1. 11,187

Front-page
    nRjOEIz.png

2K Games has the potential to shake up the standard pricing of video games, as NBA 2K21 has been revealed to retail at $69.99 for the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 versions of the game. This puts the base version of NBA 2K21 at $10 more than the regular price of AAA games, which is quite unusual. 2K Games asserts that the higher-than-average MSRP of the game merely "represents the value of what's being offered: power, speed, and technology that is only possible on new hardware". For the United States, the $59.99 asking price of video games has been commonplace since the mid 2000's, though many other countries have seen the cost of gaming increase throughout more recent years, such as in Canada as of 2015. Meanwhile, in the UK, NBA 2K21 will cost slightly more in that region as well, with the last-gen version priced at £59.99, and the XSX/PS5 release set at £64.99. Whether or not more games will also join this new pricing convention is still unknown, but according to IDG Consulting, other publishers are closely monitoring the reaction to an overall rise in cost for video games, and are considering following suit for future AAA releases.

:arrow: Source

x65943, KingVamp, Mr. Looigi and 2 others like this.
  2. Discussion (152 replies)

3. AbyssalMonkey

AbyssalMonkey GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    It will sell just fine, and set the standard for other companies to follow.

It was a smart move from them pushing it to test on people who are willing to spend thousands of dollars on in-game gambling. They'll put up with that shit.

TheCasualties, hurrz, nxwing and 8 others like this.
  4. Fugelmir

Fugelmir GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    They're not getting any money from me until I can purchase a skin that makes the ball look like a coconut or hairy scrotum.

5. Snintendog

Snintendog Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I hate that you are right Cows will pay a crap ton for garbage.

6. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Just NBA 2K20 reskinned without you keeping your progress. We all know it to be true. Just look at when 2K20 was released, it used the 2K19 logo for it's taskbar icon, proving for the most part it they just update the game engine and reskin things, and sell it as a whole new game.

hurrz, nxwing, StrayGuitarist and 2 others like this.
  7. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    A price increase for AAA games has been a long time coming, but if ever there were a series that fails most to justify that increase, it'd be this one or Madden. The graphics were already "next gen" for PC releases, and the games are just copy-paste jobs from their "2020" iterations.

hurrz, nxwing, x65943 and 4 others like this.
  8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Do they also come with in game purchases?

Anyway people keep telling me prices should go up. I say no. Your audience is 10x larger than it ever was and processing has only gotten cheaper. I am not funding your tech fetish.

Nollog, TheCasualties, hurrz and 15 others like this.
  9. Shalashaska98

Shalashaska98 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Let's start a boycott campaign and not buy any overpriced games.

hurrz, nashismo, ita54 and 9 others like this.
  10. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    in europe new ps4 games are 70 euros so will they now cost 80 euros on europe? lol

hurrz, Arras, ita54 and 2 others like this.
  11. Jayinem81

Jayinem81 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I started pretty much waiting at least 1 year to buy 95% of the games I buy. A few exceptions for games that I really want I buy at launch but otherwise I just wait until I can find them for $20 or less. It's worked out well for me. Of course I might have to wait a little longer next gen, but I'll just do that.

CrossOut, Glyptofane, osaka35 and 2 others like this.
  12. RyRyIV

RyRyIV Chicken Chaser
    Contributor

United States
    The stagnant price of games has often been used to justify DLC and other in game purchases. With a raise in prices on the horizon, I’m sure this means that we’ll return to a time where games were completed out of the box and DLC was minor, if non-existent, right? ... Right... ?

13. Jayinem81

United States
    Sure thing, they'll even throw in the sequel for free.

14. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    I don't think prices should go up, but I do think it was entirely predictable.

Won't somebody please think of those poor starving publishers and their accountants who have to factor in inflation?! :rolleyes:

hurrz, Shadowfied, Sono and 1 other person like this.
  15. gaga941021

gaga941021 GBAtemp Regular

Hungary
    You must be living in a different Europe than I do.

16. diigimatrix

diigimatrix Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Looks like I won’t be buying an NBA game again. Unless on a Steam sale or something. In “My Day” when you bought a game you got the full game. Didn’t mind paying a little extra for the Full game. But these days you buy a game for a ridiculous price and still then have to buy DLC (which is again not too bad) but then have other things placed behind a fire wall makes me mad. No wonder so many people turn to piracy.....

Captain_N likes this.
  17. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Only inflation that game devs have to consider is the inflating number of sub specialities they seem to think are warranted.

Sono likes this.
  18. Keyofdestiny

Keyofdestiny Member
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    what a joke

hurrz, Y0shII, nxwing and 3 others like this.
  19. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    any full priced game cost 70 euros here
    for instance fnac store(france eletronic store chain that also exists here https://www.fnac.pt/The-Last-of-Us-Part-2-PS4-Jogo-PlayStation-4/a7173370#omnsearchpos=10

another eletronic store worten https://www.worten.pt/gaming/ps4/jogos-ps4/jogo-ps4-death-stranding-acao-m18-6841459

any full priced ps4 game is 69.99 here since ps3 days unless you get them on promotion days and such. switch games cost 60 euros full priced , ps4 and xb1 cost 70.

Last edited by pedro702, Jul 4, 2020
    gnmmarechal and Justinde75 like this.
  20. Jayinem81

United States
    NBA 2K is published by Take-Two, so is GTA V. Will they have the audacity to price GTA V a game from 2 gens ago at $70? I think they will and it will still sell millions more.

21. ZoNtendo

ZoNtendo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

I'd buy Cyberpunk 2077, GTA6, ect... for 70$

But if you expect me to buy Call Of Duty, Fifa ect... for 70$, next gen or not, fuck off.

Snintendog and Stealphie like this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - considering, publishers, following