Hacking 2DS XL FW Inquriy.

defunct32

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Hi all,

My apologies if I posted in the wrong thread/place.

Need your advice. I bought a 2DS XL from someone else and he mentioned it is modded and he is using flashcard to play 3DS games, as I already have all the games I wanted physically and I am planning to buy some digital games from eShop...

1. Is there a way to make this a normal non-modded hardware again? Personally, I don't mind about the handheld being "back to normal."

2. How do we know or determined mine is modded? I believe we can check the system FW? I can post a screen later in the day.

Is there anything else I need to know about all these? Thanks all.

Reactions: zxr750j

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can tell if you have CFW installed or not by holding down the select button while powering on, ideally, it is better off to stay on CFW if you have it installed, you can play online on the 3DS even if you are on CFW Nintendo doesn't care too much about that anymore.

As for uninstalling goes, you can follow this guide if you have CFW and wants to uninstall.

https://3ds.hacks.guide/uninstall-cfw.html

defunct32

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Thanks sir, for your quick reply. I will update again soon. I asked if he modded it himself but he mentioned he bought it off someone else (so I'm considered a "third hand" owner) and it already came modded.

I see, in your opinion it is best to stay as is? I think I will give it a play around with it for a few days then. I am afraid of getting banned and the hardware becomes useless as I am eyeing some eShop games, can we still purchase titles off eShop even under CFW?

Thank you so much.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks sir, for your quick reply. I will update again soon. I asked if he modded it himself but he mentioned he bought it off someone else (so I'm considered a "third hand" owner) and it already came modded.

I see, in your opinion it is best to stay as is? I think I will give it a play around with it for a few days then. I am afraid of getting banned and the hardware becomes useless as I am eyeing some eShop games, can we still purchase titles off eShop even under CFW?

Thank you so much.

On the 3DS you can access eshop and buy stuffs on CFW, you will be fine as long you don't cheat online.

defunct32

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Great! By cheat do you mean using things like Gameshark kind of cheat and then going online to multiplay?

Alright, to sum it up!

1. I can go back to stock hardware if I want to by using the link you provided.

2. Ideally still best to stay on CFW.

3. On CFW you can:

- Buy games, DLCs on the eShop.
- As long as you don't cheat.

Thanks.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great! By cheat do you mean using things like Gameshark kind of cheat and then going online to multiplay?

Alright, to sum it up!

1. I can go back to stock hardware if I want to by using the link you provided.

2. Ideally still best to stay on CFW.

3. On CFW you can:

- Buy games, DLCs on the eShop.
- As long as you don't cheat.

Thanks.

Rules apply to online multi-player games typically.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

defunct32

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Noted. Here are the screens:

20201113_110923.jpg 20201113_114626.jpg

It says something about Luma? Is this the latest permanent CFW? Anything I should know or be wary of?

Oh, right, the NNID is of the previous owner, is it okay to perform a factory reset or something and sign in to mine?

Thanks.

Last edited by defunct32,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Take out the SD card and make sure you can still boot.

If you can't boot, then you just need to copy Luma to the NAND (or update whatever version is already in the NAND). This is important so that the unit can still be used if something happens to the SD card slot. (It's very unlikely that something could happen, but possible.)

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

defunct32

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
You should be good, if you want to remove NNID check the link below.

https://3ds.hacks.guide/godmode9-usage

Thanks. This is the one, right?:

Removing an NNID without formatting your device
  1. Launch GodMode9 by holding (Start) during boot
  2. Press (Home) to bring up the action menu
  3. Select “Scripts…”
  4. Select “GM9Megascript”
  5. Select “Scripts from Plailect’s Guide”
  6. Select “Remove NNID”
  7. Press (A) to continue
  8. Press (A) to unlock SysNAND (lvl1) writing, then input the key combo given
  9. Press (A) to continue
  10. Press (B) to return to the main menu
  11. Select “Exit”
  12. Press (A) to relock write permissions if prompted
  13. Press (Start) to reboot your device
Take out the SD card and make sure you can still boot.

If you can't boot, then you just need to copy Luma to the NAND (or update whatever version is already in the NAND). This is important so that the unit can still be used if something happens to the SD card slot. (It's very unlikely that something could happen, but possible.)

I will try.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

"Take out the SD card and make sure you can still boot.

If you can't boot, then you just need to copy Luma to the NAND (or update whatever version is already in the NAND). This is important so that the unit can still be used if something happens to the SD card slot. (It's very unlikely that something could happen, but possible.)"

I got this:

20201113_120832.jpg

Should I be concerned?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea that is the script to remove the NNID, Im not 100% if you can link another acoount. @TurdPooCharger can you confirm on this.
If it can be helped, try to not remove the NNID through the script approach. The script removes the NNID off of the handheld, but the NNID would still be officially linked as far as Nintendo server record goes. This complicates linking a new NNID on that user setup when the movable.sed retains the same 0x30 slot KeyY (No factory reset or Format System Memory). You would have to call Nintendo hotline to unlink the old NNID from their server so that new NNID can be registered.
If you unlink the old NNID, I think this will automatically uninstall the previous owner's games and saves.

EDIT - If you don't know the previous owner's 4-digit PIN, this can be searched with * CTRTransfer (Type D9) - Lookup Parental PIN.
  • * I think they're the same PIN.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

defunct32

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
If it can be helped, try to not remove the NNID through the script approach. The script removes the NNID off of the handheld, but the NNID would still be officially linked as far as Nintendo server record goes. This complicates linking a new NNID on that user setup when the movable.sed retains the same 0x30 slot KeyY (No factory reset or Format System Memory). You would have to call Nintendo hotline to unlink the old NNID from their server so that new NNID can be registered.
If you unlink the old NNID, I think this will automatically uninstall the previous owner's games and saves.

