Hardware 3DS Button Mod

X_Frost

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone.

A while ago I found out I needed to replace my R button.

Since I will be opening my 3ds later anyway, I wanted to see if the buttons from an O3DS (regular) would fit in an N3DS (XL).

I tried measuring and the difference is slight, so I was just curious to see if it might work.

Last edited by X_Frost,

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. The o3DS buttons are too small. The little notches that prevent you from putting them in upside-down or backwards are also positioned differently, so they wouldn't fit.

Looks like a little kid trying to wear Daddy's shoes:lol:

Last edited by SmileCitrus,

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang, that would've looked really cool. Do you know if the n3DS XL colored buttons would fit in an o3DS XL?

No, they look to be about the right size, but the N3DSXL buttons have 2 notches each, whereas the buttons for the o3DSXL have 3 notches, so the n3DSXL buttons won't fit in the slots in the o3DSXL housing. The d-pad does seem to fit, but it looks almost identical to the o3DSXL d-pad, so there's not really any reason to swap them.

X_Frost

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, they look to be about the right size, but the N3DSXL buttons have 2 notches each, whereas the buttons for the o3DSXL have 3 notches, so the n3DSXL buttons won't fit in the slots in the o3DSXL housing. The d-pad does seem to fit, but it looks almost identical to the o3DSXL d-pad, so there's not really any reason to swap them.

On the other hand, the O3DSCL Buttons would fit on the N3DSXL right?

Also are you tearing up your 3ds just to show me, if you are thank you so much, I'm terrified of doing it myself.

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the other hand, the O3DSCL Buttons would fit on the N3DSXL right?

Also are you tearing up your 3ds just to show me, if you are thank you so much, I'm terrified of doing it myself.

No, that won't really work either. They kind of fit, but the notches in the housing don't line up with the slits in the buttons, so they don't sit flat.

And no, no, don't worry; these aren't my personal consoles that I tore up just to check. They all have cracked screens. I had them lying around disassembled to use eventually for spare parts, so it was easy to swap buttons around to see if any would fit.

X_Frost

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How feasible is it to use a small tool to cut notches on the buttons in order to get them to match, assuming I buy loose buttons from somewhere else?

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How feasible is it to use a small tool to cut notches on the buttons in order to get them to match, assuming I buy loose buttons from somewhere else?
I'm not very good at those types of modifications, but maybe it's something you could do if you have experience taking accurate measurements and cutting really tiny parts. But since I've never done anything like that I find it hard to imagine how it would be done or even what type of tool might be best. It seems to me like it'd very easy to accidentally cut too far and damage the buttons.

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would buttons from a N3DS fit an XL? The buttons on the red model XL are fugly. I'd love to switch them out with some colored buttons.

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would buttons from a N3DS fit an XL? The buttons on the red model XL are fugly. I'd love to switch them out with some colored buttons.
I don't have the small N3DS, so I can't actually check to confirm, but I would assume the notches in the buttons are positioned differently.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.