Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For those who dont know, Windows started out with Windows 1.0 back in 1985

Today is exactly 25 years ago

http://techland.com/2010/11/17/25-years-of...-microsofts-os/

QUOTE said:
On Nov. 20, 1985, Microsoft released the first version of its flagship computer platform, Windows 1.0, beginning the reign of the world's most prevalent – and most exasperating – operating system. Today, Windows still dominates the computing platform market, with 92.5% of all computers running a Windows OS. But, as even the most ardent of Windows loyalists would admit, popularity doesn't always mean perfection.

We're looking back on Windows' 25 years with our picks for the greatest hits -- and the biggest flops -- in its turbulent history.

Read more: http://techland.com/2010/11/17/25-years-of.../#ixzz15oZc2Q2z

Source

A fun video to watch to see everything go from 1.0 to Vista (Nothing untill 7 sadly enough)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y48rthTbrA8&NR=1

I myself love Windows and probably wouldnt want OSX or Linux as my main box, I have a nostalgic feeling everytime I see Windows 1.0 though thinking about when I was a wee lad....
laugh.gif

So here we go!

CONGRATULATIONS MICROSOFT!

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
been using it since win 3.1 which came with my 486 (yeah 486
laugh.gif
)
w95 was cool cos 3.1 sucked and wasn't really an os since everything ran in dos back than
tongue.gif

98 was better than 95
win NT, 2000 and win me were ALL jokes of creations
xp was awesome
vista or should i say crashta sucked
laugh.gif

and windows 7 is perfect
smileipb2.png

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
My first windows OS was indeed 95 though I did get to use 3.1 at a friend's. I held back from upgrading from 98/ME to XP like an idiot fearing performance and stability issues, which at the time did indeed seem to get worse with every new Windows. I loved XP when I started using it, but mourned the loss of some software compatibility.

Said it before and I'll say it again. Vista wasn't bad. Just ahead of its time. Third parties just weren't ready for it. Nor were hardware prices. Windows 7's fixes and performance boost are neglectable. Perhaps they were indeed massive on specific configurations, which had issues with it at first, but not for me. Whatever didn't work with vista - games, hardware, performance - will not work with windows 7 either, except the years have made updated software and cheaper hardware available.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only used windows when Windows 95 came out and games started insisting that they used it instead of DOS.

I miss DOS.

I miss having more HD space.
frown.gif

Workbench rules.

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Bladexdsl said:
laugh.gif
)
w95 was cool cos 3.1 sucked and wasn't really an os since everything ran in dos back than
tongue.gif

98 was better than 95
xp was awesome
laugh.gif

and windows 7 is perfect
smileipb2.png

Windows ME sure, but NT/2000? Are you freaking kidding me? That OS was probably one of the most stable I've ever used, and sure as hell a lot better than 98.
XP wasn't awesome when it was launched, actually, many people continued on 2000 for a long time. Now people are still on XP. Windows 7 is out, there's no need, the Vista disaster is over.

Windows 7 definitely is a rock solid Windows, great for gaming, and software development (at least that's what I primarily use it for). But I think nothing beats Snow Leopard's stability. I like my OS with a Unix core. But that's another story.

Congratulations Microsoft, overall.
smile.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Fucking newbies.

Bladexdsl said:
xp was awesomeXP is ME's features on 2K's core.
I'm serious. Use 2K, ME, then XP and check for yourself.

Also, XP was perceived as shit when it was released (just like vista) because it had many changes (just like vista) and higher requirements (just like vista).

54u5257245.jpg

An actual image from the time period. If you check software from around the time of XP's release, some of the authors gripe about the requirements. In particular one plugin for Winamp (tripex3) says in the readme...
QUOTE said:
Pentium 233MHz+, 32Mb RAM, and Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP. XP will probably need an extra 512Mb RAM and a second hard disk for swap space, because it's like that.

QUOTE(Bladexdsl @ Nov 20 2010, 06:11 AM)
laugh.gif

and windows 7 is perfect
smileipb2.png
Windows 7 is a modification of Vista.
I've never had Vista crash on me.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Bladexdsl said:
laugh.gif
)
tongue.gif

98 was better than 95
xp was awesome
laugh.gif

and windows 7 is perfect
smileipb2.png

Windows 2000 was actually very good for its time I think.
and also, 3.1 was also good, with all the nice little icons and stuff
smile.gif

xmrnogatcox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Fucking newbies.

