Hacking 3DS dev unit in the wild!

urisma

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Howdy folks! I figured I would repost I wrote on a different forum concerning the 3DS dev model I acquired. Before anybody asks, NO IT DOES NOT PLAY ROMS!!!!!!! NONE. It doesn't even recognise real 3DS games. SO DON'T ASK.

anyway...

urisma said:
Howdy folks! I recently acquired a 3DS dev model and wanted to post all the pictures and info I can about it. I haven't had much time to play with it, but I'll share what's here.

Top screen flap is a gradient of silver going into black. The main body is all black except for the area around the cartridge dock, which is red.

It's on SDK version 0.14.23, r33437, no patch.
Memory Mode is 64 mb.

It boots into a very simple menu that allows launching the DevMenu, launching from flash cart, and closing the current info, as well as displaying the info above. Trying to launch a flash cart without one gives the following string "last result = c880448d". Pressing start enters the home menu.

The devMenu has 4 different panes, Programs, Import, ExtData, and SExtData. Programs allows launching from flash cart as well as launching 2 built in programs stored locally on the 3DS I presume (NOT on the SD card). These programs are "DS INTERNET" and "dlplay". I have not succeeded in getting either of them to run (or at least act like they're running). Clicking A on either one just brings up a black screen. They do, however, automatically turn on wireless.

The Import tab shows a browser for the SD card. The stock SD card had nothing on it. I've tried putting a few test files to see if I can import anything, but I haven't had any luck yet. Will be brute forcing file endings later.

I don't know anything about ExtData.

SExtData is also Shared Ext Data. Pressing Y initialises it, but I can't figure out what exactly that does.

It does not read DS flash carts, DS games OR 3DS games. I presume it only reads 3DS flash carts. Putting in any other cart gives an "unknown cart" error.

Model is "LTZ-CTR-S-USZ". It's copyright 2010, no 2011 on it, unlike the launch 3DS's.

Here's a link to the photo album so you can check out all the pictures I've taken. http://imageshack.us/g/405/20110627172530.jpg/

ebay: click

You'll notice on the pictures of the back of the unit that text has been whited out. I deleted the serial number and Nintendo's development contact info.

I snipped a few lines from the original writeup on a different site, since it pertained to that site only. Here's a link to the original postclick me

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Wow. this is pretty interesting. I wonder what it can do?
unsure.gif

Wow, the red cartridge slot looks completely out of place on the Black 3DS.
tongue.gif

FRONT PAGE?

shawnanastasio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please tell us the source from which you got the unit or atleast PM some of us! this is amazing and i would love to know where you obtained it.

MigueelDnd

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow, could you tell us where/how did you get that? And why bother posting this if you're selling it?
Either way, I wonder if this could this help the 3DS scene somehow? I mean, even if you don't have the 3DS cart that it requires to load games... Nice find, though (:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."