3D Gaming is F***ing Amazing

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by LightyKD, Jun 29, 2015.

1. LightyKD
    OP

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Am I the only person here that absolutely loves 3D gaming?

Vipera and KingVamp like this.
  2. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    Depends on what you mean with that...

[​IMG]

That game is a 3D platformer, and it's also amazing... ..so if that counts, sure! I agree with you :P

BORTZ, Ammako, HaloEffect17 and 2 others like this.
  3. caboyzcoti

caboyzcoti Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    I always keep my 3d slider all the way up on my 3ds. It just feels wrong playing a 3ds in 2d, unless the game doesn't support it. I feel like it adds a clarity that is unique to 3d displays. At least with games that aren't meant to look totally real.

yuyuyup, Korma, elmoemo and 1 other person like this.
  4. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    unfortunately its just a gimmick, nice for the first 5-10 mins, then it gets turned off never to be used again
    not just for the 3ds but also regular 3d enabled games

5. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Pretty much this.

3D hasn't ever really added anything valuable to gaming.

6. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    I am not at all surprised that LightyKD was the one to make this thread.

lismati, Vengenceonu, BORTZ and 9 others like this.
  7. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I completely forgot my 3DS supports stereoscopic 3D. I get the appeal of it, but I don't care, I don't enjoy it. At least not in its current form. It causes headaches, drops the performance of the game tremendously, and requires me to hold my 3DS in a very specific position. I've heard the N3DS supports far better stereoscopic 3D, but I don't care much for the 3D effect, especially not enough to spend a $100+. VR does look promising, though.

Last edited by TecXero, Jun 29, 2015
  8. jimskeet2002

jimskeet2002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 8, 2009
    Greece
    Lol I have been playing my o3ds since launch and new 3dsxl since launch. Haven't played a single game without the 3d slider fully on!
    It just adds so much more sharpness to the image and the 3d effect is so awesome! It might not add much on gameplay but it looks fckin awesome! I cannot imagine how you play with the slider turned off. Really...

KingVamp likes this.
  9. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I tried 3DS with 3D activated - Didn't really wow me at all. A month ago I watched Jurassic World in 3D and it was okay but nothing impressive either.

I'm still yet to be amazed by 3D.

10. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I think I once played a game that was set in a 3D environment. It was pretty good. :)

/sarcasm

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Yeah, 3D screens are pretty lame. I turn the 3D on for the occasional cutscene, but other than that I don't want to strain my eyes when gaming and trade the 3D for smoother framerate. I can see the appeal of Oculus Rift-style devices, but conventional stereoscopy is not fit for purpose - it's just a fishbowl with low-res cardboard cutouts.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  12. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Said nobody ever.

/thread

;O;

13. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    >plays on O3ds
    >my eyes, hurt omg....

>plays on a N3ds
    >stable 3d is amazing
    >feels weird with the feeling the camera is always reading your eyes,
    >nintendo is looking through my soul
    >freaks out

14. LightyKD
    OP

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Actually, I dont even own a 3DS but I do have a Google Cardboard and a 3D Video Wizard and I enjoy them both. I plan to get another 2d to 3d converter soon.

15. cherryduck

cherryduck GBAtemp Regular

Jul 1, 2007
    The far side of the moon
    Your brain actually learns to see manufactured 3D. It frustrates me when people say 3D is rubbish, you just haven't given yourself enough time to adjust. When you do, it seems a lot more natural, you don't get achey eyes or headaches and the 3D effect is much more impressive.

Mylink5 likes this.
  16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    ...except some people just can't see it due to medical conditions and others are just not impressed by it. It's not like you're staring at an actual impressive hologram, it's still a flat surface, just with some fake depth.

17. cherryduck

cherryduck GBAtemp Regular

Jul 1, 2007
    The far side of the moon
    Fair enough, not saying it has the possibility of being awesome to everyone but the majority of people I speak to IRL about 3D, be it gaming or movies, will say "I don't like 3D" and when pressed they've seen one film in the cinema or something, which is not enough time for your brain to adjust.

18. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    I for one enjoy it, even on my 3DS. While it is a gimmick for the most part, I don't really get tired of the 3D, as I find it easier for playing some games, such as Mario Kart. Once you get used to the physics and the way the game handles, it's much easier to judge distance than without it.

19. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    I love playing 3D games but I hate how many 3DS games got an awful 3D mode. There should be a list of games with decent fps in 3D mode or something.

20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    There's a big difference between how 3D is achieved with a projector and how 3D is done in video games. Projectors don't render images - everything's already on film, so as long as you have film made with two angles, you're golden. With games it's different - any form of 3D requires double the frames which often times negatively impacts performance. If it's a shutters system, you lose out on framerate (for obvious reasons) and it's tiring to your eyes due to all the flashing of the shutters. If it's a parallax barrier like on the 3DS, you're entering jaggies country the moment you switch the feature on since half the pixels have to be dedicated to one eye and half to the other, not to mention that double the rendering means far worse framerate. The only proper 3D solution involves a headset like the Oculus Rift which performs all the necessary FOV transformation, but utilizing it requires pretty beefy hardware since you do need the extra framerate like in other solutions and the resolution isn't all that great anyways, even after so many revisions. We're just not quite "there" with 3D yet, but if I were to bet on something, I'd bet on the Oculus and similar devices, and even then I think it's totally a gimmick and it won't retire the traditional "sit on your couch/in your chair and just play" gaming.

WiiCube_2013 and TecXero like this.