ROM Hack Ace Attorney Investigations 2: Miles Edgeworth Fan Translation

Chaze the chat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In a Q and A segment on Capcom's website, they said there were no new plans for localizing AAI2. However, over at Court Records, they are creating a fan translation. Since you are all the experts, I was wondering if any of you would like to help us get started. http://z11.invisionfree.com/court_records/...c=4060&st=0 The main topic for this. Thank you in advanced.
biggrin.gif

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The first thing that occurs to me is that you may be able to look at the original Gyakuten Saiban trilogy as a base.
They include both a japanese and english language option, reverse engineering that may supply a good way to change the japanese characters and string management to english.

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a group that's translating AAI1 to French. (Just search the forum and you should find it.) You might ask for some helps from them or read how they got it to work.

I don't know how similar the file structures for AAI1 and AAI2 are, but you might get some idea on how to hack the game if you learn a bit about file structures of the previous games. (There're a few threads on Gyakuten Saiban/Phoenix Wright hacks too. You might read them, both here and at romhacking.net.)

As far as I remember, AAI1 doesn't use normal encoding table and you'll have to create the table by yourself. (I remembered someone posted a table for AAI1 too but I couldn't find which thread. Anyway, in your case here, you'll need a Japanese table to extract the script.)

Mcfan2

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Im no good at translating but THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUU!

HOLD IT!
There is one small issue.....what about voice files like OBJECTION, HOLD IT, EUREKA and the new OVERRULED and CHECK MATE!
The last 2 are going to be difficult since there are no voice files available.

Singularity_UK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sure some fans will do voice acting. As for Edgeworth needing a Checkmate now, just find someone who can do a voice very similar to Edgeworth's.

With regards to the project, I'd suggest just getting it all actually translated first. It's a fairly linear game (even more linear than Gyakuten Saiban) so it shouldn't be too complicated to get it all down on 'paper' in a comprehensible format.

Then figure out how to get the text into the game. You can't build a skyscraper if the foundations aren't solid.

GSR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very impressive! I think a Court-Records member's already sent you a PM, but CR would be happy to work on the translation end (and do the hacking grunt work if need be.)

GSR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
Wha happend to the original court records website anyway? It has been offline for more than a half year.

The site is still up, but the normal forums have been down for so long due to the webmaster having serious problems in his life. Content-wise, Croik (the site's owner) isn't interested in Ace Attorney as much these days and as such hasn't updated with GK2 stuff.

DeMatador

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
WiiBricker said:
Wha happend to the original court records website anyway? It has been offline for more than a half year.

Hm? I can access it just fine.

Now the main C-R forums, forums.court-records.net, indeed, have been offline since October.

Also, yes, I have sent hackotedelaplaque a PM offering him a place inside C-R's Fan Translation Project, or, at the very least, asking for his assistance. I'm a moderator at C-R, and am, in a way, co-leading the Translation Project, management-wise.

D

Deleted-236924

Teclo said:
Singularity_UK said:
I'm sure some fans will do voice acting.
If it's just for the HOLD IT and OBJECTION this should be okay. But "fan dub" is such a horrible phrase...
But there already are official "Hold it", "Objection" and "Take That" in the first AAI.
Couldn't they just reuse those?

But we'd be stuck with the Japanese voices for other characters that weren't present in the first.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pingouin7 said:
Teclo said:
Singularity_UK said:
I'm sure some fans will do voice acting.
If it's just for the HOLD IT and OBJECTION this should be okay. But "fan dub" is such a horrible phrase...
But there already are official "Hold it", "Objection" and "Take That" in the first AAI.
Couldn't they just reuse those?

But we'd be stuck with the Japanese voices for other characters that weren't present in the first.
What's wrong with the Japanese voices? It seems like more trouble for them to insert the old voices, I say we stick with the Japanese ones.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Dammit, Capcom, Why no AAI2?

Ace Attorney is about the story, if you don't understand the story, you have no game.

*gives Capcom Damon Gant's neverending stare*
Good luck you guys.
smile.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ron975 said:
Dammit, Capcom, Why no AAI2?

Ace Attorney is about the story, if you don't understand the story, you have no game.

*gives Capcom Damon Gant's neverending stare*
Good luck you guys.
smile.gif
Seriously, Capcom is making a foolishly foolish mistake that the fools and their foolish pockets and eventually they will foolishly come to rue the foolishly foolish day foolishly.

DeMatador

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
To those wondering about voices, we will reuse all voice clips for all reappearing characters, but will cast new voice actors for new characters. As far as I know, no returning character from previous games have any new yells in AAI2.

To ellaborate on this last part, Edgeworth has no yell for the Logic Chess system, so no, "Checkmate!" doesn't exist. It'd been cool, but it's a huge relief, since we don't have to find a voice actor that sounds like his official voice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night