Bladexdsl said:
xp was awesomeXP is ME's features on 2K's core.
I'm serious. Use 2K, ME, then XP and check for yourself.

Also, XP was perceived as shit when it was released (just like vista) because it had many changes (just like vista) and higher requirements (just like vista).

54u5257245.jpg

An actual image from the time period. If you check software from around the time of XP's release, some of the authors gripe about the requirements. In particular one plugin for Winamp (tripex3) says in the readme...
QUOTE said:
Pentium 233MHz+, 32Mb RAM, and Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP. XP will probably need an extra 512Mb RAM and a second hard disk for swap space, because it's like that.

QUOTE(Bladexdsl @ Nov 20 2010, 06:11 AM)
laugh.gif

and windows 7 is perfect
smileipb2.png
Windows 7 is a modification of Vista.
I've never had Vista crash on me.

99% of this post is completely true. If you've ever used Windows 2000, you'd see that it's almost identical to XP.

As far as Vista, it is not a BAD operating system. It just pisses me off when a customer brings in a Vista machine that's stuck in a Windows Update reboot loop. There are other issues, but that can be expected with any O/S. It has definately crashed though.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
xmrnogatcox said:
It has definately crashed though.I've never seen a bluescreen that wasn't the fault of either a third-party driver (don't forget pre-installed chipset drivers on OEM images!), a third-party modification to the OS (a recent bug in kaspersky was causing it on a few machines I've seen) or just failing hardware in general (intermittent failing RAM is a bitch to troubleshoot).

But yes, anybody that was actually older than ~7 at the time before XP knows that XP was the Vista of it's time. Instead of waiting it out and rebuilding it, this time Microsoft just made a few more changes and released a more incremential update (like from 98 to 98SE) because they realized that most of the hate towards Vista is just in people's heads and not grounded in reality.

They even did a social experiment.QUOTEMicrosoft last week traveled to San Francisco, rounding up Windows XP users who had negative impressions of Vista. The subjects were put on video, asked about their Vista impressions, and then shown a "new" operating system, code-named Mojave. More than 90 percent gave positive feedback on what they saw. Then they were told that "Mojave" was actually Windows Vista.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember when I first used Windows 3.1 after having used DOS for years. It was pretty cool. Then Windows 95 blew me away as it seemed so futuristic at the time. In retrospect, it had a lot of problems and was seriously flawed. But it was cool the first time I installed the public beta. I later went on to become a beta tester for Microsoft for real and did 98,98se,Me, and Xp. (They kicked me out before Vista for not meeting the requirements). XP again gave me a great feeling, and felt great. I still actually use XP today on my laptop, but I've been debating 7 lately.

I personally think Me gets a bad rap. Now yes, it does deserve a lot of the "Windows 98 TE" jokes it gets, as it probably should not have been released as a full version. I think people were just expecting too much from it. But as a smoother, much more refined version of Win98, I thought it was great.

As for the people who think 2000 was a joke, you obviously have never used 2000. As xmrnogatcox said, XP is 2000's core mixed with 9x's UI.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
HBK said:
Bladexdsl said:
laugh.gif
)
tongue.gif

98 was better than 95
xp was awesome
laugh.gif

and windows 7 is perfect
smileipb2.png

Windows ME sure, but NT/2000? Are you freaking kidding me? That OS was probably one of the most stable I've ever used,
maybe so but it's game performance sucked so did ME and 2000 that's all i care about anyway those OS were mainly made for business's except for ME which was 1 big buggy failure. at the time i didn't know any1 who upgraded to it even shops encouraged you not to use it here and in the end they just stopped selling it
tongue.gif

of course xp sucked at 1st i'm talking about Sp2 version.

windows 7 is NOT like vista it's far more stable, faster and best of all crash proof! and vistas BS rules rules rules you can't do this without being asked about everything thank god you can at least turn it off in w7!! also it's security was insane you couldn't even install new ram without getting permission from m$!
smileipb2.png

D

Deleted User

"And to celebrate, we're going to release Windows 8!" *brandishes copy of Mac OS X*

~back on topic, ME sucked, so let's call that 10 years of Windows instead.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy...