2DS... is it possible to downgrade the system or use the Profile Exploit?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by skfields01, Sep 17, 2015.

1. skfields01
    OP

skfields01 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2003
    United States
    I just got a couple of 2DS systems. Both are on 6.0. I also have a Gateway.

Is it possible to downgrade the system OR a way to be able to use the Profile Exploit? I am not a fan of the Internet Browser boot into the Gateway version. Like to have the offline mode to boot the Gateway as my own personal preference.

2. samiam144

samiam144 RĂ©gulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    You can use the profile exploit, but not with Gateway - only CFW like Cakes and rxTools.

Downgrading a 2DS will mess it up badly (although it's possible to fix it if you leave the Wifi on before downgrading so you can access the Gateway menu still).

MelonGx and Margen67 like this.
  3. skfields01
    OP

skfields01 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2003
    United States
    So don't bother trying the downgrade, but the profile exploit is doable and ok?

4. Wizardkoer

Wizardkoer Wii Veteran

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    Yea just use the MSET profile exploit to load a CFW such as rxtools.

5. skfields01
    OP

skfields01 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2003
    United States
    Is there a guide to do this. Still learning.

Margen67 likes this.
  6. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    WARNING!!!!! Only use the 6.x MSET, not 4.x. If you use 4.x, then if you ever do a system format your 2DS will be bricked (as during the start-up process, it will ask you to test your 3D slider, which the 2DS does not have. So you'll be stuck at that point.)

I'm not sure where the guide is but if you do a search of the forum you will find one. I followed a really good one that went through every possible combination of stuff you could have. All different firmwares, whether you owned a DS flashcart, Gateway or Cubic Ninja, etc.

MelonGx likes this.
  7. skfields01
    OP

skfields01 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2003
    United States
    Quantumcat,

Thanks again for the help and info. Not even sure if it is worth do to it. Seems so much more complicated than I though it would be.

Quantumcat likes this.
  8. skfields01
    OP

skfields01 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2003
    United States
    I am really just learning how to do things and am not very knowledgeable quite yet.

Can someone give me a decent premise of what Mset and rxTools are and do?

I was trying to take my new 2DS systems and make them use the profile exploit with the Gateway cart, but it just seems overly complicated with my limited knowledge. And I really don't want to destroy these new systems.

9. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    RxTools basically does the same thing as Gateway - lets you use non-signed software and boot into emuNAND. I think with a 6.x system you don't even need to do anything special - you just install the rxTools nds file with your DS flashcart (choose the 6.x option in the menu that comes up) then you can boot into it with the profile exploit (go to Settings, Other Settings, Profile, DS Profile).if your system was a higher firmware it would just require a tiny bit extra time as you would downgrade the system settings app to allow the profile exploit before installing it with the nds file.

Do a search of the forum for rxTools guide and it should come up. I promise it won't be too complicated. If you have a Gateway cart it is even easier than for other people as you can install big blue menu or dev menu easily and don't have to stuff about with FBI and the health and safety app.

10. skfields01
    OP

skfields01 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2003
    United States
  11. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Yes that is the one. Just do each step in order, and pay attention to do the parts that apply to you and skip the parts that don't. Read over the whole of each step before starting it. It is only really long because it covers every possible combination of stuff. You'll find you probably only need to do about 20% of it. If you have any problems feel free to ask me. I also had a 6.x machine (a 3ds XL) and a gateway card so I would probably have done everything that you will be required to do. I also have a cubic ninja but I don't think it was required.

Margen67 likes this.
  12. skfields01
    OP

skfields01 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2003
    United States
    Ok. I'll read it over several times and then try and condense it to what I just need to do and get back with you to seem if I got it right... Before I attempt it. If that is ok with you.

Quantumcat likes this.
  13. samiam144

samiam144 RĂ©gulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    Hi,

I suggest you make a sysnand backup first using Gateway.
    After doing that, this is the only section you have to do to get MSET working with rxTools:

6.X
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Quantumcat likes this.
  14. legofan623

legofan623 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 3, 2011
    United States
    Puyallup, WA
    Really the only upside to rxTools is that you don't need internet to launch emuNAND. You lose .3ds support too as no Gateway select button menu.

Quantumcat likes this.
  15. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    That's a pretty darn big upside. Haven't you seen the hundreds of people complaining that gateway never made mset for the old 3ds? That's probably the main reason people shifted from gateway to rxTools.

16. skfields01
    OP

skfields01 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2003
    United States
    So use my Gateway and go to Nand Backup and do that first? Is that the same a sysnand?

Then go to that last step above with 6.x to get MSET working with rxTools?

Also... None of my .3ds backup roms won't work anymore?

Now I am getting confused again.

17. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You can use your .3ds roms but only if you go into Gateway mode using the browser. If you boot into rxMode (using the profile exploit) you can only use installed CIAs.

18. skfields01
    OP

skfields01 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2003
    United States
    CIA's?

Remember, I know nothing and am learning from all you nice and helpful people.

19. skfields01
    OP

skfields01 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2003
    United States
    Ok. So doing a little research on my own... See if I have got this right.

1. I can boot the Gateway normally through the Browser Exploit using my normal .3ds roms.
    2. If I want to boot games using the Profile Exploit... I have to install rxTools, convert all my .3ds games into cia files, boot into rxTools to load a game.

Is that somewhat right?

Quantumcat likes this.
  20. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    CIA = Citra Installation Archive (I think)

Citra is Nintendo's code name for the 3DS

It's used to install games or apps to the 3DS homescreen.

dela likes this.