Gaming 360 being picky bitch

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Lali ho.

My 360 is being a picky bitch. I have a habit of plugging my MP3/4 player in via USB and swapping tunes out for something more to my rather odd tastes, except when I have my mic on for Black Ops, etc. I'm not totally without online decorum. But now my 360 is refusing to acknowledge the player. I'm using the same cable and port as I always have, and everything should work fine. My MP4 player isn't damaged because it's working right now, got music on as I type so it'll connect to my netbook. The port can't be the problem because the 360 will send power to the player to recharge it, but won't recognise it as a USB device. And it's not the cable because that's being used to send music to my netbook right now so quite clearly still works.

I'm out of ideas as to what my be causing the problem. It stopped acknowledging my player when I spent some time putting new songs on there a few nights ago. Strangely, some of the new files don't seem to have registered on my MP4 player. They're clearly there because my netbook can play them without issue, but due to a strange sorting system all new files go to the bottom of my menu. There's at least one that should be there but isn't. It can't be a problem with the format because the player recognises other WMA files fine.

The only thing I can think of is that since I added a LOT of new songs, maybe it's having trouble recognising so many in the same folder. Maybe if I create a second folder and move some songs into there?

Aside from that, any ideas as to what might be wrong? Why would my 360 have trouble sensing it if my netbook has no problems? If my netbook can recognise this many files then surely the 360 can? Suggestions are welcomed. In case it makes any difference, it's an original model 360, been refitted once but never gives me much trouble, and the MP4 player is a 'Sweex' Vidi. Dunno if that makes any difference but I just thought I'd mention it. Shouldn't be of any consequence though because it was working fine before...
unsure.gif

Hope to get it fixed soon. Need some tunes to get me in the right mindset for my Mass Effect 2 replay. Get my file set up for ME3 so everyone survived this time...
glare.gif

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried plugging it in after your 360 has turned on? My iPod will not be detected by my 360 if it's plugged in before I turn it on.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
fudgenuts64 said:
Have you tried plugging it in after your 360 has turned on? My iPod will not be detected by my 360 if it's plugged in before I turn it on.

I've tried every possible permutation of having each item off, on, plugged in, not plugged in, different cables and the like. Nothing works. It's only the 360 which is whoring it up, the rest of my consoles recognise it fine. Ergo the problem is caused by the 360 itself. The thing is, it is kinda recognising it because it'll charge ok, it just won't let me play any music or even select the player from the menu, it stays greyed out.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You could try backing up everything on your MP4 player, formating it, and putting everything back on.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
fudgenuts64 said:
You could try backing up everything on your MP4 player, formating it, and putting everything back on.

The player isn't at fault though. It works fine. Granted, some of the songs aren't registering in the menu but I've pretty much confirmed that was because I had too many in the same folder. The main folder contains all the sub folders I've set up for various bands, etc, and about 320 loose songs that didn't warrant a folder of their own. Now that I've deleted a few and moved others around so my loose collection is only about 200, it seems to be working better. But the 360's still being a whore.

Secondly, formatting my player would take hours. It's an 8GB player almost full to capacity, and the only place I can back it up to is my netbook, which ain't exactly a top of the line model. 1GB RAM, 160GB hard drive, etc. Basic stuff. So backing everything up and transferring it all back would be an overnight job.

And no, no updates. Just added new songs, that's all. The ones in their own folders work fine, just a few loose ones were giving me trouble which now appears to be sorted. That's literally it. No good reason for my 360 to suddenly go all drama queen on me.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The link was working fine until a couple of days ago. I've not updated my 360 since I bought Black Ops nearly a month ago.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I guess Ancientboi would be Peter