3.2e to 4.1 - Is it worth it & if so how...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by macboy24, Sep 4, 2009.

Sep 4, 2009
  1. macboy24
    OP

Newcomer macboy24 Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hi,

I'm on 3.2e (pal) Wii, serial LEH2 and i was wondering if it is worth upgrading to the new 4.1. I have my Wii modded at the moment to use USBLoader GX as all my games are backed up to hard drive.

I don't have Bootmii as it can only be installed as IOS and i have Homebrew 1.03. I have installed Starfall and I've just put on cIOS38.rev14.

I've seen this thread (http://www.gbatemp.net/lofiversion/index.php/t144835-0.html) and wondered if this would work for me. Any advice or help would be really appreciated.

Thanks guys

2. kizer8

Newcomer kizer8 Advanced Member

United States
    I have the same question. I have always heard it was best to stay on 3.2, but is that still the case or is it OK to upgrade to 4.1 and not lose homebrew or future compatability. I have 3.2 with preloader .29 and am not sure if I can upgrade to 4.1 and not lose preloader.

Thanks,
    Kizer

3. aabbccdd

Member aabbccdd GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Just update, you can use either Waninkokos updater or update through Nintendo, you don't lose homebrew functionality. Homebrew channel stays, IOSes get updated though so you'll have to trucha patch them.

You will have to reinstall Preloader after updating, as it gets rid of it when it installs the new system menu.

4. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    4.1 still offers full homebrew
    The advantage over 3.2 is the new SD-menu, which lets you play vc/wiiware games from SD easier

5. kizer8

United States
    Thanks for the responses. I understand the Waninkokos updater, bu I don't understand how to do the trucha patch. Is there a guide you can point me to?

6. supagusti

Member supagusti GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    I've updated to 4.1 and there's no disadvantage.
    Be sure to have installed BootMii (/boot2) with a valid NAND backup before upgrading.
    This offers the possibility to revert back to 3.2 easyly, if you don't like it. (but I'm sure you will)

7. kizer8

United States
    I can't install BootMii as boot2. Do I have any other alternatives to revert back.

8. kizer8

United States
    If I install bootmii as an IOS can I still backup and restore. If yes, how.

9. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    that's what waninkoko's updater is for. it lets the trucha bug in the ios files intact
    there is a slight risk in using that updater. if you don't have enough free blocks it may hang during updating. that could potentially brick the wii.
    bootmii as ios is not full brick protection unfortunately. if you mess up the system, you may not be able to get into the bootmii menu to use the restore function