Hacking 3.4 -> downgrade or not to dowgrade, that is the question!

georgecoat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 3.4 and would like to be able to play backups as well as enjoy some extra features (play movies, mp3, homebrew apps...).
Reading several guides including those with the whole prepacked tools in one package I can choose methods that downgrade to 3.2 and let me install starfall.
Then there is also some new methods that does not require downgrade (wad only methods) and let me play backups and keep my current 3.4.
Is it only starfall features that are making the difference between downgrade and no downgrade? Is there a possibility to replace those starfall features somehow on 3.4 or make starfall to work on 3.4?
Who can help me with the dilemma, downgrade or not to downgrade?
What does the experts say: which method is better, and what it the advantage/disadvantage?

WhiteWingedKnigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Starfall will not work on any other version except 3.2 because 3.2 as i think the trucha sign hack thing, i don't remember the specifics. But yes downgrade to 3.2 and install starfall, it will save you loads of pain incase your wii ever gets semi-bricked and such. Plus it skips disk updates for you!!! and thats a plus in my book!

georgecoat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you WhiteWingedKnight, it makes sense...
But don't you prevent updates by turning off WiiConnect24 and brick protect by using WiiBrickBlocker on your isos?

D

Deleted User

Starfall already blocked updates.

And Wiiconnect24, turned my Wiiconnect24 on since it was bought, only prompts updates, but not installing them
tongue.gif

ohmy.gif
, no more christmas hats! Just them bald smileys >__>

georgecoat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afif95,
I meant in 3.4 without starfall ...

afif95 said:
Starfall already blocked updates.

And Wiiconnect24, turned my Wiiconnect24 on since it was bought, only prompts updates, but not installing them
tongue.gif

ohmy.gif
, no more christmas hats! Just them bald smileys >__>

EnigmaXtreme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In my opinion, downgrading is merely just a short run solution. Yes the features of wii upgrades have been meh lately, but down the track their will be times when upgrading the firmware will be nescearry, like ...heck i dont know

SDHC support
Upgrades to support official DVD playback
Wii Disk Drive or WiiDD support lol

Those are merely stuff I threw up into the air btw so dont point out if their flawed

Personally I would rather avoid the risk of bricking my wii trying to downgrade and just wait till the the great wii hackers make the apps compatiable with the latest firmware

Im just saying

georgecoat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you do not need to downgrade, read here for example: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=114...p;#entry1529161 or here: http://www.wiiguide.co.cc
But there are some advantages and risks on both sides and question was is it worth to downgrade or not. You would prefer not to.

EnigmaXtreme said:
In my opinion, downgrading is merely just a short run solution. Yes the features of wii upgrades have been meh lately, but down the track their will be times when upgrading the firmware will be nescearry, like ...heck i dont know

SDHC support
Upgrades to support official DVD playback
Wii Disk Drive or WiiDD support lol

Those are merely stuff I threw up into the air btw so dont point out if their flawed

Personally I would rather avoid the risk of bricking my wii trying to downgrade and just wait till the the great wii hackers make the apps compatiable with the latest firmware

Im just saying

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
if you don't have a ModChip and you are planing to install .wad files (even one of them) thru Wad Manager, YOU HAVE TO just for the Rescue Menu option...!!
biggrin.gif

D

Deleted User

Downgrade, 3.2 is the gold mine for us with softmod.

No matter whatever you say, 3.2 will remain as the best firmware for softmod, well, till Ninty Screw up BADLY with their further updates.

Honestly, downgrade is easy, just follow EoC's guide, all in one, and never a hassle.

Also, I've had problems with launching certain backups when I was in 3.4.

georgecoat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you experienced any troubles to run original games after downgrading to 3.2?

afif95 said:

No matter whatever you say, 3.2 will remain as the best firmware for softmod, well, till Ninty Screw up BADLY with their further updates.

Honestly, downgrade is easy, just follow EoC's guide, all in one, and never a hassle.

georgecoat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far most of the pro-downgrade answers is due to the starfall's brick protection/rescue features. Is there any way to substitute this startfall feature in 3.3 or 3.4?

Summarized opinions so far:

Downgrade advantages:
brick protection/rescue
updates blocking
launching some backups that does not launch in 3.4
avoiding possibility to block hacking Wii

Not to downgrade advantages:
upgrading might become necessary
possibility to use some new cool features
avoiding possibility to brick while downgrading
avoiding possible problems to run some new original games

Any other opinions?

D

Deleted User

georgecoat said:
Have you experienced any troubles to run original games after downgrading to 3.2?

afif95 said:

Originals??

Meh, it's hard to find one here. Plus, it's too damn pricey. Anyway, it should work, except for some without proper IOS (Right now, it's IOS 38 for AC:CF).

And well, Starfall will block updates, so there should be no update issues running originals from disc channel.

Also, when I was in 3.4, I've had problems with getting Disaster and MySims to run.

D

Deleted User

georgecoat said:
So far most of the pro-downgrade answers is due to the starfall's brick protection/rescue features. Is there any way to substitute this startfall feature in 3.3 or 3.4?

Summarized opinions so far:

Downgrade advantages:
brick protection/rescue
updates blocking
launching some backups that does not launch in 3.4
avoiding possibility to block hacking Wii

Not to downgrade advantages:
upgrading might become necessary
If anything, homebrew will have a workaround
possibility to use some new cool features
We've got homebrew developers to get only THOSE updates, take a look on Mii Channel Updater
avoiding possibility to brick while downgrading
There's a lot of noob-proof guide. EoC is recommended, easy and all in one
avoiding possible problems to run some new original games
002 fix is already available, AC:CF only needs IOS 38.

Any other opinions?

D

Deleted User

Rescue menu is a black screen with the firmware version on the bottom right corner.

IT loads discs, useful when you have a banner brick (Usually from wad installs). Pop in Zelda, do Twilight Hack with WAD Manager, and uninstall the wad.

EnigmaXtreme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
afif95 said:
Rescue menu is a black screen with the firmware version on the bottom right corner.

IT loads discs, useful when you have a banner brick (Usually from wad installs). Pop in Zelda, do Twilight Hack with WAD Manager, and uninstall the wad.

Isnt that kinda like SaveMii?

D

Deleted User

yep.. it's also something like savemiifrii.

But it uses the Y button on a GC Pad to activate it. So you won't have to tear the GC controller apart just to press all of the 4 directions on the GC Pad

tony2tyger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ether2802 said:
if you don't have a ModChip and you are planing to install .wad files (even one of them) thru Wad Manager, YOU HAVE TO just for the Rescue Menu option...!!
biggrin.gif

What if you have a modchip on 3.4? How do you recover from a brick?

D

Deleted User

Let's just hope you have trucha bug, then get yourself an autoboot wad manager

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn