Hacking 3.2u Semi-Bricked. How to unbrick it?

canli

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi, my wii is semi-bricked
WUM manager says that if I have the latest firmware, I have to wait until the next available firmware downloadable.

Isn't there another solution to unbrick it? Installed SMG, Paper Mario, Metroid, MK and SSBB firmware before

thanks

gamidi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
Get SSBB and open it with trucha. Extract rvlsystemmenu257.wad.out.wad from the first partition. Now get a pal game that contains 3.1e(like fire emblem radiant dawn pal) and replace rvlsystemmenu258.wad.out.wad with the one you extracted earlier(rvlsystemmenu257.wad.out.wad) and resign the partition. Now burn the resulting iso. It should ask for an update when you pop it in the wii. Do it and it is unbricked.

blacksoul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Get SSBB and do the Trucha trick like gamidi said or get Mario Kart PAL, it should unbrick your semi-bricked Wii, like it did for a friend of mine.

mwaddoups

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@gamidi: Does this actually work? If so I missed something before lol, I never had the chance to try this. So replacing the 3.1E v258 update with a U (or J, in my case) update will fix semi-bricks. This is great news for me if so, because I bricked with SSBB US on my JAP wii.

Rurounik99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
there is another game with 3.1E update like Fire Emblem??? do you have a list??? please post if you have it.
NTSC US Wii here.

mwaddoups

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
FIRE EMBLEM 10 EUR
NARUTO Clash of Ninja Revolution EUROPEAN VERSION
My Riding Stables
MarioKartWii
NAMCO MUSEUM REMIX
RVL Wii Fit
Iron Man
Spielberg | EA BoomBlox
DRAGON QUEST SWORDS

All of these apparently have 3.1E, according to the WUM website.

gamidi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
I said fire emblem because i know it can be opened with trucha, unlike mario kart wii. As for the trucha method, dcsiso posted it in the wiinewz forums(dsciso is the guys who is making a media center for the wii) and should work with both ntsc-u and ntsc-j bricks. You wont lose anything if you try it. EDIT: The 3.1J firmware is codenamed RVL-SYSTEMMENU256.WAD.OUT.WAD and you can grab it from SSBB -Jap

nysid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
OMG it's fantastic, i'll try it to unbrick my friend semi brick Wii 3.1J (got update from okami US)
so the point is, Wii JP will got update from PAL game but the iso is already edited with trucha & been replace by rvlsystemmenu from SSBB JP (RVL 256)

i've got Error : Replaced file must be equal , in trucha

filename: RVL-WiiSystemmenu-v256.wad.out.wad
offset: 8f5df80
size: 25079104

filename: RVL-WiiSystemmenu-v258.wad.out.wad
offset: 9268380
size: 23387072

Help please...

mwaddoups

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There isn't really too much you can do - I have the same problem. You could try editing the sizes and offsets in the fst.bin, but listed beforehand are the shopping and weather channels, which probably want to be avoided changing to non-real sizes as they could try to install and cause corruption.

Bushing has said there is a way of getting the updates from nintendo's servers themselves, which may solve some of these problems, but unless you are confident editing fst.bin/can be bothered to trace the offsets back to remove one of the older IOS versions instead or something you're sorta stuck. Weird how a later version is smaller than an earlier lol, but I guess its japanese text or something.

nysid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
@mwaddoups
i'have managed replace the file with Wii update manager. When i insert the disc to My Wii 3.2U it show in the channel window there's update. I've check with trucha, the file right now is 256.
I'm going to test it on my frend semi brick Wii Jp, hope it can unbrick.

mwaddoups

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried that, but the fact that it IS 256 may mean it doesn't prompt an update (I haven't tried it in a Wii). I think a possible way to do it would be to edit the offsets and sizes of the Shopping and Weather (i think, whichever ones are before the wiisystemmenu in the update partition) channels, so that they are both small. Since you should already have the latest versions of these, these shouldnt try to update themselves, and editing the fst.bin will allow you to change the offset on the WiiSystemMenu file as well and size to make it large enough to be replaceable. This requires knowing quite a bit about how the fst.bin works - I'm a little scared to try this myself as if it does try to update from the channels with the wrong data, its likely to cause problems.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
wait for bushing to develop a unbricking device or method that will not need a backup of your nand and the use of encrypted keys?

gamidi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
Sorry for not checking the size of the jap update, i only tested the us systemmenu and it fitted in the pal update. You can still use wiiscrubber 1.2 to replace the systemmenu as it supports replacing files bigger than original. You will probably get eur dupe channels from trying this, but they can be removed with waninkoko's tool.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same tbh