2ds not charging but works powered through charger

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by huggishunter666, Mar 17, 2016.

1. huggishunter666
    OP

huggishunter666 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2016
    as the title says bought a 2ds it does not charge but when its plugged in it works fine, as soon as you unplug it it switches off. when you initially plug it in the charge light comes on for a couple of seconds then goes out. the battery is showing 4v through the multimeter & the power socket is soldered on fine.

i have read about kiosk models only working through mains power but i have not found a way to id one?

i am getting a shot of my brothers 3ds to try the battery out of there just to rule out anything with the battery but is their anything else i can check out or is their any way of id'ing a kiosk model ??

Thanks for any assistance

Andrew

so have now tried with a fully charged battery from my brothers 3ds & it will not power up without mains power so is there anything else i can check to try & get it working from a battery any fuses etc....

Thanks

Andrew

2. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Team Skull ☠️Grunt☠️

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    You could buy one of those extended battery thing which when you turn on charges the system.

3. dg_dex

dg_dex GBAtemp Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    Was the 2DS new or used when you purchased it?

4. Blue_Mew

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    It is a kiosk unit,not broken.

5. dg_dex

dg_dex GBAtemp Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    Sorry my bad. I completely missed that the OP mentioned that. I was starting to think that someone may of opened the back shell and had installed the battery flipped (reverse polarity).

6. huggishunter666
    OP

huggishunter666 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2016
    so does not working on battery power id it as a kiosk model ? do they do those extended battery's for the 2DS?
    so if it is a kiosk model is it worth anything as a collectable or is it just an 2DS without portability?

7. Blue_Mew

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    They do have thos battery's for the 2DS and I think they cost a little bit than a new 2DS, so it's not worth it as for the value of it, it is just a 2DS that has lost its portability.

8. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    I would sell it at a pawn shop with an AC adapter so you can demonstrate that it works. Then go buy a 2DS from them that works on battery.

9. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    (warning: this is very risky)
    try opening the 2ds and look at the battery port to see if it's loose from the board. if it is, nudge the connector until it touches the metal on the board, then try again.

My 3ds charge port was loose of the mainboard so that's what I did to "fix" it.

10. Blue_Mew

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    Its not broken, its just how its made (kiosk unit) although the OP was looking for a solution.

11. huggishunter666
    OP

huggishunter666 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2016
    Yeah i did try poking the charge port but as its a kiosk unit it did nowt (unsurprisingly) haven't been able to find a link for the external battery pack but I think I'll probably end up trying to move it on & try & source a normal one !!

Thanks for the assistance though nice to know I'm not going crazy !!

Andrew

12. leerz

leerz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 11, 2015
    Makati
    there's a thing called charge IC that needs replacement for it to charge

13. huggishunter666
    OP

huggishunter666 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2016
    Charge IC ?? have you any details or links for this so i can find out more ?

Thanks

Andrew

14. dg_dex

dg_dex GBAtemp Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    Your issue was the one that came to mind. That's why I asked if the console was new or used. But it's confirmed that this console is a Kiosk model. From what I've read so far. The Kiosk models are programmed differently to stop charging. The main feature is apparently so that console stays powered on at all times. Members from here have been discussing this over on reddit. I don't think the charge IC is going to be a problem here.

Last edited by dg_dex, Mar 21, 2016
    leerz likes this.
  15. leerz

leerz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 11, 2015
    Makati
    I see no problem checking if there's power on the line back to the battery :)

16. reiyu

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    iirc, kiosk units either don't have battery, or their battery straight up is dead. i've seen lots of kiosk units being sold and the disclaimer was not working without charger.