2gb Memory Card Speed Differences?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by simpson17, May 27, 2007.

May 27, 2007
  1. simpson17
    OP

Member simpson17 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just lost my Sandisk 1gb Ultra II memory card and am looking to replace it. At newegg.com there are several different 2gb cards and I was wondering there were any speed difference between the cards to justify a higher price tag.

I'm looking to buy the kingston 2gb card, and am wondering what the cons are (slowdowns in games, what games have slow downs, etc) -
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820134478

Any help would be appreciated.

2. HipN

Member HipN GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I heard that only 2 (maybe 3) games out of all the DS games experience slowdowns. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin of w/e its call, and Tony Hawk

3. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Castlevania: POR will crash frequently, and Tony Hawk will suffer slowdown (1 second more for every 5 seconds, or a similar ratio). Other games may experience longer loading times, and longer black screens (eg. moving between maps in Final Fantasy, or Animal Crossing). It is generally not noticeable.

4. simpson17
    OP

United States
    thanks for the help every1. it seems it is inevitable to avoid getting a card that wont have any slowdowns so i have made my choice.
    after reading fifthelements review on 2gb cards i'll be picking up a 2gb adata or patriot. someone in another thread stated no slowdowns or freezes with his patriot card. i dont know if i want to take my chances and buy something i dont know if it is quality (especially since the oem states the card only has 60x speeds)

fifthelements article (need to login to read) -
    http://www.moddz.com/index.php?n=modules/articles&a=7&d=23
    thread where patriot was stated to have no slowdowns -
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=51168&st=0

5. 4saken

Australia
    The read speeds don't really mean much. It's access times that matter.
    Heres a comparison of the Toshiba 2GB and Kingston 1GB (both Japanese manufactured) using HDTach. As you can see, the Toshiba completely kicks the Kingston in read speed, but loses out in access times. Hopefully it is still fast enough to run Castlevania: POR without freezing [​IMG] I'll be testing it later. If it works, I can sell my copy of C: POR [​IMG]

Kingston
    [​IMG]

Toshiba
    [​IMG]

6. 4saken

Australia
    Freezes. Shouldn't have been so excited >_> I'm going to try it on my M3 later.

Scratch that: It freezes HALF the time >_> I just have to wait for the animation to finish. Let me do a bit more testing. So far. It's like 2 in 5 that crash.

It's actually playable. Which is nice. If you have one, just make sure you safe often >_> I'll try it on my M3 Lite later.

I've actually only crashed once or twice, and none when I've waited for the animation to finish loading (on further inspection, it seems you can't load the stone before the animation finishes anyway, so yea [​IMG]

EDIT 2: Okay. It freezes very rarely. Twice in over twenty travels of the stone portal - and this was when I pressed up before waiting for the animation the load (the stone rising and going all colorful)

7. myclock

Member myclock GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    it really depends on the card. just got one from 4saken and boy its a beauty!!!!!!!! cheers for a good card [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. 4saken

Australia
    No problem [​IMG]

Update on the crashes: incredibly rare - but it does happen. Plus I should note that the crashes have only occurred at two particular portals (don't know the names since I was randomly teleporting - but I could recognize the map)

9. kikoexe

Member kikoexe GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    I have a 2GB Kingston Micro SD Card (Taiwan) and Castlevania POR does not freeze or lock up.. and i got the Micro SD at a very cheap price.. very happy gamer here.. [​IMG]

10. kikoexe

Member kikoexe GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    *double post edited*

sorry

11. 4saken

Australia
    Good news >_> Toshiba 2GB doesn't crash at all on my M3 Lite. Does anybody know where it definitely crashes (heard something about spamming start (the menu?) somewhere, but I'm not sure as I've only just started on my real cart)? I've tried randomly teleporting between portals - but no freezes in over 20 travels so I'm assuming it's safe.

12. simpson17
    OP

United States
    thanks for the help 4saken. out of curiosity where did u buy the 2gb toshiba branded card?

13. 4saken

Australia
    From Japan or Hong Kong? I don't think they've hit online retailers/eBayers yet, so you might have to get one privately.