Hacking 2DS 11.5. Got Homebrew Launcher working, stuck now.

tigerino2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I got a pretty cheap secondhand 2DS (the old model, the one that doesn't fold). It was on firmware 11.5 when I got it, but I managed to get Hombrew Launcher through FreakyHax. I'm kinda stuck now though, I'm not really sure how to proceed. I tried running Emunand9 to create an emunand, and then use Luma's boot.3dsx instead of the homebrew launcher's one to get into it later. But Emunand9 doesn't boot, it just gives me a red screen as it loads and then I'm back to Homebrew Launcher again. Decrypt9 was the only other one I tried, but it also failed to boot and kicked me back to the hombrew launcher menu.

Any help on how to get CFW (preferably Luma) working on this 2DS would be greatly appreciated. I've read 11.5 is kinda hard to hack, but since I already owned FreakyForms (which I used for my o3DS with Freakyhax) and read about the new payloads, I figured I'd buy the 2DS anyway.

If possible, I would prefer methods that don't involve buying additional games or using my old 3DS that i have lying around, but that's an option if there really is no other way.

tigerino2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can't get CFW on 11.5 with just homebrew launcher access
And it's better to have B9S than Emunand
So... is there any other way? Do I even need CFW to begin with? I just want to be able to install .cia games on it. I've never heard of B9S though, is that hard to set up, or does that require additional stuff like buying games? Sorry, I haven't really kept up with the developments after I got my old 3DS working a few years ago.

tigerino2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
On 11.5, there are only three ways to get CFW up and running. Merely having access to the Homebrew Launcher is not enough:
  1. ntrboot method
  2. DSiWare method
  3. Hardmod method
There's no other way to setup CFW.
Well, I don't really have soldering equipment and don't feel particularly at ease doing a hardmod... I have an old Gateway card, but that doesn't seem to work for the ntrboot method either...
That only leaves the DSiWare method then? That'll require me to do some work on my old 3DS then to get it up to date with the guide, it's still using ThemeHax to boot into Luma's boot.3dsx.

Also, like I asked above: CFW is required to install .cia games, right? I can't just use FBI from Homebrew Launcher and install them to the SysNAND?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I don't really have soldering equipment and don't feel particularly at ease doing a hardmod... I have an old Gateway card, but that doesn't seem to work for the ntrboot method either...
That only leaves the DSiWare method then? That'll require me to do some work on my old 3DS then to get it up to date with the guide, it's still using ThemeHax to boot into Luma's boot.3dsx.
First, I would recommend upgrading to B9S on your old 3DS. After that, since you already have a 3DS with CFW, the DSiWare method will be the cheapest method for you to do.

Also, like I asked above: CFW is required to install .cia games, right? I can't just use FBI from Homebrew Launcher and install them to the SysNAND?
It takes more than mere access to the Homebrew Launcher to be able to install CIA files. You need CFW to be able to install the CIA files you want to install.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You won't be able to use FBI either. You can't do anything you want without arm9 kernel exploit, which doesn't exist in 11.5 without something like b9s

tigerino2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay, thanks for the replies. Seems like "Faceez: Monsters!" would be the cheapest game to use for me as both consoles are EU region. Would upgrading to B9S lose me all my saves and installed games? Or does it not touch my emunand on my old 3DS that I'll use as the source?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, thanks for the replies. Seems like "Faceez: Monsters!" would be the cheapest game to use for me as both consoles are EU region. Would upgrading to B9S lose me all my saves and installed games? Or does it not touch my emunand on my old 3DS that I'll use as the source?
Upgrading your old 3DS to B9S will not remove your games nor save files. You can use the same emuNAND or, preferably, transfer the emuNAND to your sysNAND when you're done.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would just wait for ntrboot to support gateway blue card. I've heard it's going to be supported sometime soon

tigerino2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I would just wait for ntrboot to support gateway blue card. I've heard it's going to be supported sometime soon
That sounds like the cheapest option, and one that would require a lot less work on my part too. I mean, I'm glad I got my old 3DS working, I'd rather just leave it as it is. Took a lot of work to get where I am with it now, no use risking to mess that up if it's not needed.

Any timeframe on when "sometime soon" would be? I was planning on giving this 2DS to my sister for her birthday, hacked and all. That's in 2 months, so if it's not going to be available before then I'd probably go for the DSiWare method after all.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sounds like the cheapest option, and one that would require a lot less work on my part too. I mean, I'm glad I got my old 3DS working, I'd rather just leave it as it is. Took a lot of work to get where I am with it now, no use risking to mess that up if it's not needed.

Any timeframe on when "sometime soon" would be? I was planning on giving this 2DS to my sister for her birthday, hacked and all. That's in 2 months, so if it's not going to be available before then I'd probably go for the DSiWare method after all.
There's no reason to think that's going to happen anytime soon, if ever. As far as I can tell, it's not even being worked on.

tigerino2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's not on the official list of cartridges being worked on, and I don't even know if the Gateway blue cartridge is even flashable.
This. Just did a quick search on it and found the people working on ntrboot actually admitting that they had no idea how to flash to the blue GW card, and then someone said it was indeed not possible. That was from last year though, don't know if they found a way in the meantime.

Just realized I do have a DSTT lying around, as well as a few other, older cards... Even a 3DSLink.

DSTT is on the list.
In that case, might be worth waiting on that one. I'm not using my DSTT card atm, so I could just use it for that. Could you link me to that list so I can keep an eye on it?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This. Just did a quick search on it and found the people working on ntrboot actually admitting that they had no idea how to flash to the blue GW card, and then someone said it was indeed not possible. That was from last year though, don't know if they found a way in the meantime.

Just realized I do have a DSTT lying around, as well as a few other, older cards... Even a 3DSLink.

In that case, might be worth waiting on that one. I'm not using my DSTT card atm, so I could just use it for that. Could you link me to that list so I can keep an eye on it?
What list are you looking at? The one on flashcart_core github doesn't have it
http://cfw.guide/ntrboot/compatibility

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs