1. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Co's VGM Addict

Germany
    Why shouldnt I call a game that I havent played yet and that only came out less than a month ago new? Do you want me to call it old?

2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I wouldn't waste $70+ on a NBA game that just gets old after one year.

Zense likes this.
  3. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    ayy lmao I was thinking "huh here too", then I look at the damn flag. makes sense.

4. Dasanko

Dasanko Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Spain
    Indeed. Must be nice to get them at 20990 forints (roughly 60€).
    Like the other people said, however, in € they sell for about 70€.

5. J-Machine

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Canada
    so 70USD is lets see... 104.50 CAD. wonderful. guess I'll stick to used market and indies next gen

Zense likes this.
  6. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Italy
    A 1 month old game to you is new, to someone else that could be after they've played and finished it several times after having bought it day one. Personally I'm fine waiting years to play something since I'm not in a hurry.

I was merely pointing out that many people have difficulties waiting a month to buy a game, which is also why I believe many fans of these annual games won't be able to resist buying the game on day one or within the first week.

Also, as @Hayato213 pointed out above, the annual sports games get old much quicker so one month after release means they'll have only 11 months left to be relevant.

Last edited by Zense, Jul 4, 2020
  7. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Well, if the games will cost more then i dont want to see a 5 gb day one mandatory patch or its not worth it. It better be a complete working game. Im not buying $70 betas

nxwing and Zense like this.
  8. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Italy
    Before they were 60$ alphas, now you're getting 70$ betas. For 10$ more you'll get the complete game!

Captain_N likes this.
  9. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Boy, aint that the truth.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

At first i thought the physical version would be $70 and the digital ver be $60. Just to phase out physical faster. Publishers would love physical to die off. Then they will force streaming, so that way you never own anything and always have to play them to do anything.

Zense likes this.
  10. Burlsol

Burlsol GBAtemp Regular

Just wait 3 months and the price will fall to about $15...

But then again we're talking about people who essentially pay full price for roster updates and features removed to be resold as DLC.

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    The cost is only going up because they choose to spend more. There are some allowances for inflation (in 1995 money then £50k is £90 something k today) but if anything the cost to make similar games has gone down (finding a coder to make a 16 bit console RPG today would be a seriously hard task, any kid with a copy of RPG maker could make something similar, especially if we take story writing, mechanics design and art off the table for them), and the potential market is far higher too.
    If you want to chase the limits of practicality and tech then that will cost you but... how many mega smash hits, the likes of which dwarf the shiny shiny, have we had now with just memorable nice graphics rather than all the reflection calculated for some random NPC's brow?

As for sports games starting it do you think they did not pick precisely those so as to do it by stealth, normalise things or dull the impact? If most sports games fans are rabid DLC buyers and annual purchasers, and at least somewhat disconnected from the gaming mainstream with said mainstream also generally looking down on things... could not think of a better thing to start on really.

zfreeman likes this.
  12. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    Console AAA games 70Bucks,
    Online behind Great Paywall!

PC mustarace laugh in distance XD.

Shalashaska98 likes this.
  13. Dinomite

Dinomite Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Great idea, Mei Ling.

nxwing likes this.
  14. Teletron1

Teletron1 Space Tech Engineer

United States
    So Digital age is here and some how it’s costing the consumer an extra $10 :blink: this is where fans will make noise and push back or allow another price hike 49 59 69 (plus special editions) . I guess this is where Xbox can grow their subscribers for Gamepass if they can lock in more games

damn what happen to free games with ads idea :rofl2:

15. DarkCoffe64

Italy
    They can raise the prices all they want, I myself ain't gonna buy any of their shit they're gonna crap out, nothing that really interests me much.

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  16. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

United States
    As much as I dislike this, games have been uncharacteristically cheap in the US for some time.
    The biggest new releases cost the equivalent of $90 in Japan.

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  17. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist A genuine feline disaster.

United States
    I honestly think an increase in game costs isn't a good thing, but it's most certainly something that's been coming for a long time. With how much more it costs to develop triple-A games now, combined with how much less most currencies are worth now, I can see this being a sensible move.

P.S: Sports games aren't really my thing, most of the time, and I wouldn't pay more than 10 bucks for one, let alone 70, so I can't really speak much on the front of this game, specifically, but..

Last edited by StrayGuitarist, Jul 4, 2020 - Reason: Added "P.S." part.
  18. ken28

ken28 GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    if would be stupid no to do so since they own gog ;)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

easy solution dont bloat up the cost of your games by always trying to make the games photorealistic... which results in most games looking the same nowadays...

19. ombus

ombus GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Never will i buy a game at 70...after i bought horizon zero dawn at 60 a couple of months after it came out and then this year i check and i see that they are selling it at 15 for the game + expansion i regreted the purchase...

20. Zonark

Zonark Zonark - Noun - A God

United States
    I remember the first time this happened when games went to $60. And now the same for $70... in regards to this, A wise and famous person once said “Eat my Shorts” - Bart Simpson

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - considering, publishers, following