360 Slim Storage Question

ISO-Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: I bought WD Blue 500gb SSD and HDDHackr would not flash it. Not sure if anyone cares or not, but thought I would post my results :(

Stock 360 Slim

It's been ages since I messed with a 360 console. All of mine were Phats until I recently traded for a 360 Slim. After having the console restored to manufactures defaults, I want to give this console an upgrade and retire my personal Phat (Halo green edition). When I gave my Phat a HDD upgrade, I used hddhackr and 500gb WD Blue. No complaints. My slim I want to go SSD and I read the slim is easier than the phats.

Questions:

1) Can I use SSD internally on a Slim?
2) What is the max HD size for Slim?
3) Is there anything 'special' to install the drive in the Slim (hddhackr, partition image)?
4) Is there anything I can add to my console to make it better but not be banned (not interested in hacking console, be nice to have app to display covers offline)?

It's been ages since I been in the 360 scene, mostly repairs not hacking. I might now consider hacking my phat since I am retiring it. I'm all ears to any input to how to make my slim the best it can be without xbox live frowning :)

Thanks,
ISO-Man

Last edited by ISO-Man,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. waste of money to use an ssd with the 360, since it won't be able to take advantage of the speeds, but it should work regardless.
2. 2TB is the max size for an rgh/jtag, not sure what stock max size is. it's at least 500GBs afaik.
3. you'll need to inject partition 2 to have xbox stuff. I don't know if slims allow just any drive or if they're encrypted by security sectors like the phats, but you'll most likely have to format it with the serial number, which you can find in system settings.
4. maybe xkey. I've never had one though, but it may display artwork for your games, not sure. it would be a hack though. on stock, there's not a whole lot you can do.

ISO-Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. waste of money to use an ssd with the 360, since it won't be able to take advantage of the speeds, but it should work regardless.
2. 2TB is the max size for an rgh/jtag, not sure what stock max size is. it's at least 500GBs afaik.
3. you'll need to inject partition 2 to have xbox stuff. I don't know if slims allow just any drive or if they're encrypted by security sectors like the phats, but you'll most likely have to format it with the serial number, which you can find in system settings.
4. maybe xkey. I've never had one though, but it may display artwork for your games, not sure. it would be a hack though. on stock, there's not a whole lot you can do.
SSD is more for data/mechanical life than speed or is that a false presumption? I do want to keep console itself stock. I didn't know if there were any homebrew to allow offline covers. I have 200+ bought digital license games and it can lag down the game list on the 360, plus the library is a reason to keep this unit stock.

Reactions: BigOnYa

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, I wouldn't worry about the internal storage failing. I've been using the same hdd for about 13 years with a falcon jtag, and it's never showed any signs of failing.

Reactions: ISO-Man

ISO-Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to keep the console stock, you'll have to get a WD Scorpio drive of specific sizes.
Or search ebay/aliexpress for 500 GB, 320 GB third party ones.
Thanx, I have several of those still laying around :) I saw WD Blue SSD is not much more than a standard WD Blue HD (500GB). I guess nothing has changed on the 360 scene since I was last active on the 360 (other than hacks).

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if wd blue works, but I assumed it did based on what you said. I know wd scorpio does. that's what I used when on stock, and afaik, it hasn't changed, same make and model up to at least 320GBs. I'm not sure about larger. when I did it, it was about 13 years ago maybe or something like that, so it was before the jtag. it was probably only 120GBs, since it was so long ago, and those larger drives weren't compatible.

ISO-Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if wd blue works, but I assumed it did based on what you said. I know wd scorpio does. that's what I used when on stock, and afaik, it hasn't changed, same make and model up to at least 320GBs. I'm not sure about larger. when I did it, it was about 13 years ago maybe or something like that, so it was before the jtag. it was probably only 120GBs, since it was so long ago, and those larger drives weren't compatible.
Far as I know, blue is scorpio, I know black is or has scorpio's too :)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah, I see. it's been too long for me, I guess. I have a wd blue or black for my vwii drive. I put it in the same enclosure I've been using for years after the original drive failed somehow. no issues, used it yesterday in fact. :D

Reactions: ISO-Man

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself