3D Gaming is F***ing Amazing

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by LightyKD, Jun 29, 2015.

1. finkmac

finkmac GBAtemp Fan

Nov 9, 2011
    Canada
    Over there
    I dunno. I like the 3D effect, but I don't use it all the time… Some games, I always have it on. Others, I never turn it on,

2. elmoemo

elmoemo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 4, 2012
    Mine is on 3d 90% of the time. I love it

3. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    I love the 3D effect on my N3DS. Starfox 64 3D, NSM3DL, RE:Revelations, MK7, all have 3D on all the time :)

At first my eyes felt strained or unable to focus, but I got used to it. Also totally get what someone said above about feeling a bit weird that the 3DS is tracking your eyes :lol:

4. boomario

boomario Nothing to say here.

Oct 31, 2012
    Brazil
    I can't see 3D effects like the 3DS one or that colored glasses... :ohnoes:

5. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    I use the 3D on my 3DS XL, and it does occasionally add to the emersion, but it's little more than a gimmick 90% of the time. The 3DS sells well because its library is bulletproof, not because it's in 3D. To be honest I think short of inventing a full hard light holodeck a la Star Trek, no graphical gimmick is ever going to impress me.

6. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    What about in the Real World (TM)?

7. Smuff

Smuff Fossilized Gamer

Jul 29, 2006
    By the sea
    I don't get the appeal - everything I see everyday is in 3D. I don't run around going "Wow.... look at that pencil dude" or "That wheelie bin looks sooooo realistic"

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  8. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    ... because you know that those things are real. Presumably the appeal of 3D is that it creates an illusion of an object with depth when you know that object isn't really there.

LightyKD likes this.
  9. caboyzcoti

caboyzcoti Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    I agree with you here. I hate when a game has lazy 3d because it can add a layer of subtle precision to your game when done well. In such a way that it doesn't take away from the game when the 3d is turned off but can add value when on.

10. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Can't remember word for word what Irish comedian Dara O Briein said about 3D, but it went something like:

'We had it in the 50s, we had it in the 80s, and we're having it now in 2010 - it's a once in a generation problem, like polio, and hopefully will go away soon'

...Which pretty much nails it for me! :D

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  11. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    We both should try this out:

boomario likes this.
  12. Smuff

Smuff Fossilized Gamer

Jul 29, 2006
    By the sea
    I am aware of that. I was being deliberately obtuse in an attempt at humour. I apologise, it won't happen again :wacko:

BORTZ likes this.
  13. dontay0100

dontay0100 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 18, 2007
    United States
    I for one love 3D gaming!! Gears of War 3, Call of Duty Black Ops 2, Uncharted 3!! so epic in 3D!

14. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    OIC. Sorry I'm not very good at spotting humour. You don't need to refrain from humour on my account ;)

15. Smuff

Smuff Fossilized Gamer

Jul 29, 2006
    By the sea
    I really should - for everyone's sake lol :)

BORTZ and elmoemo like this.
  16. qwerblim

qwerblim Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2015
    I need to try this out! I enjoyed Uncharted 3 in 3D, and excited for the newer releases being 3D compatible too!

17. Fat D

Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 18, 2006
    Germany
    One thing I really like about the 3DS is rendering text boxes in a plane noticably above the game proper, especially in top-down games like Pokémon. Other than that, it does not really "wow" me, but it is still a nice to have feature.

18. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Purgatory
    It's good when it's done right. Trine 2 on the PS4 looks amazing in 3D. Most other 3D games I've tried just have a half-arsed 'layered' effect. Some don't even have that - they just put depth between the HUD and the game. The game itself (the polygonal 3D environment) is as one flat, 2D layer.

19. qwerblim

qwerblim Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2015
    You have hit the nail on the head with that one. I HATE it when a game that's not meant to be in 3D says it's 3D. It's such a waste of time and the layered effect just ruins the entire game from the beginning for me.

20. ravihpa

ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    I absolutely love my N3DS and I play all my games with the 3D slider turned all the way up. It's really hard to explain how 3D makes a lot of difference in 3DS games. It literally puts "depth" in the gameplay :D