3DS Bottom Screen: No visuals, but backlit and touch ok? Need clues!

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Octavious Farnsworth, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Octavious Farnsworth
    OP

Octavious Farnsworth Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Problem: Lower screen has no visuals BUT is backlit AND the touch screen still works as well.
    Possible causes: I spilled some soda on it on xmas. I immediately turned it off, wiped it down, and then let it sit for two weeks before I took it apart and cleaned it twice today. Not sure if this is from the spill or if I neglected to put it together correctly.
    I'm pretty frustrated right now and could use some suggestions if anyone has a clue. Any help is good help.

[​IMG]

2. Octavious Farnsworth
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    I did not test the fuses, but this wouldn't be a fuse problem. I was thinking the LCD ribbon info or power cables might be to blame, but I really don't know which of the three ribbons is which...

3. Octavious Farnsworth
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    I just swapped out a LCD/Digitizer combo from another undiagnosed, non working (I think that one may be fuses, actually) 3DS XL and the problem remains. I can't find a thing about this anywhere online. I'm 8 hours deep in on this project, and I'm starting to think there's no clear answer on the internet. Which would astound me these days, haha.

4. LameNobody

LameNobody Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2015
    Canada
    What did you use to clean it?
    Have you checked for corrosion on the ribbon connectors?

5. Octavious Farnsworth
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Isopropyl Alcohol and Q-tips.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

This is truly confounding me. Are there other good boards or resources for technical problems like mine? When I was searching the web, this seemed like my best bet, so I posted here.

6. SmileCitrus

SmileCitrus GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2009
    United States
    Try cleaning the P8 connector with isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush. The bristles should make it a bit easier to clean inside than with a q-tip.

It's possible the lower LCD itself is bad, since liquid can eat away at the ribbon cable and break the conductors. But since you tried another LCD and had the same problem, it seems more likely it's the connector.

LameNobody likes this.