ROM Hack 2DS freezes after opening any software, should I restore NAND backup?

Lotoonlink

Probably doesn't know what he's talking about
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My sister brought me her 2DS just now (which I've put CFW and b9s on), and she has this issue where anytime she boots any software from the 2DS home menu, the entire system freezes and must be hard shut down. Here are the specifications of what I've seen:
  • 2DS Freezes after any software is booted (including things like system settings, pressing L+R to activate the camera, booting any game cartridge, and selecting the home menu settings)
  • The system freezes but the home menu music continues to play (the music keeps playing after holding the power button for a second when the screen turns black; the music only ever stops once the system has fully shut down)
  • Entering safe mode on boot results in a black screen
  • Both Luma and Godmode9 can be booted into.
  • The battery and wifi indicator does not appear on the home menu
  • Performing a soft-shut down (holding the power button briefly and selecting shut down) does not result in the shutdown UI, even when the system hasn't frozen yet
  • All of the above still occur without an SD card or game card in the system.

The only backup I have of her device is from setting up CFW as part of the guide, is restoring from this backup going to delete all save data and downloaded games on her system since the backup? If so, this should be a last resort.

I appreciate any help and thanks for the assistance! I'm willing to provide any additional information I could have glossed over in my post.

Last edited by Lotoonlink,

Lotoonlink

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reminds me of this o2DS after eliminating its hardware problems.
Attempt 3DS firmware repair with CTRTransfer (Type D9) - CTRTransfer.
I followed the guide until

Put the CTRTransfer files of choice at:
  • sdmc:/gm9/in/11.5.0-38X_ctrtransfer_x3ds.bin
  • sdmc:/gm9/in/11.5.0-38X_ctrtransfer_x3ds.bin.sha
Where I don't know where to get the files mentioned (11.5.0-38X_ctrtransfer_x3ds.bin and 11.5.0-38X_ctrtransfer_x3ds.bin.sha)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Reminds me of this o2DS after eliminating its hardware problems.
Attempt 3DS firmware repair with CTRTransfer (Type D9) - CTRTransfer.
Also, does the guide here https://3ds.hacks.guide/ctrtransfer.html work as well as yours?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed the guide until

Put the CTRTransfer files of choice at:
  • sdmc:/gm9/in/11.5.0-38X_ctrtransfer_x3ds.bin
  • sdmc:/gm9/in/11.5.0-38X_ctrtransfer_x3ds.bin.sha
Where I don't know where to get the files mentioned (11.5.0-38X_ctrtransfer_x3ds.bin and 11.5.0-38X_ctrtransfer_x3ds.bin.sha)
These are obtained by downloading with a bittorrent client from the magnet link of choice at the standard [3ds.hacks.guide] CTRTransfer release page. Choose by region and old/new model.

Also, does the guide here https://3ds.hacks.guide/ctrtransfer.html work as well as yours?
Because of the expected severity of your softbrick like in the case for the other o2DS, I am recommending the repair be done with the alternative CTRTransfer (Type D9).

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: Lotoonlink

Lotoonlink

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These are obtained by downloading with a bittorrent client from the magnet link of choice at the standard [3ds.hacks.guide] CTRTransfer release page. Choose by region and old/new model.

Because of the expected severity of your softbrick like in the case for the other o2DS, I am recommending the repair be done with the alternative CTRTransfer (Type D9).
Ok now I got to this part of the guide:

13. Install the system tickets and DSiWare CIAs with FBI. Restore tickets for nonlegit titles with faketik. If you have a lot of games, unwrap them all with Cthulhu.

But when I try opening the camera applet (by pressing L + R) the system freezes again. Trying to reboot with the Rosalina menu into the Homebrew Launcher has the same effect

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok now I got to this part of the guide:

13. Install the system tickets and DSiWare CIAs with FBI. Restore tickets for nonlegit titles with faketik. If you have a lot of games, unwrap them all with Cthulhu.

But when I try opening the camera applet (by pressing L + R) the system freezes again. Trying to reboot with the Rosalina menu into the Homebrew Launcher has the same effect

Rosalina menu inject Homebrew Launcher to a different system title like Download Play or AR Games. Continue with the rest of the Instructions.

Interesting. Because of the camera freeze, that gives a clue the underlying cause of the brick your o2DS is experiencing is actually hardware based. There's a high probability your o2DS will not be able to system update when you reach step 14.

Have you ever disassembled electronics before?

Lotoonlink

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rosalina menu inject Homebrew Launcher to a different system title like Download Play or AR Games. Continue with the rest of the Instructions.

Interesting. Because of the camera freeze, that gives a clue the underlying cause of the brick your o2DS is experiencing is actually hardware based. There's a high probability your o2DS will not be able to system update when you reach step 14.

Have you ever disassembled electronics before?

I successfully dissembled the 2DS and reconnected the WiFi card which had come loose. Now the problem has stopped occurring and everything works properly.

My question now is, do I have to finish the process you detailed or can I immediately revert back to the backup I made at the beginning of your CTRNand transfer guide? If I restore that NAND backup I made and the SD card backup will the all the data go back to normal? How would I go about restoring this NAND backup.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I successfully dissembled the 2DS and reconnected the WiFi card which had come loose. Now the problem has stopped occurring and everything works properly.

My question now is, do I have to finish the process you detailed or can I immediately revert back to the backup I made at the beginning of your CTRNand transfer guide? If I restore that NAND backup I made and the SD card backup will the all the data go back to normal? How would I go about restoring this NAND backup.
Complete the rest of the instructions all the way to step 16, and backup the SysNAND. This detour step will be known as (step 17 - Lotoonlink).

Restore the SysNAND with the image created from step 8.

If the o2DS works perfectly fine launching and using:
  • 3DS games [NATIVE_FIRM]
  • DS(i)Ware games [TWL_FIRM]
  • GBA VC games [AGB_FIRM]
  • Recovery Mode [SAFE_FIRM]
  • camera applet, Nintendo 3DS Camera [both front & rear cameras]
  • Nintendo eShop, theme shop, Internet browser, multiple player online play [WiFi access]
, retain the state of the NAND just like how it was before the CTRTransfer.

However, if you found stability problems, restore the SysNAND again with the image created in (step 17 - Lotoonlink).

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)