3-in-1 with Acekard, having some NOR/NAND issues

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by DMPugh, Dec 25, 2008.

Dec 25, 2008
  1. DMPugh
    OP

Newcomer DMPugh Advanced Member

Canada
    Just got a 3-in-1 last night, and it was running fine today just selecting games in my GBA folder by pressing A. Seemed to load fairly quickly. But suddenly they are not running. When I select a game and press A, everything freezes. Well, I shouldn't say everything; the top screen keeps functioning as it normally does, but nothing works on the bottom screen. I can't select a different screen, go back to a previous menu, etc. Just doesn't work. As far as I know, I didn't change any settings when this started happening.

I can, however, get the games to run if I run them through NOR. This takes significantly longer to get them working though.

I'm just kind of puzzled why I suddenly can't load games into what I am assuming was the NAND memory. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, what SHOULD I be running these games into? NOR or NAND? I'm kind of fuzzy one what the differences between the two are, so any explanation would be nice.

And is there anything I should know about running these games? Do the sav files update automatically, or upon restart? I think I'm essentially looking for a faq here...but if anyone just has some answers for me, I would REALLY appreciate it.

By the way, running the 3-in-1 with an Acekard 2.1 black pcb with latest official firmware (not AKAIO) and clean roms. No initial settings for the 3-in-1 have been changed.

2. DMPugh
    OP

Canada
    Okay so after doing more research I realize I was using the wrong terms. I meant NOR and PSRAM, and I believe the PSRAM is corrupt. Is that possible? Is there a way for me to fix it?

3. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    the psram is a 16meg ram section
    the nor is a 32 meg ram section.

psram will not keep data when the unit is powered off.
    the nor will store a game (any size up to 32 megs) even after the power is turned off.

it takes longer to flash to nor because of the nature of the hardware.

you should give rudolph's gba exploader .56+ a try. use it to flash over your roms and see if that fixes anything. also there is a way to format the nor. i recall a tool that changes the first few bytes to make the kit display that no rom is loaded, thus clearing out the mem. search for "Hyperlisks Nor eraser" for more information.

gba exploader: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4066

finally - yes - the psram or nor can be DOA, get corrupted and other issues. try to debug before you contact your retailer for a replacement. there may be nothing wrong with the 3-in-1.

-another world

4. DMPugh
    OP

Canada
    I was able to run a couple games on my other flash card using the most recent version of AKAIO, and they seemed to run fine in both NOR and PSRAM, so I'm guessing the card isn't messed up.

I'm still getting save errors though. The games I tested were Metroid: Zero Mission and Super Mario Advance 4 (Super Mario Bros. 3). Both give me a corrupt message when they go to load up the save games. Anyone have any ideas? I still have Metroid Zero Mission stuck in NOR memory from using the official Acekard firmware.

5. Smiths

Member Smiths AKAIO Person of Interest

United States
    i had a 3in1 have a battery die. would lock up on the save sram part.

try rudolphs tool exclusively to see if that helps.

6. logical thinker

Member logical thinker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    For SMA4: http://bubbz.pocketheaven.com/?system=gba&section=patch

7. Taza

Member Taza GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Same problem with same hardware.

Guess it's a firmware bug.

8. DMPugh
    OP

Canada
    Is that so? Did you order it from Deal Extreme? And did you get it recently?

I'm really hoping it's just a firmware issue. I'll be switching over to AKAIO tomorrow when I get home from the holidays.