Thanks man, means I will unlink via System Settings officially. Also, as per kwyjor's post about removing the SD Card and booting up without it, I tried and the 2DS XL wouldn't load. Is that normal?

20201113_120832.jpg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks man, means I will unlink via System Settings officially. Also, as per kwyjor's post about removing the SD Card and booting up without it, I tried and the 2DS XL wouldn't load. Is that normal?

-snip-
That means the n2DSXL requires updating some CFW files on the SD card and/or CTRNAND.

Download Luma3DS v10.2, Homebrew Launcher v2.1.1, and GodMode9 v1.9.1; add these to your SD card. If there are newer releases of those files than the versions listed here, go with the latest available stable build. Any that are marked as pre-release may be used if no hiccups arise from normal usage.
  • sdmc:/boot.firm
  • sdmc:/boot.3dsx
  • sdmc:/luma/payloads/GodMode9.firm
  • sdmc:/gm9/scripts/GM9Megascript.gm9

Run this script function to update the CTRNAND Luma3DS and CTRNAND GodMode9.

For good measures, update the FIRM0/FIRM1 partitions to boot9strap v1.3 (ie, the backbone of the 3DS CFW magic).

Got outdated homebrew apps?
  • Revisit the other sections in Finalizing Setup or check out Universal-Updater.
  • There is a 'CFW starter kit' for those who want to try a little of everything.

defunct32

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
That means the n2DSXL requires updating some CFW files on the SD card and/or CTRNAND.

Download Luma3DS v10.2, Homebrew Launcher v2.1.1, and GodMode9 v1.9.1; add these to your SD card. If there are newer releases of those files than the versions listed here, go with the latest available stable build. Any that are marked as pre-release may be used if no hiccups arise from normal usage.
  • sdmc:/boot.firm
  • sdmc:/boot.3dsx
  • sdmc:/luma/payloads/GodMode9.firm
  • sdmc:/gm9/scripts/GM9Megascript.gm9

Run this script function to update the CTRNAND Luma3DS and CTRNAND GodMode9.

For good measures, update the FIRM0/FIRM1 partitions to boot9strap v1.3 (ie, the backbone of the 3DS CFW magic).

Got outdated homebrew apps?
  • Revisit the other sections in Finalizing Setup or check out Universal-Updater.
  • There is a 'CFW starter kit' for those who want to try a little of everything.

Thank you, you and @Hayato213 has been extremely helpful and I'm grateful for it.

The 2DS XL has no PIN but has a NNID whom the previous owner do not know the password to as he was a second hand owner.

I'm stuck with CFW I guess? Not a bad thing is it? I can always purchase my games on my New 3DS XL. I also tried playing my physical copies on the 2DS works alright.

I will read up and figure out the 3DS CFW thing and if I need any help I will get in touch again, thanks.

defunct32

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Thanks @TurdPooCharger

Managed to update CFW so the 2DS will work even if the SD card is taken out.

Only thing I have reservations to proceed is the updating of the BS to 1.3 as I purchased this from someone else I do not know if they have installed 1.3, any ways to check the version?

Also, just to inquire to be doubly sure:

20201114_074851.jpg

I shouldn't update, right via conventional means, right?

Thanks in advance.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only thing I have reservations to proceed is the updating of the BS to 1.3 as I purchased this from someone else I do not know if they have installed 1.3, any ways to check the version?[/USER]
There's no harm reflashing the FIRM0/1 partitions to boot9strap v1.3 even if it is already at B9S v1.3. As long as it's done through SafeB9SInstaller v0.0.7, that app will hash check the boot9strap.firm against its *.sha file to ensure it's safe to do so.

Or if you like, there is a way to check what version B9S is already installed.

Also, just to inquire to be doubly sure:

View attachment 233860

I shouldn't update, right via conventional means, right?
It's fine to download the accompanying update title (0004000e) for a game (00040000) from HOME Menu or Nintendo eShop. If you're worried about installing updates for pirated game CIAs, Nintendo doesn't seem to care about the 3DS anymore. You won't get banned.

Keep in mind games can't be updated if your native 3DS firmware does not have matching region. Ex: Can't download the update title for Monster Hunter Stories (JPN) if your 3DS firmware is (EUR). Only way to update would be to download the update CIA from a website and install it with FBI.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

defunct32

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
There's no harm reflashing the FIRM0/1 partitions to boot9strap v1.3 even if it is already at B9S v1.3. As long as it's done through SafeB9SInstaller v0.0.7, that app will hash check the boot9strap.firm against its *.sha file to ensure it's safe to do so.

Or if you like, there is a way to check what version B9S is already installed.

It's fine to download the accompanying update title (0004000e) for a game (00040000) from HOME Menu or Nintendo eShop. If you're worried about installing updates for pirated game CIAs, Nintendo doesn't seem to care about the 3DS anymore. You won't get banned.

Keep in mind games can't be updated if your native 3DS firmware does not have matching region. Ex: Can't download the update title for Monster Hunter Stories (JPN) if your 3DS firmware is (EUR). Only way to update would be to download the update CIA from a website and install it with FBI.

Hi, I would like to say thanks to you and to everyone who has replied and helped out in this thread, this is the only forum I have come across whereby its members do not come across as rude and/or condescending. I feel really lucky as truth be told CFW for the 3DS is really intimidating.

With that said. I have gone and updated the B9S to version 1.3, there were no indication of any sorts but I went through every single step without an error or issue and all games works fine, 2DS booted up without the SD card just fine. All's good.

Once again, thank you so much every one!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay