2DS XL not turning on (blue light flashes then turns off)

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by silvershadow, Aug 23, 2018.

1. silvershadow
    OP

silvershadow GBAtemp Regular

May 16, 2006
    Canada
    I have a 2DS XL, and when i press the power, the blue light flashes, and turns off quickly.

I have b9s installed, 11.8, and latest luma 9.1.

If i hold power for a while (20 seconds or so, and then press power again, it sometimes boots but crashes.

I am also SOMETIMES able to boot into godmode9 by holding start.

after getting into godmode9, i barely managed to boot the system from there, got to my icons, but it just froze up.

Is this a possible problem with my microSD or is it possible something else is messed up?

CTRNAND luma i think booted once without the microSD, but i think it crashed too.

-No game card has ever been in the system, its digital only
    -it is owned by two small boys, so i'm leaning towards they squeezed it harder than it can handle, or something along those lines

I currently don't have the 2ds XL in my possession, but i will be getting it soon so i'm trying to gather some information ahead of time.

Ill try any and all suggestions that are relevant. Thank you!

Thanks in advanced for anyone that can help.

2. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    0. Remove and reinsert your battery to reset RAM memory. You'll need a small screwdriver to access it.​
    1. Copy everything off your SD card over to your computer.
    2. Reformat the card in FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size. You will need guiformat if it's bigger than 32 GB.
    3. Check the card for hardware defects using H2testw in a Full Write + Verify test.
    4. Unzip the files in the archive in this post to create a test CFW setup.
    (A) If you can boot into HOME Menu.
    5a. Delete the test setup. Copy your stuff back onto the card and check again. You may need to troubleshoot.
    (B) If you can't boot into HOME Menu.
    5b. Resort to SysNAND Restore (Safe) if you ever backed your SysNAND *.bin image.
    (C) If you can't boot into HOME Menu AND do not have a back up of SysNAND
    5c. Attempt CTRTransfer.
    (D) If you can't boot into HOME Menu despite (A), (B), and (C).
    5d. Your n2DSXL may have hardware damage. Open discussion in other options and things to try.​

Itzumi and silvershadow like this.
  3. silvershadow
    OP

May 16, 2006
    Canada
    Thanks soo much!! I will be sure to try everything here.

And share my findings.

4. silvershadow
    OP

May 16, 2006
    Canada
    Just wanted to give a quick update.

I didn't get to try any of the things above yet.

When i got the 2dsxl in my possession, all i did was charge it with my usb charger to full. then i turned it on, and it worked normally.
    I wonder if the charger my nephew was using is damaged and not charging the system properly so it cant turn on fully.

I'm going to keep trying it out a bit more and see if i can replicate those original issues and i will keep all of ur suggestions in my back pocket.

I have the nand dump ready just in case.

5. able

able Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2018
    United States
    what happens if you remove the sd card and turn it on?

6. silvershadow
    OP

May 16, 2006
    Canada
    When i remove the SD card and turn it on, sometimes it boots to ctrnand luma but then crashes on the home menu after a short period. other times it just flashes a blue light and doesnt actually turn on.

i tried booting into godmode9 to do a nand restore, but when starting the process, it just crashes. (i lied, i didnt try a restore yet, i was trying to backup that bad one, maybe i should just try a restore).

However, once when booting into godmode9, it crashed before i can even navigate to the section that allows me to do a nand restore.

I wonder if its having a hard time reading the nand because its corrupted.

I also couldnt open and take out the battery because my good triwing is missing in action (2DS XL needs a triwing to open), and the cheap one i got with my joycon shells is a piece of garbage.

*Going to try a restore now and just forget about the save data (i was hoping i would be able to extract the save data from the nand backup at some point in time, but i think its more important to get the system working, than it is to get back the save data)

EDIT: Just started a restore: it started off promising, but then it hangs at 1%, but everything is still on the screen, i will just leave it to see if it fixes it self (this is a system restore (SAFE)).

EDIT 2: this definately seems like a hardware issue. If i put the 2ds down on a desk, and press the buttons really easily, i managed to get a system restore to complete. It doesnt boot anymore, but it atleast finished the system restore.
    If i press any part of the 2ds with pressure harder than what is needed to softly press the buttons, then it tends to crash.

what do you guys think?

Last edited by silvershadow, Sep 18, 2018