Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
3DS could feature automatic firmware updates
New 3DS anti-piracy feature
3DS-tag3.jpg

It seems like Nintendo is taking piracy seriously for the 3DS. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata says Nintendo may very well implement automatic firmware updates on the 3DS without any input from the user.

New firmware updates would bring new features, but also block any potential vulnerabilities used for hacking the system.

During a Q&A sessions Mr Iwata said the 3DS could use the system's Spotpass mode to automatically download new firmware updates.

Spotpass mode is a new feature where the 3DS will seek out wifi hospots and automatically download content while in sleep mode.

"As part of the functionality of SpotPass, we're looking into having automatic system updates via the internet," Mr Iwata said.

He also said Nintendo want to include firmware updates on the games themselves, so newer games would presumably update your system before you can play them.

"We believed this to be doable because the usable ROM size for the 3DS would become much larger," he said.

Mr Iwata said many people in the past did not updated their system's firmware, so he is looking for new ways to bring updates to the users.

It certainly looks like Nintendo will be travelling down Sony's path of constant firmware updates to block hacking. They have already released two flashcard blocking updates on the DSi. Expect things to get even harder with a whole new handheld.

icon11.gif
 Source

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Can't say I'm surprised. But when I suggested that as a possibility, everyone gawked at me that it's an "invasion of privacy" and "illegal" and who knows what.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If it's true that you can install games to the 3DS's internal memory, then I wouldn't need a flashcart for it anyway.
I buy my games, rarely pirate them or anything, but it's a bummer if you like homebrew.

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oooh shooot!!! Now what? I'm supporting developers, but I sure need a flashcard... Well I got Dragon Quest 9 on my EDGE, but I loved it and bought it for my DSi.. I really love Nintendo, but I love pirates too

Cortador

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
George Dawes said:
It would be illegal in Europe to force updates, so not something we have to worry about.

Of course they can (and no doubt will) have mandatory updates on the games, but that shouldn't be a huge problem once the system is exploited.

Hopefully it will be just like the Psp. A firmware exploit instead of having to use a flashcart.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't care, 3DS games are worth buying, I'm giving them my support this time and plus I have money to spend now lol Don't give a fuck about flashcarts, If one comes by it'd be nice but I don't mind buying decent game nevertheless.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
sstomouth said:
Fuck that shit, if it is true, Nintendo will lose sales from me and other pirates. What fags.
Money is for spending, not saving for eternity, and who even gave you the idea that other pirates will do the same as you??
I'm pirating since 2007, but with the launch of the 3DS my pirating days will be over.

I may pirate DS games, but 3DS? No way, I love that hand-held and with all my heart, I will support MOST of the developers. It's time I came out of my pirating shell.

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Frankly, if the "install games" thing is really true, I wouldn't care about being able to "pirate" games. Exceptions to that would be due to the region-locking that's probably gonna be on the 3DS; there are still gonna be good games that aren't released outside of Japan.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1