Country
Indonesia

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm planning to install rxTools (following this tutorial: http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/), and savedatafiler cia to export/import save file from/into my X cartridge.

Still not sure about how savedatafiler works though. Do I have to update to a specific sysNAND (9.0 or 9.2) to get the savedatafiler working for the PKHex?
honestly the whole cfw experience is . . . well an experience you will not understand it all before fou install it (most people get an accomplished feeling when cfw installation is complete because of just how much they learned/completed along the way)

with that said you will not need to update sysnand for this (you play games from emunend and you will likely want to update emunand for game comparability anyway)

edit: the point of updating sysnand is to boot cfw with only the initial press of the power button

Last edited by wormdood,

Noctrine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
honestly the whole cfw experience is . . . well an experience you will not understand it all before fou install it (most people get an accomplished feeling when cfw installation is complete because of just how much they learned/completed along the way)

with that said you will not need to update sysnand for this (you play games from emunend and you will likely want to update emunand for game comparability anyway)

edit: the point of updating sysnand is to boot cfw with only the initial press of the power button

Actually, I've tried to install this before, and yes, I know that accomplished feeling, especially because of the fact that I'm not really familiar with computer or programming stuff. :)
But the outcome seems to be a problem, that I decided to redo the installation.

Speaking of emuNAND, when I first successfully booted the emuNAND from RXMODE, I checked the System Settings for version. It said "RX-E 6.0.0-12U". But when I went back to the Home Menu, and checked the version again, it said "Version 6.0.0-12U"; which means I'm in sysNAND. At this point, I thought that I might messed up the installation process, and decided to reinstall and ask around.

It would be great to know what are your thoughts on my previous installation attempt.

Well I'll give this another try. Thanks for the quick response!

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats normal because of the needed permissions system settings has it does not run in sysnand or emunand but 3ds service mode and when you exit settings it puts you back in sysnand so you did in fact properly install cfw the first time

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
thats normal because of the needed permissions system settings has it does not run in sysnand or emunand but 3ds service mode and when you exit settings it puts you back in sysnand so you did in fact properly install cfw the first time
There is no "service mode" and it runs in sysNAND/emuNAND. But it's designed to restart the 3DS in order to apply the settings, which means it goes back to sysNAND.

D

Deleted-236924

Well technically it runs in elevated privilege mode or something so that it can have the rights to change certain things. But then it has to restart the 3DS when you exit and basically that doesn't really change anything, just semantics.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no "service mode" and it runs in sysNAND/emuNAND. But it's designed to restart the 3DS in order to apply the settings, which means it goes back to sysNAND.
true thats not its name i herd it explained as but from everything i have read it is definitely not normal sysnand/emunand when its running system settings but i will toss in a reminder that i am obviously no kind of dev or anything like that and again this is only what i have read

Noctrine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Oh and one more thing. If I were to update the sysNAND to 6.1 (via cartridge "nag") in order to launch X/Y game, will I still be able to boot rxTools and use the savedatafiler?

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh and one more thing. If I were to update the sysNAND to 6.1 (via cartridge "nag") in order to launch X/Y game, will I still be able to boot rxTools and use the savedatafiler?
this is the bad way to do it game card updates are often incomplete and contain stub files
you want update? do it like this
How to Update your 3DS/2DS to 9.0 or 9.2

If you want to boot rxTools as soon as you turn on your 3DS, then you need to set-up Menuhax; and to use Menuhax, you need to be on 9.0 - 9.2 firmware.
Warning: This can brick your 3DS if done incorrectly! Be sure that you follow the instructions carefully!

Requirements:
  • FBI installed in sysnand (Step 4a if you don't have Gateway or Ninjhax) OR any other cia installer on Sysnand
  • A rxTools 3.0 nightly (preferably the one linked in Step 2)
Let's get started.
  1. Click HERE
  2. Click the CIA Format DLC's, Themes & Updates [Archive] result
  3. Click View Full Version : CIA Format DLC's, Themes & Updates at the top of the page
  4. Find the thread titled [MEGA] [CIA/BIN] MSET 4.X & 6.X backups, Browser backups, Update packs (All Regions)
  5. Scroll down to the section titled Updates
  6. Download either the 9.2 modified update pack for your region, or a 9.0 or 9.2 Full Update Pack for you region
  7. Once downloaded, open the archive and find the "updates" folder; place it on your SD card. There should be many cia files in that folder.
    • Example: SD:/updates/0004013000008003.cia
  8. Download Sysupdater
  9. Open the archive and put sysUpdater.cia on your SD card
  10. Insert your SD card in your 3DS
  11. Hold L while launching rxTools to get into the rxTools menu
  12. Press DPAD RIGHT until you highlight ADVANCED OPTIONS, then press A
  13. Go down to DEVMODE and press A
  14. After a few seconds, you should now be in sysnand; firmware spoofing is disabled but cias can still be launched in this mode.
  15. Launch FBI
  16. Install sysUpdater.cia (Destination: SD)
  17. Once installed, press HOME to see sysUpdater wrapped as a gift; unwrap it.
  18. Launch sysUpdater
  19. sysUpdater will ask you if you are sure you want to go ahead with the update; choose to accept it.
    • It will also tell you that you shouldn't be in Gateway mode, or have firmware spoofing. Do not worry about this, DEVMODE has no firmware spoofing, so sysUpdater will work as intended. Just be absolutely sure you are in DEVMODE (line 13), not RXMODE SYSNAND!
  20. Wait for sysUpdater to finish. When it is done, your 3DS will reboot into 9.0 or 9.2 firmware! You can now follow the steps to use Menuhax if you'd like.
taken from this guide [Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (Old 3DS and 2DS)

Last edited by wormdood,
Reactions: samiam144

Noctrine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
this is the bad way to do it game card updates are often incomplete and contain stub files
you want update? do it like this
taken from this guide [Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (Old 3DS and 2DS)

Gonna try that but the brick warning got me thinking :unsure:

Use sysupdater to update to 9.2 Pay Attention to the above tutorial and dont skip any steps. Make sure you jave a nand back up before anything.

Thanks for the advice! But I'll stick with 6.0 for the moment.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gonna try that but the brick warning got me thinking :unsure:

Thanks for the advice! But I'll stick with 6.0 for the moment.
it is safe if as @vb_encryption_vb said you follow all the instructions properly
. . . i don't want to sound rude but if you cook your own food there is a chance you can kill yourself or others with your kitchen knife . . . but as long as your careful and take your time all will be good especially your meal . . . am i making sense here

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: