3.0E Updated Wii & WiiKey

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by avexdevil, Aug 9, 2007.

Aug 9, 2007

3.0E Updated Wii & WiiKey by avexdevil at 5:43 PM (2,344 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. avexdevil
    OP

Newcomer avexdevil Member

Australia
    Hey guys, I'm new around here, got a few questions that require immediate attention!
    Some of them might already be answered, but please have the patience to give a brief answer instead of linking me to a multipage thread.

A) I just updated my 1 day old wii from 2.1E to 3.0E. I want to mod my Wii with the wiikey tomorrow. Will it work any different from wii's that were modchipped when they were running firmwares prior to 3.0E?

B) Is there anyway to check out the manufacturing date of my wii? Does the pre-installed firmware indicate or narrow down the date it might be produced in?

C) Are there inferior/superior Wiikeys out there? What is the best way to differentiate them?

D) Provided question A) has a positive answer, has any edited ISOs of the wiikey config disc been released? And if so, is that the best way to work around the new 3.0E update if you own a WiiKey?

E) Will using online services prior to installing a modchip be harmful to the Wii in anyway? Is it advisable to leave the 24wii connect service on?

F) Is there likely to be any physical changes to the Wiikey? Or does software update sound like a stronger possibility right now?

G) If I have an ISO file to burn a Wii game, wil I require a special type of burner? If not what's this thing about LG burners that will only work for the modded wii?

H) How do I know if my Wii can be fitted with a 3 Legged WiiKey? Mine Wii package came with Wii sports in a dvd case, does that mean anything?

[​IMG] to anyone who is willing and patient enough to answer my questions!

2. wiimii

Member wiimii GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    whats a 3 legged wiikey then?

3. NarcoticV

Newcomer NarcoticV Member

Netherlands
    I'll answer only the stuff that I know:

- Installing and using a chip hasn't changed in any way since the last update. However, some people with modchips (don't know about wiikey however) have experienced their backups (and originals) producing lots of reading errors since the update. Others still work fine. You've been warned.
    - As far as I know, using online services prior to installing a chip doesn't have any bad effects on the wii after modding.
    - The type of burner you use for burning Wii iso's doesn't have to be specific, of course some burners perform better than others but nothing out of the ordinary.
    - Leaving your internet settings and wii connect 24 on shouldn't be bad for your console or wiikey, except when the wii is in a really hot, unventilated position; the wii heats up considerably during connect24 which can lead to unreparable damage. I leave mine on without problems, and reports of this issue are pretty scarce, but you cant be sure enough - there are wii coolers for sale out there to battle this kind of issue.

As a side note, people who left their data batteries out of their wii's for considerable time while installing the chip (for example overnight), have experienced malfunction of internet channels like News channel or Everybody Votes Channel.

Hope i could help

4. Sonicandtails

Member Sonicandtails GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you just got your Wii a day ago, 99% chance that you cannot use a WiiKey on it.

5. ziddey

Member ziddey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    OP, care to post the start of your serial number?

Also, did d2c eurowii's come with 2.1e or 2.2e? Just curious if the 2.1e is indicative of an earlier model that somehow didn't sell.

I've diddled two wiis in america that were both 17 (lu317 and lu517) and both were cut leg d2b and both were 2.2u fwiw.

6. kmzmc

Newcomer kmzmc Newbie

United States
    The WiiKey requires you run the Config iso before you are even allowed to play any backups or originals. The problem: Wii firmware 3.0 will block this disc and all similar (including GCOS). Currently the work arounds are only for systems with an existing WiiKey (or pre-configured). I'm sure its only a matter of days before they fix this...

WiiKey Clone v WiiKey Original: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php?title=WiiKey
    No physical changes planned.
    LG READERS are what is important - only LG-8164/3/2/1b will give you a good dump of a game. Burners - any, with good media (i.e. Verbatim) at 4x burn speed.

7. ziddey

United States
    Welcome to the forums, but do be careful about spreading misinformation.

The wiikey does NOT require you to run the config disc before playing anything else. Hell, I don't even have the wiikey config disc burned.

8. avexdevil
    OP

Australia
    Hey mine is LAH1018, i've done some research, mine has 3 legs cut off my wii...

i've also updated to 3.0e, and i'm quite worried with the whole modding thing right now...

altho,i've absolutely no games or money to buy any new ones, i'll be stuck playinng wii sports for a long time......

9. Abstract3000

Newcomer Abstract3000 Advanced Member

United States

Just curious is there an Explanation of this? Im Confused as to how this could happen all I know that Data Battery For doing is saving the Bluetooth configuration.

also to the previous post by "Sonicandtails" I just bought my little sister a will last friday and got a D2B chip as my friend bought one and got the same one, from all the posts throughout the net it appears that the D2C chip is only in Europe right now, though it will only be a matter of time (wasnt trying to point you out or anything just to give heads up to some out there if they havent gotten their wii yet they have very little time to do so, because theres still allot of people that have no clue about the D2C chipset)

10. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    you never know untill you open it up.

11. Seraph

Member Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'd just like to note that this is false. The config disk is only necessary to turn on the region free setting to play different region games.

12. Anteo

Newcomer Anteo Advanced Member

Canada
    would this work on a 3.0U console???

13. Rocco Savadgie

Member Rocco Savadgie GBAtemp Regular

Actually, this is true for the $7 clones that divineo sells. Those clones do not work until you run the setup disk.

14. dreadyz

Member dreadyz GBAtemp Regular

France
    I just bought a Wii here in France today and the serial no# begins with LEH1256 followed by 5 more numbers (the last being a 9 within a square). Should there be any problems trying to add a chip to this one? Which chip would you guys recommend?

15. ziddey

United States
    most likely d2b. it looks like most pal wii's after leh123 has cut legs, although I've read of a lot of 124's from france that were uncut.

open it up and see.

if it is indeed d2b, you can chip. but if the legs are cut, you'll have quite a bit of work to do.

good luck

16. dreadyz

Member dreadyz GBAtemp Regular

France
    Thanks for the response Ziddy. I wouldn't trust myself to do the work. My girlfriend's father might be able to do it, but I'm a little paranoid about even him doing it if the legs are cut. Does anyone know someone around Paris that could do this? I went in on my Wii with my girlfriend and she is worried about something going wrong ......... and of course the warranty would be voided.

17. webjedi

Member webjedi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You can install the WiiKey and NEVER run the config disc and it'll play backups and originals. The setup disc is only to change regions.

18. avexdevil
    OP

Australia
    i think the most important question here is (coz i see some other threads asking the same thing) and with still no definitive answer...

does installing the wiikey AFTER updating to fw 3.0 cause any problems?