3ds and 3ds xl scratches

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by fossda, Aug 24, 2012.

Aug 24, 2012

3ds and 3ds xl scratches by fossda at 2:37 PM (5,168 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. fossda
    OP

Member fossda GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I have a 3ds and a 3ds xl. On my 3ds, I have scratches on the top screen from the bottom screen like alot of other people, and also my d-pad is cracked slightly.

On my 3ds xl, I have a couple of small scratches on the top of my console, one small scratch to the left of the notification led, and also the 3ds xl has seemed to of scratched itself in the middle of the console between the two screens.

Anyone else have these problems? Any way to get rid of these scratches?

2. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    By right, the 3DS XL should not have such issues at all. Mine has zero scratches.

Yours I think is due to improper handling (not by you of course). You should send it back for a replacement.

3. fossda
    OP

United Kingdom
    what about my original 3ds?

4. insidexdeath

Member insidexdeath .

United Kingdom
    The original 3DS already had this issue since launch.

5. Lanlan

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    My 3DS got scratched because a drunk dude knocked it off my couch onto a hardwood floor.

2 people like this.
  6. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    On the original it's a design flaw.

On the XL it shouldn't even happen because the two knobs are there to prevent screen scratching.

1 person likes this.
  7. Lucifer666

Member Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Antarctica
    I have both systems too.

Well on my original 3DS I was having these marks on my top screen from the edges of the bottom screen, but they weren't scratches. They were more like smudges. They were never a serious issue with my screen protector.
    Try rubbing it with eyeglasses cloth. Are you 100% sure it's a scratch?

As for the XL I can definitely confirm it has no design flaw, and its design cannot be the cause of scratches, smudges and the like.

8. kongsnutz

Member kongsnutz QuickTimeEvent

Australia
    Got a silver Xl today, yeh I agree it shouldn't happen.

9. fossda
    OP

United Kingdom
    the only one I think was because of the system itself on my 3ds xl was the scratches in the middle. There was on tiny one there before from when I was flicking the touch screen with the stylus on Funfair carnival Games, but when I closed it, put it in my pocket, and opened it, 2 more tiny scratches had appeared there. I'vee tried rubbing off the scratches from both consoles with a cloth from an LCD screen cleaner set, but none of them rubbed off.

10. Lucifer666

Member Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Antarctica
    The only thing I can think of is perhaps an awful lot of dust accumulating then closing the screen to cause scratches..

But it's very unlikely, especially with the increased scratch resistance on the XL. How odd.

11. fossda
    OP

United Kingdom
    the screens on the 3ds xl are not scratched at all. I do admit, even though there was no dust when I put it in my pocket, there was alot of dust when I took it out my pocket. Or maybe I just didn't notice them before I put it in my pocket...

12. retrodoctor

Banned retrodoctor Banned

United States
    Seriously, I have no idea what types of crazy base jumping you must do to get all those scratches. I have an XL and a Hori screen protector, sure, but no scratches whatsoever.

13. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    Use displex to remove the scratches, it works, I've tried it.
    Make sure the screen is clean and do it with a new microfiber cloth, use circular motions and you have to remember that it takes time, like 10-20 minutes.

Also to avoid the bottom screen edges from touching the top one in the future you should cut out a strip of screen protector and apply it above the upper screen itself.
    Like this:

[​IMG]
    This way you don't have to cover the screen and you put some distance between the two surfaces.

1 person likes this.
  14. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    @OP

Can you upload a pic?

15. retrodoctor

United States
    Just jumping to say that putting a "strip of a screen protector" here would not stop the bottom screen from scratching the top.

16. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    Yes it does because it works for me and I always bring my 3DS with me.
    It creates a gap between the screen area and the bottom screen edges when under pressure, I used to get slight smudges before.
    I keep my system clean btw.

It depends on how elevated your system's rubber pads are, if one strip isn't enough you could always put another one on top doubling the distance.

17. retrodoctor

United States
    A strip of any thin plastic (e.g. a screen protector) would have less depth than the height of the bottom touch screen surface regardless of where you place it. There's a reason why they sell entire screen protectors and not just strips. Also why people resort to using cabinet bumpers on the top screen. Your device just hasn't been scratched yet like millions of other people's. However, you aren't preventing any scratching by having a strip there.

18. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    Stop saying things you don't know dude.
    I've had mine since a week or so after launch, I used to get smudge lines once in a while but now that just doesn't happen anymore if I keep my system clean (something I've always done), I still take it with me so I know it's put under pressure at times.
    The strips would rest ontop of the start/select section when the system is closed, the start/home/select part is exactly the same height as the edges which causes the lines.
    That means that when the top screen is resting above those eges the strip is inbetween creating height difference to prevent those parts from touching.

They sell entire screenprotectors to protect the screen, but I want to avoid using one because dust and stuff easily get scaught in between and it's really visible with 3D on.

[​IMG]
    Look at the pic and see where the strip would land when closed... the start/home/select portion right?
    That part is at the same height as the edges that causes the smudge problem.

19. BenRK

Member BenRK GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I can confirm that the "classic" parallel scratches caused by the bottom screen have a possibility of happening with the XL, though much MUCH more remote. I have noticed smudges on the top screen of my XL that look suspiciously familiar. They were easily wiped away, but I still don't like the thought of it happening.

Perhaps it will always remain a smudge, as at least the bottom screen has a solid bezel while the the original does not.

20. retrodoctor

United States
    I hope you realize that adding less than a yoctometer of space on top of the start, select, and home buttons would not help stop scratching the screen. This is like saying wearing a helmet will prevent any bodily harm because your head would hit the pavement first, thus causing the rest of your body to successfully flow onto it. I know you think you're right here and that you've done all the proper analysis and have stressed all possible outcomes, but you're dutifully wrong and it's easy to show.

Also, it's fine if you want to continue doing this. Personally, I wouldn't because I know it's not protecting anything. However, if you want to suggest others do it, please use correct information and not "it works for me."