Gaming 3DS ambassador games out in NA (For some people)

Melee54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Tjekken said:
rolandpibb said:
Melee54 said:
What the heck kind of control scheme is this for Super Mario Bros?!??

Hold B to run and A to jump? That worked on the NES but not a DS! What kind of dumb uncomfortable idea was that? It should be Y to run and B to jump.

Another incredibly stupid oversight on Nintendo's behalf. Because of the control set up this game is unplayable for me. I was so excited for this game, now I will never play it. What a waste.

Urban Champion? Really? And now a ridiculous control setup for one of the biggest videogames of all time? REALLY???

I have lost faith in this company.

What is wrong with A and B? , on GBA its also B to run and A to jump
wink.gif

Yes, but A and B on a gba felt consistent to the SNES and NES. They're using the wrong set of buttons for a DS, though. Once I get the rest of these games, I'm gonna see about selling my 3DS. "Incredibly stupid oversight" isn't saying enough! Sigh.

Telal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hanafuda said:
SpaceJump said:
Hanafuda said:
rolandpibb said:
Melee54 said:

Hold B to run and A to jump? That worked on the NES but not a DS! What kind of dumb uncomfortable idea was that? It should be Y to run and B to jump.

Another incredibly stupid oversight on Nintendo's behalf. Because of the control set up this game is unplayable for me. I was so excited for this game, now I will never play it. What a waste.

Urban Champion? Really? And now a ridiculous control setup for one of the biggest videogames of all time? REALLY???

It worked on the NES, worked on the revised NES (i.e. dogbone controllers), worked on the SNES, worked on the GBA, and it works on the 3DS. It's the correct control scheme. Have no idea what you guys are even talking about.
On Super Mario All-Stars you jump with B and run with Y... Just how it naturally should be...

On Super Mario All-Stars you can have it either way. But I'll guess we'll have to disagree with whether the alternate control scheme is "how it naturally should be," because I first played the game on NES in 1986 and that's how my thumb works.

I'd have to agree with you on this one... but I'm not crab people and cannot vouch for what would feel comfortable to one of them. Then again I was 3 in 86 when I first played SMB so maybe I've just had a lot of time to grow accustomed to it.

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got all of them downloaded. Turns out, NARPAS SWORD cheat in Metroid still works. Zelda II has the flashy screen when you die
biggrin.gif

Seaking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey, i would like to note something.

if you can see the games in "account activities" but can not download them, go into "Your Downloads" and you will be able to
biggrin.gif
! thats how i got mine.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hanafuda said:
SpaceJump said:
Hanafuda said:
rolandpibb said:
Melee54 said:

It worked on the NES, worked on the revised NES (i.e. dogbone controllers), worked on the SNES, worked on the GBA, and it works on the 3DS. It's the correct control scheme. Have no idea what you guys are even talking about.
On Super Mario All-Stars you jump with B and run with Y... Just how it naturally should be...

On Super Mario All-Stars you can have it either way. But I'll guess we'll have to disagree with whether the alternate control scheme is "how it naturally should be," because I first played the game on NES in 1986 and that's how my thumb works.
It feels unnatural for me because A is higher than B. That's why most emulators use B=A and Y=B. It feels unnatural because nearly all other games jump with B and run/attack with Y on a four button layout.

Oh, and I too played the games back then on NES. But this has nothing to do with the NES controller because on that A and B were on the same height.

The question is why can't Nintendo do something hombrew developers can (customizable controls)?

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
XD I can't wait to see people whing about the GBA games control scheme. OMFG the Y&B combo is not possible OMG OMG OMG.

GET A LIFE PEOPLE. Just whining because of button differences.

I can play on both settings and I prefer A&B above B&Y!

But people please..

Now lets get back on topic; how is the emulation? I am in Europe and we got screwed. ;P

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SpaceJump said:
Hanafuda said:
SpaceJump said:
Hanafuda said:
rolandpibb said:
Melee54 said:

It feels unnatural for me because A is higher than B. That's why most emulators use B=A and Y=B. It feels unnatural because nearly all other games jump with B and run/attack with Y on a four button layout.

Oh, and I too played the games back then on NES. But this has nothing to do with the NES controller because on that A and B were on the same height.

The question is why can't Nintendo do something hombrew developers can (customizable controls)?

Actually, they changed that before NES was done.

NES-Dogbone-vs-Brick.jpg

As for "The question is why can't Nintendo do something hombrew developers can (customizable controls)?" it may be something they include with the final, retail versions of these games (which ambassador people also get free), but for these initial releases it was explained pretty well beforehand that it was to be a bare-bones experience only, i.e. no special features. If Nintendo doesn't include the option in the retail versions, then you'll have something worth complaining about. But I don't get people complaining that these games are effectively the exact same experience as they were on the NES when that's exactly what Nintendo announced we'd be getting at first, with a free upgrade coming later.

Melee54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just took these pics -

See what I mean? It's like when they changed the control scheme of Kirby Superstar. I couldn't even play through the DS version because of it. Don't get why it's so hard to implement custom controls.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte