360 Region Encoding

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by cutter, Sep 24, 2007.

Sep 24, 2007

360 Region Encoding by cutter at 9:13 PM (878 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. cutter
    OP

Newcomer cutter Advanced Member

United States
    I'm thinking of getting an American 360 sometime soon. The problem is, I'm moving to Australia in about a year... And I'm guessing that it's region encoded.

Is it? How can I get around the region encoding? Since I'll be in Australia, it should be pretty easy to mod the 360. What chip should I go for? Which one can I use to play backups? Can M$ detect that I'm using a modchip? How much do modchips cost on average?

I'm sorry for having to ask so many questions, but the search button isn't working for me right now and I don't see the information readily available. Thanks in advance.

2. aslacker55

Member aslacker55 I like pie

United States
    1. Yes, the 360 is regional. The games actually decide if it's region locked or region free.

2. There is no way to get around the region encoding at the moment.

3. It is easy to mod the 360. You can use modchips or softmodding.

4. I recommend softmodding over modchips.

5. The newest Ixtreme firmware(softmod) is xbox live safe at the moment. There are no guarantees that you will not be banned.

links:
    Softmod tutorial: http://www.360mods.net/Downloads/get=61/mirror=123.html
    http://www.360mods.net/index.php
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showforum=151

3. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    The region coding on a 360 is odd, games can be single, multi or all region.
    It is up to the dev/publisher to decide, and just because one game by dev/publisher x is region free doesn't mean that all their titles will be.

But importing games from America will be cheaper than buying them in Australia anyway.

4. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
  5. Don Andy

Member Don Andy GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Really? I've heard about some weak Kernel downgrade or something, which allows you to circumvent region-lock, at least from what I heard. Since I don't really intend to fiddle with the Firmware of my 360, I didn't look further into it.
    So it's really just something I snatched up somewhere.

6. aslacker55

Member aslacker55 I like pie

United States
    The Kernel downgrade is in it's infantcy. All it does is it downgrades it to an exploitable kernel, which will allow you to already run Linux and also Homebrew application when they come out. It will also allow you to change the region of your 360, not make it region free.

It is too hard to do it by non advance modders and it will require making your own equipment to downgrade the kernel.