3.41 with dongle, looking at 3.55CFW...

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by codezer0, Feb 8, 2011.

Feb 8, 2011
  1. codezer0
    OP

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    Should be a simple question.

Currently running 3.41 with PS3Break for jailbreaking. And to be honest, getting more interested in making the jump to custom firmware. But I do have some questions, if I may... since I didn't see a particular topic asking about these in detail up top. Yes, it's a CECHA, which is why I'm still cautious. Not like I could just get another one.
    [*]Is it possible to update from a standard 3.41 to say... kmeaw's 3.55? That is... I put kmeaw's 3.55 (pre-patched or made) on a flash drive, plug it in, and have it run the system update from that. Will that work?[*]While I currently have the consoles on a UPS, the question must arise... in the event of a failed flash, what do you do? Recovery mode? Downgrade (at least my dongle is compatible for downgrade mode firmware on it) ? Send to $ony? [​IMG] [*]Anything I should look for as a sign or error that something didn't go right?[*]Should I uninstall the homebrew before updating? No doubt it will also be prudent to make another full backup.[*]Any lists out there of what stopped working since 3.50? Or at least, what USB devices have the same dongle ID as what was revoked as a result of 3.50? And do either CFW's address or change the revocation list to allow these devices to work again? Supposedly from what fail0verflow discussed, this should be possible now.Why do I want to update? well...

One of my roomies does play online and stuff, and regularly gets ps3 games. I've already asked, and he's cool with me borrowing and playing those he isn't actively playing. But many of them seem to require at least 3.5 for me to play at all.

Currently, MGS4 is unplayable even when running normally and from the disc. Not sure what all happened, but it also appears that in order to patch the ripped version of it properly, it needs the newest version of GaiaManager, of which IIRC only works on 3.55CFW.

Even though in the eyes of $ony I may be a "filthy pirate" [​IMG] I do like to at least be able to use the storefront to download demos and stuff, and sync my earned trophies. I fully agree that online cheaters need to be put in their place, but I also think they're going about it the wrong way. and find it stupid I can't even use the storefront portion without accepting an update.

2. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    Kmeaw is about as safe as you can get. It's very good, just do it.

BTW--I would update to OFW 3.55 first, though.

3. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Though the question remains... what all does "get bricked" thanks to 3.5? And has that been patched out of these CFW's?

4. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    As far as i know not a single brick has been reported very safe and easy to setup.
    Use multiman for a backup manager
    DNS trick is still working with CFW 3.55

5. porchemasi

Member porchemasi GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I made the jump from 3.41 Minimus to 3.55 Kmeaw today!

I updated to 3.55 OFW then installed a prepatched kmeaw pup!

Worked like a charm and there is no difference between 3.41 and 3.55, ALL I DID WAS UPDATE SOME APPS LIKE Gaia, SNES, and FTP app!

hope u take the plunge, i was tired of pressing eject + reset combo every time!

6. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

So far, no bricks with kmeaw firmware unless you do something really dumb (like pull the plug while updating). Just remember to install OFW 3.55 first and then install kmeaw. The same applies when upgrading the hard drive on a slim (use the 3.55 OFW PUP when it asks you to insert a USB drive with 3.55 or later FW, then reinstall kmeaw). Waninkoko's v1 firmware is known to cause bricks on certain systems (fat models with a 256MB NAND chip) but so far kmeaw seems safe.

Also, another nice thing about kmeaw's CFW is that it does not actually have the necessary stuff (lv2 patches) to let you run backups. Instead, it just makes it possible for other software (such as your backup manager) to patch lv2 in memory. That means whenever a new payload update comes out, you can just update the backup manager (or lv2 patcher, though most BMs have that built in now) rather than having to reflash the firmware.

7. codezer0
    OP

United States
    That's not exactly what I meant...

I meant how when 3.50 came out, suddenly a bunch of stuff stopped working with the ps3. I remember the X-Arcade (in ps3 mode) and at least one version of the Splitfish FragFX controllers not working anymore on the ps3, but I want to know what else "stopped working" since 3.5... was there a list compiled? I basically want to know if anything I currently have is going to be affected, since I've a fairly wide range of USB hardware.

8. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Has nobody actually just tried going from an older, Sony firmware to a 3.55 CFW? That's what I want to know. Or is it simply recommended by the firmware writers to do it that way...?

9. akari212

Member akari212 GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    A1: Yes, its possible to update directly from 3.41. There should be no problem at all.

A2: Probably, the answer will be "send to sony". But the risk is same just like you were updating using OFW.

A3: As for Error code. Hmm dunno.. But you can use google and search for known Error Code just in case.

A4: Not necessary, but you might need to reinstall the homebrews since they needed to be signed.

A5: Revocation list for USB devices huh... As far as i know.. there's no CFW that had modified the revocation list to make the old (unofficial) products by sony work again. In short, if you were using your fake controllers, it still wont work on the current CFW today. But if you do have a controller that is upgradable, just like mine with USB to PS2 Controller Converter, it never worked earlier on 3.55FW but i updated the firmware of my PS2 Controller Converter and it works again.

10. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Okay. Today I finally worked up the nerve... and after verifying the MD5 sum is correct, am now going straight from 3.41, to kmeaw's 3.55; it's @ 66% as I write this, and slowly climbing.

Keeping fingers crossed. Wish me luck, please.

11. Gagarin

Member Gagarin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    So....?

12. codezer0
    OP

United States
    it's working... holy crap! [​IMG]

Apparently a bit late for the DNS trick to still work, but hell... I'm not worried about that. Just glad it did work. What was weird was soon after I typed that post, since I'd selected to have it shut down after the update was applied, the video just flashed weirdly.

But then turning it back on, everything does indeed appear just fine.

Guess first order of business is to install Gaia Manager, so I can patch MGS4 and have it FINALLY work and let me play through Act 4.

13. KlexKavark

Newcomer KlexKavark Member

United States
    im glad i ran into this thread for i too have been considering updating my 3.41 to a cfw. But im afraid of bricking it. And since AFAIK there is no brick protection like my wii has nand backup and priiloader with bootmii as boot2 and IOS. Ive had this playstation for a long time and dont have money to go out and buy another one. Ive been using rockbox PL3 on my old 30gig ipod 5 and im tired of hitting power + eject. But i have a old fat ps3 with a 40gb hdd and spiderman3 blueray combo. Its a CECHG01 and ive heard ppl bricking those models with waninkokos cfw so im reluctant to update. I didnt even know there was another cfw other than geohots and waninkoko's. I want to know if its safe for my model to use the cfw mentioned by OP.

PS i dont care about PSN since i dont plan on playing online ever. For that i have my wii and xbox360.

14. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Well, at least here from a CECHA01 owner, kmeaw's liked mine. Kinda got spooked for a brief moment when it shut down, but that was sort of the "ultimate test" to see if it would brick or not.

It's working for me here thus far. Took a while to re-backup MGS4... and there was the obvious matter of the required data installs that it does.

Running Gaia 2.07, and found it didn't respond to the button that was supposed to enable "patched mode"... but that didn't matter. I was finally able to play through the flashback sequence on Act4 and make a save that gets me past it.

Thank you! [​IMG]

15. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    Should be fine, Waninkoko's is the only one I've heard of causing bricks, unless you do something stupid like pull out the power cord while it's updating.

16. Lakerfanalways

Member Lakerfanalways GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I am on 3.41 right now..I would like to update but super nervous about doing so..I have so many games, most on external so I dont know what would happen to my games, would I have to install them again..they all have changed eboot files so would they not work..that is what has kept me from NOT updating..going after 3.41 files is super hard, especially with all of these games out not so it makes me want to update just afraid to do so..afraid of bricking, afraid of screwing something up..I dont use PSN and I dont go online with my PS3 so I dont care about that just want to be able to still play my games

17. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Okay, um... now that I got 3.55, my roomie's allowed me to ahead and borrow some of his games for me to play. First one I picked was the new Hot Pursuit.

While it plays fine off the disc, it seems to get screwy when I try to copy it to the hard drive with Gaia. Should I use a different backup manager instead? Or is it that NFS really has that many tiny ass files?

18. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Get Multiman 1.15.x. Avoid 1.15.02 though as it's ftp is buggy. I am still using 1.15.1 and it is working fine though I haven't tried NFS yet.

19. codezer0
    OP

United States
    I needed Gaia so I could play through that ultra-crashy flashback part of MGS4.

After trying it out, I see I can have Gaia and other BM's installed concurrently... I can then make them point to and install to the same directory, right?

Also, what should I do about the previously made folders from older BM's?

Tried Multiman and gaia so far. Multiman was able to successfully rip NFS, but neither of those will actually run the game. I'm going to turn in for bed now... might try rogero tomorrow, unless someone can figure it out.

20. KlexKavark

Newcomer KlexKavark Member

United States
    It could be you need to rip it to the internal harddrive. I had the same problem with tekken 6 where i would rip it to the external hdd and most managers would fail except for gaia and mutiman but when i tried to load it it would load fine and then hang at the namco screen. Finally i tried to rip it to the internal hdd and it now runs perfect with both managers.