Hacking 3.x to 4.x worth it?

nethru

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently using a soft modded 3.4 wii using usbloader and all games work fine so far no issues from the usb drive. Should I even bother updating to 4.x? What are the pros/cons of doing so?

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i guess the old adage applies here....if it ain't broke, don't fix it....

3.x to 4.x isn't critical....game IOS and cIOS are a bit more important....the only thing you really gain from the SM update is Ninty's version of SDHC storage which isn't all that great anyhow....

the IOS/cIOS can be updated via Modmii.....

wangbu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4.1 version is the best because if you like wii ware and home brew you can store them on SDHC with out losing your system memory
rolleyes.gif

u4Wii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm in the same boat although I'm on 3.2 softmodded, haven't used my Wii much since summer 2008. Nor have I been browsing these forums so I've lost touch with a lot of developments, hence my semi-newbie queries...

If I wanted to upgrade to 4.x I'm assuming I do not need to go out and buy/rent Indiana Jones or Smash Bros since I'm already softmodded so that gives me an advantage right? Or do these 4.x firmware nuke everything so that I would have to start with a real copy of said games?

The only reason I am even contemplating this upgrade is to play the recent rehash of Goldeneye. If grabbing cIOSes and IOSes via ModMii is sufficient then I will skip the firmware upgrade.

DarkShadow96

LA96£
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Don't really need to. Been on 3.4 for two years now and I can do everything a 4.3 can. Except for the SM SD card loader. Don't really care about that since I can just use Triiforce.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
DarkShadow96 said:
Don't really need to. Been on 3.4 for two years now and I can do everything a 4.3 can. Except for the SM SD card loader. Don't really care about that since I can just use Triiforce.
You can't run everything using triiforce, but if you can run everything from it it's OK and I'm sure the system menu is as fast as every version.
@u4Wii:
If you want to update use modmii to update to 4.1 or 4.2, everything will be still there, only for 4.3 you would need a game to hack it.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you lose with 4.3 from previous versions?

I can guarantee you, any valid answer and I can find a work around.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only reason to use 3.4 is simply the fact that you are already there. there is nothing desirable of 3.3 to 3.5 over any other system menu version. and the only things you gain with 4.x is the stupid SD card menu and different/more priiloader hacks. if you arent going to use either of those, then dont waste your time.

nethru

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to stay on 3.4 but wanted to update my CIOS and Homebrew.

I installed IOS58 from wiibrew so I could update homebrew channel to 1.0.8 or whatever the latest was. Then i ran CIOSX Rev21 I did 249 base 56 and am able to load USBLoaderGX (new one, old one wouldn't find the usb drive) but when I try to add WAD's with 1.7 or 1.5 i get a Ret Error=1 when selecting the WAD. I wanted to try out that NAND on the SD card dealio and the FS Dump worked fine putting the NAND on it.

I rolled back to CIOS Rev 14(what i was on previously) everything worked fine again including adding WAD's to system NAND but I still can't install WAD's on my NAND on SD card still for some reason.

u4Wii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
FIX94 said:
If you want to update use modmii to update to 4.1 or 4.2, everything will be still there, only for 4.3 you would need a game to hack it.

Thanks for the tip Fix94, I hadn't heard of Modmii until now and it has made my upgrade from a 2 year old 3.2 install to 4.1 and other updated IOSes etc a complete breeze!
smile.gif

ciris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I too agree with other posters, if you want nintys SDHC feature for channels and such go to 4.1 Im upgraded from 4.1 to 4.2 way back and kinda wished I stayed at 4.1 for the reason of better compatibility of copying game saves. For me the biggest pain on 4.2 is that some game saves just dont copy anymore no matter what tools I tried. The last time I tried this was when Monster Hunter was released and I havent persued it since. I could revert to 4.1 but I dont want to spend time doing that. Maybe the newest rev of gamesave manager works better but I havent tried it.

IMHO 3.4 or 4.1 was king.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night