2K and Blizzard remove microtransactions and lootboxes from their Belgian games to comply with laws

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 28, 2018.

Front-page
    IMG_0703.PNG

Thanks to the new laws in Belgium, which have classified certain instances of lootboxes and microtransactions as "gambling", 2K Games and Blizzard have been forced to remove these from their games. Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, and NBA 2K have been affected, for the region of Belgium, due to the aforementioned legal decision. Both companies maintain that they do not agree with the ruling, but that they must forcefully comply. Heroes of the Storm and Overwatch no longer allow players to purchase lootboxes, while NBA 2K18 has partially removed MyTeam Packs, their form of lootboxes, though ingame currency can still be used to obtain them.

This follows similar changes made in games like CS:GO and FIFA 18 having to disable lootboxes for Belgian players. While not being considered as illegal, Forza Motorsport 7 and Shadow of War voluntarily removed their microtransactions worldwide as well.

:arrow: Source: Battle.net

IMG_0702.JPG

Discussion (95 replies)
  1. Nitro-Gale

Nitro-Gale Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2018
    United States
    This whole ideology of Loot boxes need to go away if you ask me.

Oh well.

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ definitely not Lilith

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    Another victory against these horrible practices!

mangotowel, Riyaz, WeedZ and 11 others like this.
  3. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    This is just a step for a small country. The U.K. ruled that these instances are not gambling, and are fine to stay.

Metoroid0, B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N and Memoir like this.
  4. Daisy

Daisy Contributor

pip Contributor
    Aug 17, 2015
    United Kingdom
    UK
    The system is literally just paying money in order to have a chance of getting rare items, and they were surprised? It's gambling. I really hate lootboxes.

mangotowel, Metoroid0, Ra1d and 4 others like this.
  5. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Hooray for my country standing up against corporate.
    Btw some info is wrong in this post seeing lootboxes haven't been removed but the means of buying lootboxes with real currency have been removed

Last edited by kumikochan, Aug 28, 2018
  6. koyuki38

koyuki38 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 2, 2015
    France
    This needs to be worldwide.

7. Nitro-Gale

Nitro-Gale Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2018
    United States
    Here's my issue with this on top of the idea being extremely grubby.

For all we know, they could be rigging the system to make it more favorable that you spend more money on loot boxes to get what you want. Who's to say that the loot boxes themselves don't have something set up with them to provide low odds of getting whatever is classified as rarer items or whatever is classified as an equivalent in the game?

I'm pretty sure I read up somewhere about certain mobile platforms requiring to discloses the odds placed on their applications when it comes to loot boxes for mobile games or something to that tune.

8. deinonychus71

deinonychus71 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 12, 2008
    United States
    Chicago
    Whats funny is that it won't fix anything.

These people in overwatch will still want the super nice new skins that their friends in other countries can get, and they will still not be happy.

9. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    They still can, the info in the post is actually incorrect. Lootboxes are still a thing in overwatch, just the means to buy in game currency with real currency or buying a set amount of lootboxes with money have been removed. If someone can double check from Belgium please since I don't have the game installed anymore so I can't check right now

10. TunaKetchup

TunaKetchup GBAtemp Fan

Mar 20, 2018
    Vietnam
    Remove them from United States too ASSHOLES!

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Wonder how they are determining region, and what languages they allow if they do. Had quite a few games restrict things I am normally used to seeing for free behind such things and would be nice to either see them back or gone from the menus.

Edit
    Are we making that distinction? I don't know that I have seen anybody make it before when it is effectively rendered an in game (random) reward, such as those which have existed for decades.

Last edited by FAST6191, Aug 28, 2018
  12. deinonychus71

Sep 12, 2008
    United States
    Chicago
    so you only get lootboxes by leveling up now?

Yeah. No, it won't get people who are usually the target of these lootboxes any happier.
    I would know, i have a gambling issue on another game :)

13. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Corp's VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    But if the Lootbox content is unavailable, will they be earnable through playing?

14. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    that's what i'm getting from their post they made.
    ''Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm players located in Belgium from purchasing in-game loot boxes and loot chests with real money and gems.''
    They didn't say anything about removing loot boxes

15. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    Yay!!! Now remove them from the world. And since you are at it... but repeal DLC and force companies to actually finish the games before putting them out.

c80 and Subtle Demise like this.
  16. deinonychus71

Sep 12, 2008
    United States
    Chicago
    These laws don't treat the symptoms.
    The ONLY reliable way to fix this is having the consumer as a whole stop financing this.
    And have skins put back into the content as unlockable, like it was with older games.
    Mind you I don't even know why would anyone prefer a overwatch over TF2 which has tons of content, or even UT2004 which has hundreds of gametypes available, thousands of maps, and no lootboxes.
    Maybe I'm too old :) but I swear it looks like players want to get screwed anyway.

c80, CaptainSodaPop and CallmeBerto like this.
  17. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    it does tho. It puts it on the spot and shows companies they can't do as they please seeing other games removed their lootboxes. Example would be shadow of war etc.

Metoroid0 likes this.
  18. deinonychus71

Sep 12, 2008
    United States
    Chicago
    Shadow of War lootboxes were removed because of the backlash of the players and continuous bad press. Not because laws were changed.
    This is just my opinion yes, but I do think legislators should not intervene in this. The players lobby is strong enough to change that.

DarthDub and CallmeBerto like this.
  19. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    I did not claim it was because of this. I'm saying that it all does make a difference in general. i'm atleast glad that my country intervened. it shows companies they're not above the law and should never ever think that they are just because they're a corporate power