PS1/2 3d printed 3.5" to 2.5" hard drive spacer

Daoxer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got myself an off brand sata network adapter off Amazon the other day. I want to use a 2.5" hard drive versus an older 3.5" drive as that is what I have available. I also really don't like the idea that the hard drive is not supported by anything other than the sata connector. So I googled and found at least one other person had the same idea:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ps2/comments/j5j2uh/25_hard_drive_spacer/

So, I decided I will be designing a 3d printed spacer for the 2.5" drive. I figured while I was at it, someone else might be interested as well. So I am wondering if anyone else would be interested in one?

spacer.jpg

Izula

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh very nice, was just looking around to a solution such as this but for 3.5 as it seems to hang a little bit as well. btw just got around to fitting the new version of the fan mod you sent me a while back, fits perfect.

Last edited by Izula,

Daoxer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
very good idea, i'm also using a 2.5 hdd for my PS2 fat.
But do you use something to hold the bracked in place?

The bracket is held in with a light friction fit. You have to pull to get it out. It will not just fall out.

Oh very nice, was just looking around to a solution such as this but for 3.5 as it seems to hang a little bit as well. btw just got around to fitting the new version of the fan mod you sent me a while back, fits perfect.

What do you mean for a 3.5" drive hanging?

I'm very glad to hear the new fan mounting plate worked well for you!

Reactions: Alexander1970

Daoxer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, they will be available shortly. I just sent one to a friend to get his thoughts on it. It broke in the mail. So, its getting some reinforcement added to it.

If you want one right away, shoot me a PM and we can get one off to you.

Last edited by Daoxer,
Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Yes, they will be available shortly. I just sent one to a friend to get his thoughts on it. It broke in the mail. So, its getting some reinforcement added to it.

If you want one right away, shoot me a PM and we can get one off to you.
I'm not desperate (as in, I'd rather have the reinforced one) but will send a PM! thanks

Daoxer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the updated / reinforced version ready to go. It has an extra rib on it just for shipping strength. Here are a few pictues.

Spacer3.jpg

Spacer5.jpg

Attachments

• Spacer3.jpg
    Spacer3.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 207
  • Spacer5.jpg
    Spacer5.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 184

Daoxer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is a valid option. However, I would rather have a more robust product than one that needs fancy packaging.

Daoxer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a small update here. I have updated this design. After seeing how well the 3.5" HDD bracket has been working, I went back and changed the drive spacer to a similar design. This new design holds the hard drive or SSD in place a bit nicer than the older design.

Here are a couple pictures.

spacer01.jpg

spacer04.jpg

Spacer07.jpg

Last edited by Daoxer,

Visual Studio

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo