Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
3-5 Hours of Battery Life
3DS Top Screen is at Fault
06_news_image_3DS.png

The 3DS will provide 3-5 hours of battery life. The shorter battery life is due in part to the top screen. The top screen is said to consume double the energy of the lower screen. The 3D aspects require different lighting per-eye which means a high brightness setting to maintain the correct light needed for 3D effects. The end result is more battery consumption. System designer Ryuji Umezu says that lowering the backlight setting can gain the end-user some battery life, while Nintendo recommends users charge their system each day.

icon11.gif
 Source

BastarB

Trophies
XP
Country
Ohh NOOOO!!
blink.gif

Now things begin to getting interesting, I wonder if the NGP will have better battery time than the 3DS?
mellow.gif

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow at the max settings 3hours , and at the lowest brightness setting 5hours. compared to the DSlite's 10hours...

This is stupid :S i mean im all for new features in a handheld but i have to charge my current DS lite up enough times already and now im going to have to charge this twice as much? Nintendo recommends users charge their system each day lol what a joke.

Cant wait to hear what the NGP has as this could really change my mind on what handheld to get

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
SPH73 said:
Terenigma said:
Cant wait to hear what the NGP has as this could really change my mind on what handheld to get

Its funny you say that...

http://www.1up.com/news/ngp-battery-life-about-the-same

"NGP Battery Life "About The Same" As Original PSP"

And of course he means the PSP 1000 using its full UMD capabilities. (Roughly 3.3 hours as shown by the IGN article.)

The lowest 3DS battery life has been quoted at 3.5 hours. The lowest PSP 1000 battery life has been quoted at 3.3 hours.

So basically your saying that both the 3DS and NGP are going to have at full capacity an battery life of about 3hours? well i dunno about anyone else but this is seriously bs. Maybe im wrong but i thought the whole idea of a handheld is something you play on the go. not something you have to be near a plug socket to play.

3hours is pathetic for any handheld. 5hours is tolerable but NOT at the lowest brightness setting coz thats too dark even for people with great vision and i for one will be cursing the fact that if i forget to charge it one night i wont be able to play it during lunch at work or on train

OniLink2323

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's unfortunate that with the advancement of technology, comes the cost of battery life. Remember, the Nintendo 3DS has a 1300 mAh battery compared to the other DS models.
DS Phat: 850 mAh 6 - 10 Hours of play
DSlite: 1000 mAh 15 - 19 hours of play
DSi: 840 mAh 9 - 14 hours of play
DSi XL: 1050 mAh 13 - 17 hours of play

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OniLink2323 said:
DSi XL: 1050 mAh 13 - 17 hours of play
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS

I own a DSi XL and as soon as I read this I thought this sounded like ridiculous bullsh*t. You're lucky if you get 5 hours max out of that system. Mine gets a lot of use between myself and my wife. (She likes it mainly for the bigger screen.) I've put this thing through its paces so I really know its battery life.

Going a little further I checked the Wiki article used as a source for that quote. Its an article about disassembly and it makes no mention of DSi XL battery life.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo-DS...Teardown/2181/1

At least not from what I've seen. Meanwhile endgadget says...

"expect to play quite a while; with a 3.7v, 1050mAh lithium-ion battery (compared to the 840mAh in the DSi) we got a solid 5.5 hours of battery on max brightness -- ahead of Nintendo's estimate of 5 hours."

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/26/nintendo-dsi-xl-review/

This has been very consistent with my personal experience and Nintendo own quote.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
its like a laptop or better... the problem is the comparison with the DSlite. If we want to move ahead in terms of features, we have to sacrifice some thing (well nintendo has to at least). its still not too bad if the charge time is not too high. Besides, if its true tht with 3d effect off the battery life will increase even more, then the concept of moving around with the 3ds is looking very good but at this point, i dont think it seems like ppl will be doing so

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
Terenigma said:
SPH73 said:
Terenigma said:

Its funny you say that...

http://www.1up.com/news/ngp-battery-life-about-the-same

"NGP Battery Life "About The Same" As Original PSP"

And of course he means the PSP 1000 using its full UMD capabilities. (Roughly 3.3 hours as shown by the IGN article.)

The lowest 3DS battery life has been quoted at 3.5 hours. The lowest PSP 1000 battery life has been quoted at 3.3 hours.

So basically your saying that both the 3DS and NGP are going to have at full capacity an battery life of about 3hours? well i dunno about anyone else but this is seriously bs. Maybe im wrong but i thought the whole idea of a handheld is something you play on the go. not something you have to be near a plug socket to play.

3hours is pathetic for any handheld. 5hours is tolerable but NOT at the lowest brightness setting coz thats too dark even for people with great vision and i for one will be cursing the fact that if i forget to charge it one night i wont be able to play it during lunch at work or on train
They're most likely referring to the latest PSP (Not the PSP2, the 3000 or something idk what is the latest) as the original one since if you read it properly:

His reply: "It'll be about the same as the original PSP." Which means, depending on the game you're playing and features you're using, it could range anywhere from a few hours to closer to 10.

The NGP is expected to have similar battery life to the current PSP 3 - 10~ hours varying usage.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PettingZoo said:
They're most likely referring to the latest PSP (Not the PSP2, the 3000 or something idk what is the latest) as the original one since if you read it properly:

QUOTE said:
His reply: "It'll be about the same as the original PSP." Which means, depending on the game you're playing and features you're using, it could range anywhere from a few hours to closer to 10.

The NGP is expected to have similar battery life to...

The NGP is expected to have similar battery life to the ORIGINAL PSP. Just as quoted exactly from the source article. They didn't say the PSP 3000. That was your interpretation. They specifically stated the original PSP. I'm sure a Sony employee knows exactly which PSP he is talking about.

And everyone knows the original PSP never had anywhere near 10 hours battery life. Lets just go back to IGN's hard charging test and see for ourselves.

The only thing close to 10 hours was the 10 hours quoted for MP3 playback.

I can't be the only one paying attention in this topic. I'm sure I can't be the only one who owns every portable mentioned in this topic

(except 3DS and NGP, of course.
yaypsp.gif
yaynds.gif
)

In my experience PSP 2000/3000 battery life was between 4 to 6 hours on average. With a stamina battery and ISOs loaded on to a memory stick it was substantially higher.

edit: sony agrees

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/09/03/...to-current-psp/

"4 to 6 hours"

Ringo619

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not the best battery life but the 3ds has two screens one touch and one displaying 3d so its pretty good if you think about it

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Guess this is the thinking behind the charging dock, come in the house, chuck it in the dock until the morning, guess if you have to charge it a lot its best not to have to fiddle about with wires.

I'd advise everyone to get a cheap USB charge cable for their 3DS or NGP, easy enough to carry in your pocket or case and means you can charge it at work, a friends house, basically anywhere you find a USB port. particularly useful in the UK where normal plags are the size of a small county.

It's a shame that battery technology doesn't seem to have advanced in tandem with cheap and powerful pocket gadgets. I've taken to having on battery for my HTC Hero in my phone, one in my jeans watch pocket and one charging at home because one battery wont last a day if I'm out all day geocaching or at a football match and checking the scores and my fantasy team all day.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heartgold said:
3DS battery life:

3-5 hours - with 3D on
8 hours - no 3D and max brightness
8+ hours - no 3D, low brightness, wireless off

I didn't read anything saying this in the source. It says, at most, 5 hours with backlight to the lowest settings. Give me a new source or I'll call bull honky.

For everyone complaining about the NGP going to have "Shit battery life" and the 3DS having "better battery life", they're about the same. So stop complaining.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 10180p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality