Hardware 3DS black screen after trying to update

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hadn't updated since 2016 as I was updating today to try to play Metroid Return of Samus. I followed this guide

https://3ds.hacks.guide/a9lh-to-b9s.html

But I missed updating until the end (stupid I know). I tried updating but it kept failing now it just gives me a black screen. The only thing I can do is hold start when powering up to get into Godmode9. I did these steps

Copy <date>_<serialnumber>_sysnand_###.bin, essential.exefs, and boot9.bin from the /gm9/out/ folder on your SD card to a safe location on your computerCopy <date>_<serialnumber>_sysnand_###.bin, essential.exefs, and boot9.bin from the /gm9/out/ folder on your SD card to a safe location on your computer

So I'm hoping I can restore it? Just need some help.

thanks

bananapi761

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So you have a sysnand backup? Try copying it back to your SD and open Godmode9 and press the home button to open the scripts menu. Then choose the option to restore the NAND backup. I'm not fully sure of where the backup should be placed, but try putting it back into /gm9/out/. However if this was done after the black screen issue then you're probably out of luck. A last ditch effort would be the recovery update mode (A+R+L+Up) on startup.

Reactions: EmulateLife

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you have a sysnand backup? Try copying it back to your SD and open Godmode9 and press the home button to open the scripts menu. Then choose the option to restore the NAND backup. I'm not fully sure of where the backup should be placed, but try putting it back into /gm9/out/. However if this was done after the black screen issue then you're probably out of luck. A last ditch effort would be the recovery update mode (A+R+L+Up) on startup.

No it was done before the black screen. I'm in stalling the ctrnand_full.bin right now.

I choose sysnand restore (safe) I hope that's right.

Edit: it worked! TY so very much. I'm afraid to ask but can I update to play Metroid Return of Samus?

Last edited by ,

TyDye

Linux and 3DS geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it was done before the black screen. I'm in stalling the ctrnand_full.bin right now.

Edit: it worked! TY so very much. I'm afraid to ask but can I update to play Metroid Return of Samus?
if that dose not work then please try this https://3ds.hacks.guide/ctrtransfer.html

bananapi761

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

What version are you on right now? And do you have B9S and Luma installed?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You can update through the game update, you won't get ban that way anyway.

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It worked. I'm currently on sys 11.0.0-33U with bootstrap and luma. I'm too afraid to update through the main system again is there another way to update?

bananapi761

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Updating from there should be safe as B9S and Luma are usually update-proof, but 11.8 (latest) made Luma incompatible. You'll need to manually replace the Luma boot.firm after you update with the latest version. Even if it doesn't work again you can replace the NAND backup again.
Link - https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep getting an error when trying to update. I don't have the best internet where I live but I went to a mcdonalds and couldn't connect there either and that's when it went to black screen. Would updating through the game be the best for me?

bananapi761

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I keep getting an error when trying to update. I don't have the best internet where I live but I went to a mcdonalds and couldn't connect there either and that's when it went to black screen. Would updating through the game be the best for me?
I don't know if that will help but it's worth a try. Also make sure there aren't any DNS settings added to your 3DS' network settings, or try a different hotspot. It's possible free hotspots could have cut you off mid-download, which caused the black screen.

Last edited by bananapi761,

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll probably have to get it to a place with better internet tomorrow. I just hope I'm not banned. Thanks for everyone's help.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried it again at home the download failed and it messed up again lol. At least I know how to fix it now. Is it supposed to mess up if the update fails?

bananapi761

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tried it again at home the download failed and it messed up again lol. At least I know how to fix it now. Is it supposed to mess up if the update fails?
Strange, updates should always work on cfw. Are you sure you don't have any DNS settings added, or have you installed arm9loaderhax before? Also, does the download actually finish or does it cut out?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update to the latest boot9strap v1.3, GodMode v1.7.1, and Luma3DS v9.1.

Make sure you update the custom firmware on both your SD card and CTRNAND.
After your CFW stuff is up to date, you can either update to 11.8.0-41U using Recovery Mode.

If Recovery Mode doesn't work nor does downgrading with CTRTransfer first then updating by System Settings, try repairing by updating to 11.7.0-41U using sysUpdater and that darth site for firmware package. Put the NAND based *.cias in the updates folder on the root of SD card. Do not use FBI to install firmware CIAs.
  • n3DS 11.7 USA: 5a4b4a1c9358654b43625ca33b4cb4f8
  • o3DS 11.7 USA: 7a5957c8e4a143e4fae216b63738e7b7

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using all the latest files I just updated them yesterday using the guide. I actually tried Metroid without updating and it played even though I'm on 11.00. Is that because I updated Luma so I can play newer games? I really don't have a need to update now I just wanted to play Metroid. May want to play Bowser's Inside Story when it comes out.

bananapi761: everything's set to automatic. I just added the connections yesterday. I did have A9lH before.

But I'm kind of spooked by 11.8 anyway with how it breaks Luma. I think i'll stay where I'm at. With Metroid playing without updating I have no reason to update.

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol newegg+