Hardware 3d screen rendering cost?

ryan90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been wondering this for a while but keep forgetting to make a topic. To create a 3d image the same scene has to be rendered twice from two different perspectives, i know the cost won't be twice as much since you already have textures, filters, AI and most things already rendered, but surely there will be a cost?

So what is the processing cost in % when rendering a scene from one angle, compared to rendering the same scene from 2 angles?

Does this cause a noticeable decrease in graphics quality?

Edit: And what about after processing like AA and AF and bloom, these would need to be applied twice i think

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
According to Sony, it's double. Remember the 3DS screen has an actual resolution of 800x240.

I imagine there are ways it can be optimized, but it may take time for developers to do that.

Things like AI will be done on the CPU.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
For the PS3, I imagine it would be double... it has raw power alone, and no specialized hardware to help with the stereoscopic effect. The 3DS was designed from the ground up with 3-D in mind, so Nintendo may very well have included some kind of additional hardware in order to help reduce that rendering cost. It would be similar to the difference in encoding HD H.264 video with a CPU alone, or using a special encoding chip to take a lot of the load off.

D

Deleted-247497

well for the ps3 it would really be less graphically challenging than split screen, because of usuing the same textures and stuff like ryan said, so it probably wont have a HUUGEE issue with doing it, although i guess in split screen its not showing 1080p either so i dont know

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.