Gaming 360 HDD Hack

yardsman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been thinking about upgrading the HDD on my newly banned 360 using HddHackr. It seems to be compatible with both WD Scorpio Blue and Black drives. Since the Scorpio Black drives have a higher RPM, will I see a performance gain if I use one of those over a Scorpio Blue, or does the 360 make them all run at the same speeds? Anybody have an idea?

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I recently looked this up. Some people say that it does affect both install and load times, but others say it doesn't make a difference because it has to do with the DVD and not the drive itself... something like that. I'm sure FAST knows the right answer >__>;

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
RPM on hard drives is a bit like clockspeed on processors: it is a significant part of the answer but not all of it by any means.

I understand banned consoles can not play hard drive installed games* any more so assuming that is off the table we are now talking data installed as part of the game working.
At this point you might see a slightly decreased initial load/install/copy time but once you get into the game there is nothing much to be gained (it is probably measurable easily enough but going in for quality of play nothing will change).

*if we were talking that then maybe it would make a notable difference.

Personally: lower RPM tends to equal less heat which is always good (especially as the 360 drive case lacks cooling) but they are generally designed to take it. To this end go with whatever is cheapest unless something crops up that would sway you from a given drive model.

yardsman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My bad, I meant to say that my console was FLAGGED for banning, not actually banned yet. So I'm still good to go on installing games to the HDD, the primary reason I'm looking to upgrade. I'd thought that the higher RPM would allow for faster level loading, texture loading, etc., but I didn't think about the heat concerns. Thanks FAST, I'll go with the cheaper Scorpio Blue, less than $60 on newegg
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night