OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
frown.gif

QUOTE said:
3D Realms, still plugging away at the slightly delayed Duke Nukem Forever, may have given up the ghost, as the Texas-based developer is rumored to have shut down.

We heard from an anonymous tipster earlier today of 3D Realms demise, with Shacknews reporting the very same thing, citing a "very reliable source" close to the Duke Nukem dev. According to 3D Realms co-founder George Broussard, the game was "closing out a milestone this week" as of mid-April, but little progress had been publicized outside of video and screen shot teasers from last Summer.

First announced in April 1997, Duke Nukem Forever has been ridiculed for its extended development schedule, with 3D Realms employees sticking to a "When it's done" release date.

But Broussard hinted earlier this year that the game was getting closer to finally shipping, writing on his Twitter account "Game developers often say 'Cutting is shipping'. We begin this year with a vengeance and a chainsaw." The game appeared to at least be making some sort of tangible progress, with 3D Realms releasing game screenshots and artwork from Duke Nukem Forever.

We've reached out to staffers at 3D Realms for clarification.

Update 1: Take-Two has responded, adding a little clarity to the situation, but not solid confirmation. "It is the Company's policy to not comment on its contractual relationships, nor do we comment on rumors and speculation. That said, we can confirm that our relationship with 3D Realms for Duke Nukem Forever was a publishing arrangement, which did not include ongoing funds for development of the title. In addition, Take-Two continues to retain the publishing rights to Duke Nukem Forever."? - Alan Lewis, Vice President of Corporate Communications & Public Affairs for Take-Two.

While 3D Realms may be finished, Duke Nukem Forever may not. Well, we know it's not finished, but it's not done. Okay, it's not done either, or else it would be out.... look, the game's not dead, OK? Not officially anyway. Take-Two may hand off development to another studio, one a little speedier than 3D Realms.

Update 2: 3D Realms webmaster Joe Siegler has, posting on the company's forums, seemingly confirmed the closure, saying "It's not a marketing thing. It's true. I have nothing further to say at this time."

3D Realms have bought us such gems as:
Duke Nukem I, II & 3D
Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure
Bio Menace
Monster Bash
Rise of the Triad
Realms of Chaos
Shadow Warrior

Apparently the last game they developed all the way from start to finish was Shadow Warrior in 1997, though they were the original devs for Blood (later developed by Monolith). They did also develop Prey but then later got Humanhead Studios to finish it after it was delayed for several years. I guess that is why the closed, there was a time when they used to release a good game every year. I wonder if 2K will get someone to finish Duke Nukem Forever.

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that kinda sucks. Can't say I didn't see if coming though. Actually surprised it hasn't started sooner. It's like, what the hell? Where are your games? Didn't know it was even possible for a company to exist that long while not producing anything. Oh well...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol