Hardware 2DS XL Powers On With Blue Screen Of Death. Any help?

engineer6271

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my friend recently (about a week and a half ago) dropped his 2DS XL device into a puddle. It was completely submerged for about 5 seconds. He then removed it, attempted to blow the water out (out of the game slot, charger slot, etc), and then let it dry. He then gave it to me to fix (because the screen we cracked, etc). I instantly powered it on (to check for damage) and is powered on normally. I then removed the battery and checked for corrosion. Fast forward a week, I haven’t had a chance to fix it, so I decided to finally turn it on again, and it powered to the blue screen of death (error code: 8046). I attempted to clean it again and remove the battery, but still the same thing. Also, this DS is not modded at all.

Any help?

Thanks.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The N2DSXL isn't sturdy and despite being harder to open than other DS, it is NOT sealed. Liquid damage is mean because of long-term damage through corrosion. Even if a device seemingly survived water (or even beverages containing acid) it can fail days/weeks/months later because of the liquid.
It is important to remove the battery instantly (good luck on a device like N2DSXL). I would disassemble as soon as possible and clean the electronics with isopropyl (push the water away and stop corrosion).

An 8046 because of hardware damage doesn't look promising. You might find a hint what the error code below means here:
https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Bootrom#Error_Codes

engineer6271

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The N2DSXL isn't sturdy and despite being harder to open than other DS, it is NOT sealed. Liquid damage is mean because of long-term damage through corrosion. Even if a device seemingly survived water (or even beverages containing acid) it can fail days/weeks/months later because of the liquid.
It is important to remove the battery instantly (good luck on a device like N2DSXL). I would disassemble as soon as possible and clean the electronics with isopropyl (push the water away and stop corrosion).
I have done all of this. Is there anything else I can do?

• Sad
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have done all of this. Is there anything else I can do?
There is not much you can do. If you have a compatible R4 you could try ntrboot into GodMode9 to see if the NAND is found at all.
https://3ds.hacks.guide/ntrboot

When it comes to to this part https://3ds.hacks.guide/installing-boot9strap-(ntrboot), you would have GodMode9.firm renamed to boot.firm on your micro-SD instead of SafeB9SInstaller. I suspect the NAND drives to not show up at all because either the NAND is fried or cannot be reached due to drop and/or water damage.

My guess is that this isn't repairable unless a talented expert tries to troubleshoot the board (if the NAND is not fried). This is not economical viable. If there is paid content on the NNID linked to the device, tell Nintendo the console is fully destroyed (and went to recycling). They should unlink the NNID and this allows linking it to another 2|3DS console.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
like do you have a picture of the 2ds
You just want to see a 2DS going blue screen? I made my O3DSXL show 8046 Bootrom error in 2020.
I won't do it to my N2DSXL now, but I guess there are plenty of pictures online. Just try Google/Duckduckgo/Bing/whatever image search.

3ds_blue_screen-jpg.220805

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1