1. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

United States
    There are some games I will buy on release day, but sometimes the prices can come down within even just a month or so. This doesn't work as well with first party Nintendo games, but you can usually eventually get those for $45 when looking out for it.

I would expect most $70 games to drop to the $20 zone and somewhere in between along the way just as quickly as ever.

Even still, I find this to be unpleasant news along with other price increases during a lockdown induced recession where like half the people aren't working anymore.

2. HarvHouHacker

HarvHouHacker GBAtemp's "Official" Wii Rock Band Hacker

United States
    I've been complaining about the pricing of Nintendo products for years - paying $59.99 for each Nintendo title just doesn't sound like something I want to do every time I shop. Now, due to the Primary Console issue, I'm not buying that crap anymore.

To see other manufacturers jack up the prices on their next-gen consoles, is actually kind of shocking. While it is true that usually a console will be most expensive on or shortly after its release and during it's first year or so, but games released on current and next consoles are usually the same price. This new standard is a bit outrageous, but then again, welcome to a new world of gaming.

3. kikongokiller

kikongokiller Big Sneeze#9629

Australia
    I can't wait to pay 110$ AUD for this shitbag of a game

nashismo likes this.
  4. Souperman9

Souperman9 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Is no one gonna talk about the "Mamba Edition" either? That one's $100 USD, and seemingly the only difference is different cover art, and the fact that you start with more in-game currency. It's shameful that their way of honouring Kobe is a $30 increase.

JinTrigger likes this.
  5. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware
    Developer

Micronesia, Federated States of
    Introducing .... the Ten Teraflop Tax :ninja:

6. Lazyt

Lazyt GBAtemp Regular

Czech Republic
    Good luck with that

7. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    They don't even really update the game engine.

8. vincentx77

vincentx77 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think I paid $2.99 for one of those games. That's about as much as I'd ever pay for one. As far as new games costing $70, fuck it. If it's not Persona, I wait for a sale anyway.

9. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    That's one way to call it Terrible Game Design then, if you can call it Game Design at all.

10. _v3

_v3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Croatia
    Sadly they're testing the grounds on the stupidest democratic, the ones that buy the same garbage year in and year out. Not that I care, the AAA titles nowadays are hot garbage for the most part and the ones that are worth buying will probably be worth shelling out the 10 extra € just to support the developers that are actually worth supporting (like CDPR)

11. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

Antarctica
    Sports games are considered triple A? :')

12. Rail Fighter

Rail Fighter GBAtemp Regular

Angola
    I'm happy for them.

13. Souperman9

Souperman9 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    It would be, based on developer size and budget.

14. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

United Kingdom
    This part is even worse than the price hike in my opinion, and the blurb is hilarious:

"NBA 2K21 Mamba Forever Edition will be available for $99.99 for both current and next-generation platforms.** It includes dual-access where purchasing Mamba Forever Edition on either current or next-generation platforms provides a copy of the standard edition game on the other generation at no additional cost, within the same console family"

..So $40/$30 more than the standard release on either generation, plus a teeny bit of feckin in game currency, equals no additional cost does it? Ohh they're fuckin bending over backwards with generosity....:lol: - I thought EA's upgrade to next gen offer was bad: 2K have just out-EA'd EA there!

zfreeman, CrossOut and Souperman9 like this.
  15. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Yeaaaaaaah that's stupid

nxwing and Darksabre72 like this.
  16. Darksabre72

Darksabre72 Blue Falcon

United States
    yep and some believe that if they pay that much that either you're a hater and just broke or they think that with the game having a higher price that the game will not have microtransactions

17. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    not surprising. there's a list of game companies who've gone bankrupt with each new generation due to development costs. the list starts with the ps 1.

18. yoyoyo69

yoyoyo69 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Really have no idea where you pulled that from. Studios are desperate to increase prices as they're greedier than they've ever been.

Event by the fact they are pushing gambling, etc in to children, then whe called out STILL they to get away with it by changing naming, fighting it in court.

The industry is much, much larger than it has eve been also. Just look at the latest records being broken for media sales.

Don't believe the bull they devs and publishers feed you, there's a very good reason huge animation and movie studios have been turning their attention to gaming, they're far from being g the only ones.

The trouble is, it's these fat cats who are even greedier than the current gaming fat cats, whispering in their ear about how much they should be making, whilst taking big chu is of cash and fiddling the books.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The ones who went bust were terrible developers, making terrible games and terrible decisions.

There is no industry where you can makes such choices freely and succeed so well financially. Failure shouldn't be rewarded.

19. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    lol that is the best thing i readed all day, they make an edition that is 30$ extra and that is the only edition that was a ps4/ps5 version and advertise that you get the ps5 upgrade for free after paying 30$ over the regular version lolol.
    Seriously this is one of the dumbest things ever, what is next buy the deluxe version of a game for more 30$ and you get dlc for free? lol

20. CTR640

CTR640 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Suuure, and on top of the 70$, just add more microtransactions...
    Stupid greedy fucks.

Glyptofane, Bladexdsl and Japermen like this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - considering, publishers, following