Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Bronchus_Printed.jpg

As somebody that had breathing problems as a child, I know how limiting it can be. Most can people outgrow their breathing problems within a few years (two years of playing the trumpet really helped me), but when the problems start as an infant with a still-developing body, it can be a serious concern.

This was the case for Kaiba, who started being unable to breathe at just six weeks old. After a few weeks in a standard hospital, the family took Kaiba to the University of Michigan's Mott Children’s Hospital in order to check out a possible operation involving 3D printing new parts of his respiratory system.

It turns out that implanting 3D-printed organs in the US is currently illegal depending on the material, but the university was able to obtain special permission for a one-time operation. Kaiba had CT scans done, then a new bronchus 3D-printed from PCL (a popular material for studies and these tests as the body seems to accept it and it'll dissolve in 2-3 years) was modeled after the scans. The new tissue was sewn into place successfully.
Dr. Green said:
It was amazing. As soon as the splint was put in, the lungs started going up and down for the first time and we knew he was going to be OK.

icon11.gif
Source

I got it before Gahars, yayyyy!

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Read about this a week or so back on Ars Technica, but nevertheless still fantastic news. As I happen to have a few 3D printers available (Production Engineering at a University of Technology), this is interesting news. The things 3D printing can do so far is absolutely amazing and I can see a ton of other concepts being made in the long run.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's so freaking cool :O
Technology is so astounding nowadays.
Baby has a nice name btw. Wonder if the parents were YuGiOh fans :P

Hope that they were fans of the other Kaiba ...that would make the name even more awesome (since that anime is one of the best I've watched in recent times..)

Edit: Looks like the source is kinda wrong ...it didn't received new bronchus (that's one of the things that the source seemed to tell..). He only received a splint, that made his bronchus more open, so the limbs could work again (the 3d bronchus was just to test if the splint would fit)
You can see things more clearly in the video:

Reactions: Rydian

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
the plastic was put into his body?

The "device" in question was 3D-printed from a biocompatible polymer known as polycaprolactone (PCL). PCL is growing in popularity in tissue engineering studies as it is generally gentle on the body and dissolves within two to three years -- providing structural support while the body recolonizes a damaged tissue.

Polycaprolactone_Wide.jpg
Polycaprolactone is produced from caprolactone, a cyclic compound found in heated milk fat.

Check the Sause son ...there's also that handy video

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: