OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey, just wanted to let the Mac owners out there know that they can get in on the MediaCenter action.
I'm currently using Connect360 on my iMac in the study to stream content to my Xbox 360 in the living room. Connect360 is a Preference Pane proggy that fools the 360 into thinking your evil Mac is actually a Windows based multimedia PC. It catalogs your iTunes, iPhoto and Movies Folder content and connects to the 360 automatically when you have both turned on.

So I have my entire iTunes library, iPhoto library and all my Divx movies at hand in the living room where I can better enjoy them on my big screen tv and stereo system.

I was mainly using it to stream iTunes music until the "Fall 360 update" brought Divx compatibility into the mix. I SING THE PRAISES OF DIVX! I have a Divx ready DVD player, but I'd much rather stream from my Mac than bother with burning to DVD-R.

This is just so awesome, I had to shout about it. If you're a Mac and 360 user, go take a look at Connect360. I know I sound like a commercial here, but it's the best 20 bucks I've spent in quite a while.
wub.gif

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, just wanted to let the Mac owners out there know that they can get in on the MediaCenter action.
I'm currently using Connect360 on my iMac in the study to stream content to my Xbox 360 in the living room. Connect360 is a Preference Pane proggy that fools the 360 into thinking your evil Mac is actually a Windows based multimedia PC. It catalogs your iTunes, iPhoto and Movies Folder content and connects to the 360 automatically when you have both turned on.

So I have my entire iTunes library, iPhoto library and all my Divx movies at hand in the living room where I can better enjoy them on my big screen tv and stereo system.

I was mainly using it to stream iTunes music until the "Fall 360 update" brought Divx compatibility into the mix. I SING THE PRAISES OF DIVX! I have a Divx ready DVD player, but I'd much rather stream from my Mac than bother with burning to DVD-R.

This is just so awesome, I had to shout about it. If you're a Mac and 360 user, go take a look at Connect360. I know I sound like a commercial here, but it's the best 20 bucks I've spent in quite a while.
wub.gif

I've never heard of the program...perhaps I will check it out. Nice to hear from a fellow evil Mac user
tongue.gif

- Fitzy

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
frown.gif
. The xbox was worth it for its media capabilities alone. It's a real shame it hasn't got the power for HD stuff , as compared to XBMC the 360's media stuff still sucks

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know if the ipod shows up as an external hdd, so that I can view videos from it?
edit-You have to press X when you're in music or pictures, to change the source. AFAIK the ipod won't ever show up as an external device on the 360. I'd rather hook up my hdd to it, but unfortunately it's using NTFS.

Also, can the 360 stream divx videos? download it to it's hdd? do I have to use windows media player for this?

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You need to use windows media player or other software like Zune in order to stream from your PC to the 360.

I don't think you can transfer videos to the Xbox360's hard drive.

Not sure about the ipod question.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If I burnt some movies onto a CD-R, can the 360 read that? And play them?

Also, by DivX, does that mean it won't play Xvid? Or will it play ALL avi's?

Yes you can burn to a CD-R and play on the 360.

It supports Divx/Xvid and therefore most AVIs, but probably not some of the more obscure codecs.

mthrnite

So it goes.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Connect360 will find and share WMV+WMA, AVI (XVID/DIVX) and H.264 or MPEG4 formatted files, according to it's faq.. I'm pretty sure it's limited by what the 360 will play, but man, all my divx/xvid files are working like a dream.

basically, whatever the xbox can play, it can stream.

As far as the ipod goes, Connect360 can change the source folder for video, so if your iPod is set up as a hard drive and connected to your mac, and you pointed the C360's preferences to it, it would find it and stream from it. It won't do protected stuff though, which is a shame, but somewhat understandable. Also, I don't think you can change the folders it hunts through for music, it has to be what iTunes considers your music folder.

I used to have a Mac Mini hooked up to my living room tv, but moved it to my bedroom so I'd have something to watch in there. Since the 360 is and always will be in the living room, I was really happy to finally get this kind of use out of it without having to dedicate a MCPC to it.
grog.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night