3ds charger "popped" and now won't work

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by MandL, Jan 29, 2012.

Jan 29, 2012
  1. MandL
    OP

Newcomer MandL Advanced Member

United States
    I just purchased a 3ds from The Exchange today (used) and it was working great (it was fully charged when I got it) However when I got home I plugged it into my outlet and let it charge for 5 minutes, which is when I heard a "pop". Looking around my room I noticed that I smelt smoke and started looking around. I then noticed that the 3ds wasn't charging.
    It was plugged into a surge protector and that end of it now smells like smoke. Nothing else plugged into the surge protector experienced any sort of malfunction. Is there any way to revive the charger? Or do I just have to return it? (If so I'm going to have to wait till next Saturday)

2. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    I know this may sound odd, but can you describe in more detail what the "pop" sounded like?

3. MandL
    OP

United States
    Well I kinda sounded like when you open a can of soda. and the smoke smells very much like burnt popcorn (there's no visible smoke, just the smell).

4. Presto99

Member Presto99 You slammin, bro?

United States
    Not sure, but it sounds like it's bustied, and you'll have to return it. :(

1 person likes this.
  5. MandL
    OP

United States
    That's what i figured. It's a shame that they use propitiatory cables or else i have 3 micro usb chargers I could use. :/

think it's same to just leave it plugged in? just in case it starts working? (it's unplugged at the moment)

6. Sheimi

Member Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Japan
    Best bet is to take it back. Pretty sure you can get a different one.

7. MandL
    OP

United States
    The only problem is that unless they're open sundays I won't be able to go ask for a replacement till next week.
    I know: It's a "First World Problem" I'll manage

8. kthnxshwn
    This message by kthnxshwn has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 3, 2016.
    Jan 29, 2012
  9. Vigilante

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    Maybe you house's sockets are 220v because for what I know Nintendo chargers are only 110v so that could have destroyed the charger but since you still have warranty just ask for a new one.

10. Ammako
    This message by Ammako has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 3, 2016.
    Jan 29, 2012
  11. machomuu
    This message by machomuu has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 3, 2016.
    Jan 29, 2012
  12. ScarletCrystals

Member ScarletCrystals Useless Bunny of Paradise

Canada
    It probably short circuited due to a incomplete break somewhere in the wires. I've experienced something very similar to you before with some other charger. So yeah, the charger's pretty much useless now.

13. kthnxshwn
    This message by kthnxshwn has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 3, 2016.
    Jan 29, 2012
  14. Ammako
    This message by Ammako has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 3, 2016.
    Jan 29, 2012
  15. kthnxshwn
    Jan 29, 2012
  16. MandL
    OP

United States
    it's not that big a deal, after the first few seconds I can only smell it when I put my nose up to it

I doubt it's my home electricity. Nothing seems to be peculiar here, I've never had this happen with any other charger, including my ds lite charger

*snip

Good to know. So it's safe to say that it was a faulty charger and probably wont happen again?

17. machomuu
    This message by machomuu has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 3, 2016.
    Jan 29, 2012
  18. MandL
    This message by MandL has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 3, 2016.
    Jan 29, 2012
  19. kthnxshwn
    Jan 29, 2012
  20. Ammako
    Jan 29, 2012
  21. kthnxshwn
    Jan 29, 2012
  22. machomuu
    Jan 29, 2012
  23. Ammako
    Jan 29, 2012
  24. kthnxshwn
    Jan 29, 2012
  25. Sheimi

Member Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Japan
    Could of been a faulty charger. If you know someone who has a DsiXL charger, ask if you can use it. Both the DsiXL and the 3DS charger are the same.

26. elgarta

Member elgarta GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I had the same thing happen on my US charger when I brought it back home (Australia), I had a surge protector too. I ended up just buying one from Ebay which was dual voltage so it works here and will work fine when I go back to the US again.

Or you could get one of those DSi XL/3DS USB chargers. I imagine that would have no issues except maybe a slower charge time depending on what sort of computer/USB port you have