3DS charges but won't power on

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by NoNAND, Feb 2, 2019.

1. NoNAND
    OP

NoNAND Survived the fall from grace

Aug 22, 2015
    Albania
    The other plane of existence
    this is strange. a month prior to this my 3ds's circle pad fell of and i turned it off and left it untouched for a month.
    i decided to pick it up to play some DS games since they don't require the circle pad but my 3ds doesn't turn on for some reason. i thought maybe the battery had died so i let it charge overnight
    when i checked it this morning it was the same. orange charging light turns on while charging but the blue power led won't. it's an old 3ds xl eur version btw.
    what should i do

MicmasH_W likes this.
  2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Try checking the battery with a voltmeter, how much does it read?
    3,6 to 4,2 is normal for a single cell lithium rechargeable (measuring without load isn't too helpful but it's a first check)

3. NoNAND
    OP

NoNAND Survived the fall from grace

Aug 22, 2015
    Albania
    The other plane of existence
    i don't have a voltmeter dammit....

MicmasH_W likes this.
  4. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Multimeter, get one anyway.

Try a different battery. About replacement SPR-003 battery options for the o3DSXL:
    • Random shutdowns (not the battery glitch)
    • You may want to read about [2] generic battery vs kitchen scale and [3] proper battery disposal.
    • May require aftermarket battery purchased from continental Europe.
    • See Ms. Sinchen's test results for Cellonic.

When it gets really ugly:
    power supply filter, fuses, capacitors, IC charging chip:
    The AC adapter and charger port are assumed fine, but mentioning those just in case.

Late Edit: o2DSXL Circle Pad.
    • 2012 version, Ireland shipping available: [eBay] Soft Rubber Analog Controller Joystick Cap For Nintendo 3DS XL 2012 Version CA
    • I couldn't find another affordable enough option that is friendly in Ireland shipping. The above is the only generic, rubberized cap I could find. Official stuff will cost you.
    • Apparently, there are 2012 and 2014 versions of the o3DSXL circle pad... I think the 2014 version is the same part as one of the other 2DS/3DS systems.
    • If you look elsewhere, be careful as there are generic caps with plastic surfaces made to resemble OEM rubber. These ones suck.
    • Repair Guide: [iFixit] Nintendo Handheld Console

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Feb 3, 2019
    NoNAND likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted