3-in-1/R4 - can memory be on all the time?

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by tamper1, Oct 17, 2007.

Oct 17, 2007
  1. tamper1
    OP

Newcomer tamper1 Member

United States
    Hi,

I'm using a 3-in-1 with my R4, managed using Rudoph's 3-in-1 tool.

It seems though that the memory expansion (and rumble for that matter) is permanently set to be 'off', and every time I want to fire up the Opera browser, I have to first go into the 3-in-1 tool and turn the memory expansion on. This setting lasts until reboot.

Is there a way of permanently setting the memory expansion to be active?

Cheers,
    tamper

2. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    well, there is probably a patch of some sort to do that

3. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
  4. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    The 3in1 is primarily a GBA flashcart (so when you turn on the DS, and press the GBA game logo - a GBA game that is flashed to it will start and save properly). The rumble and memory are essentially secondary modes. If you really want that stuff to be automagic, use an EZV slot 1 card with it, or plausibly set rudolph's app to autoboot (there is a file on R4 if you place something with a specific name it will autoboot instead of stopping in R4's menu, no idea what it's supposed to be called though) - { since Destructobot mentions it, as well there is the option to patch everything you want to use to avoid using rudolph's menu for anything but GBA stuff, there is even a rumble patcher that works on quite a few games (but not all) }.

So, essentially - they aren't permanently set to off, they are just the other 2 modes of the cart from it's initial purpose and each mode (GBA game, rumble, RAM) have to be separate else none would work correctly... imagine playing a GBA game on the card, if rumble was on at the same time the motor would spin every time the GBA accessed the card (which is pretty much constantly, as a GBA game is basically external read only memory on a high speed bus).

5. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    The best way is to patch opera. Automatically booting the 3in1 tool would not save that much time...

6. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Is that so? So if you turn rumble on, return to the R4 menu and restart in GBA mode without turning the DS off it'll do as you say: constantly spin the motor? [​IMG]

7. tamper1
    OP

Newcomer tamper1 Member

United States
    Thanks all - I've downloaded the patch mentioned and that seems to work fine.

8. hollabackitsobi

Member hollabackitsobi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Why is this a problem for people? For some reason I never have to turn it on every time, I just go into Opera and it runs.

9. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Did you download a prepatched version?