Hardware 2ds xl, is there a fix for the popping and turning off?

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ive done a lot of searching and can find very little info on the 2ds xl not turning on, it pops and turns off.
There is a lot on 3ds but not so much on 2ds.
So i bought a faulty 2ds xl to have a mess with while stuck in, not much else to do!
I have read that it could be a damaged ribbon cable but decided to strip it down today and disconnect all of the cables to have a look they all look fine, there is no water damage?
Stripped it and rebuilt but have the same issue.
So what else could i check, I do have my own fully working so could strip that and swap bits over but not keen on accidentally mixing bits!
Any ideas would be great!

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ive done a lot of searching and can find very little info on the 2ds xl not turning on, it pops and turns off.
I have read that it could be a damaged ribbon cable but decided to strip it down today and disconnect all of the cables to have a look they all look fine, there is no water damage?
Stripped it and rebuilt but have the same issue.

That does sound like a cable problem - the system is failing the self check because not all of the crucial parts are reporting as connected.

It could also be a damaged ribbon cable socket - some of them have a tab you need to lift gently to release the cable, some hold the cable in by friction alone and the tab will break off if lifted.

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It doesn't seem to have been opened before so all the tabs seemed fine, none loose.
The only thing I didn't do was remove the top screen completely to fully check that cable fully. It's such a ball ache to do that, i was hoping it was something on the main board!

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It doesn't seem to have been opened before so all the tabs seemed fine, none loose.
The only thing I didn't do was remove the top screen completely to fully check that cable fully. It's such a ball ache to do that, i was hoping it was something on the main board!

Well, it could be something on the main board, but I'm not sure how you'd work out exactly what. There are several thread on here describing the same popping you're getting but on n3DS - maybe trawl them for diagnosis methods? Or look at the iFixit teardown: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/552358/It+froze+up+in+middle+of+play+and+now+won't+power+on.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Since you mention popping, I assume you mean a little sound coming from it. The most common cause of popping is bricks, cable can cause it too but it's much rarer and you say you've checked them all, so all that's left is bricking basically. Since it's bricked and I assume not hardmodded you'll have to use a flashcard to unbrick it. If you can return it and get your money back then buy a different 2DS that would be much better honestly.

PS: And for all intents and purposes, unless it's a STRICTLY hardware thing (eg: hardmodding), anything about the 3DS also applies to the 2DS and vice versa.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A quick update!
Could not find a good guide to trying to flash a new nand so decided to swap over bits from my working 2ds xl.
I swapped motherboards, so my working board does not boot in the faulty 2ds, the faulty 2ds board does boot in my working 2ds.
SO.. This unfortunately shows it is a hardware issue with the 2ds xl, I hoped it would be software so maybe easier to fix.
I have gone over the connections again, they all look like they are all good and tight, the ribbon cables look good, I have shined a light onto the screens and can not see any breaks so these look good!
So it must be a connection with a fault but at the moment not sure which one! :(

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's also possible that one of the screens or some other important part is internally damaged somehow, I had that with a DS phat

nintenbrolluseless

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I briefly had this issue once, it was an issue with a connection in the hinge of my o3ds, I just messed with the hinge a bit and that was the end of the issue.

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I briefly had this issue once, it was an issue with a connection in the hinge of my o3ds, I just messed with the hinge a bit and that was the end of the issue.
thanks, I have stripped down but even disconnecting and re-connecting can not get it going
its on hold for now.
Trying to find some details on the board like fuse locations?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: