Hardware 3DS Analog Stick Mod (With Poll)

Would this mod work?

• Total voters

X_Frost

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just over at the ModRetro Forums and I saw this mod to the 3ds Analog Stick.
It replaces the default cover for the analog with one from the gamecube using a PSP analog as the base.

I know that's the intended purpose of that mod is for portable consoles, but it looked amazing and I really wanted to try it out.

6098175849_bf42d6a5a7_z.jpg

My main concern is the size of the new modded analog compared to the original and if my 3DS would be able to close.

Since I mentioned in another thread that I have to open it up anyways I was willing to try it for comfort reasons

TLDR A few questions:

Would a PSP Analog fit on an N3DS Analog Base? (as I already know it fits on an O3DS)
If Yes, would this mod prevent me from closing the N3DS when not in use?
How do I prevent the Gamecube analog from wearing out?

Last edited by X_Frost,

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I was just over at the ModRetro Forums and I saw this mod to the 3ds Analog Stick.
It erplaces the default cover for the analog with one from the gamecube using a PSP analog as the base.

I know that's the intended purpose of that mod is for portable consoles, but it looked amazing and I really wanted to try it out.

6098175849_bf42d6a5a7_z.jpg

My main concern is the size of the new modded analog compared to the original and if my 3DS would be able to close.

Since I mentioned in another thread that I have to open it up anyways I was willing to try it for comfort reasons

TLDR A few questions:

Would a PSP Analog fit on an N3DS Analog Base? (as I already know it fits on an O3DS)
If Yes, would this mod prevent me from closing the N3DS when not in use?
How do I prevent the Gamecube analog from wearing out?

PSP Go analog is designed to be nearly flat for fitting into the sliding mechanism, so it might be worth a try. Though i doubt it is more comfortable than stock one.

X_Frost

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSP Go analog is designed to be nearly flat for fitting into the sliding mechanism, so it might be worth a try. Though i doubt it is more comfortable than stock one.

Since I've been playing so much smash on the WiiU with the controller, I just got used to it.

As much as I like the 3ds Analogs' after a while they just get really slippery and it bothers me.

The Gamecubes don't bother me as much so I figure it's worth a shot.

Also it has to be a Classic PSP analog because it's removable and can sit on the 3DS (but not sure about the new one).

Last edited by X_Frost,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As much as I like the 3ds Analogs' after a while they just get really slippery and it bothers me.
As an alternative solution... I was also having trouble with finding the circle pad slippery and I eventually found these thumb grips, for the n3ds (regular or xl) that do allow the console to close normally. That's the manufacturer's website, it looks like you might be able to buy them from there - I got them from some other mail order site that I can't find at the moment.

edit: It was this site I bought it from. There's a choice of colours, tho at the time I ordered, they only had the black in stock, so that's what I bought. What you get for a single order is actually a pack of six, with three different designs.

Last edited by hippy dave,

X_Frost

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As an alternative solution... I was also having trouble with finding the circle pad slippery and I eventually found these thumb grips, for the n3ds (regular or xl) that do allow the console to close normally.

Already have them, but I was looking for something more permanent.

WallK

Get off my lawn
Trophies
XP
Country
There's less than 1mm gap between stock analog and the surface of the top part on NN3DSXL.
No, you can't close NN3DSXL with this thing on. Not sure about the gap on nonXL one, but you can check yourself: just look through closed 3ds on the lamp or another source of light. You can also take something that has known thickness and try to stick in between analog and a cover.

X_Frost

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's less than 1mm gap between stock analog and the surface of the top part on NN3DSXL.
No, you can't close NN3DSXL with this thing on. Not sure about the gap on nonXL one, but you can check yourself: just look through closed 3ds on the lamp or another source of light. You can also take something that has known thickness and try to stick in between analog and a cover.

I noticed this with the pads that @hippy dave recommended. It wont close properly on the left side, which is one of the other reasons I wanted to do this mod.

link6155

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Possible.. but not practical. The reason why it's a disk and not a nub is because it slides around. Also, I think having a nub would make closing the 3DS not possible.

X_Frost

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Possible.. but not practical. The reason why it's a disk and not a nub is because it slides around. Also, I think having a nub would make closing the 3DS not possible.

Looking at the cover hippy_deve mentioned it seems like this might be the case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free