32-Inch Sony Trinitron CRT TV 720p/1080i For Gaming

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by luke_c, Jul 22, 2011.

Jul 22, 2011
  1. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Just saw a 32-inch Sony Trinitron CRT TV for sale for £20 in my local paper and it has 720p/1080i support as well as HDMI support. Would this be fine for gaming? I heard that when using digital (HDMI) the 1080i essentially turns into progressive mode anyway, I really have no idea on this which is why I am asking here and could be complete wrong on everything here. Would it be fine for PC gaming? (As a temporary placement anyway, for a few months).

2. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Well, with 20 quid you cant go wrong lol.
    GRAB IT.
    Where can I get it? lol

3. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    You wish! [​IMG]
    I think I'll buy it anyway even if I don't use it for gaming and just put it in our spare room.

4. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    that should do you just fine (especially at that price [​IMG] ) until you can afford a flat panel. the trinitron sets have a really nice picture and most were completely flat (vertically) with very little bow from edge to edge (left to right). just be aware that you'll need a buddy (or two) to move the beast. my neighbour had 3 of them at one time and not only do they weigh about 150 lbs., they are also very bulky (front heavy) and hard on the hands to move.

work gloves are a must!

I still have a 20" trinitron that I've kept because it was the only set that small that had an s-video input.

5. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    You should get that cause it's a really good price.
    Wish i found a TV like that.

6. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Bought the TV, works great but the back of it is massive! Can't fit on my desk so put it in the spare room.

7. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    That would be an exceptional way to play virtual consoles and old arcade games on emulators, just like on the real thing.
    HDMI and s-video inputs ? If it only would have VGA ( for the Dreamcast ) it would be the perfect choice for classic gaming.
    I'm glad you got it, if I could get my hands on one of those as well, I' ll sure grab it and put it in a room for vintage gaming purpose.
    Heck, even the Wii looks better on one of those, compared to modern LCD TVs......[​IMG]