200gb HDD as fat32?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Harsky, Dec 1, 2007.

Dec 1, 2007

200gb HDD as fat32? by Harsky at 7:15 PM (910 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Been giving thought to getting this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...rce=14&doy=1m12

Because it has AV ports at the back and thus I can plug in my VCR and backup a lot of my VHS tapes. The thing is that it says that it only uses fat32 system. I have a spare 200gb HDD but will formatting it to fat32 instead of ntsf just asking for trouble?

2. TheNeck

Member TheNeck GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The main problem is a file can not be bigger than 4gigs, so if you convert a vhs tape and it ends up being bigger than 4gigs, you can not put it on a fat32 hard drive, it gives you a not enough space error message I believe.

Check out this link from Microsoft in regards to limitations with fat32 in WinXP.

3. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I'm not sure if it's the hard drive or the limitations of the fat32 but I put in a bunch of stuff into my 200gb HDD via a different IDE to USB adapter and tried to copy it out of my HDD, it refuses to budge. Maybe it was because I selected a folder that had 5 gb of stuff so I tried again this time just using one 100mb file. Still the same problem. Is this more fat32 problem or HDD problem? It was fixed when I formatted to HTSF but it still gave problem when I tried to copy and paste one 100mb file

4. TheNeck

Member TheNeck GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Might be a hard drive problem, try setting the hard to cable select instead of setting it as master and try again. Also if you can try formatting the hard drive again, make sure not to do a quick format.

5. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Hmm. I was bored so I decided to see if the HDD I installed on my Xbox years ago might work. I opened it. It was the same exact model. Connected it to my USB-IDE connection kit. Computer failed to autoplay it. Still the same problem. I'm starting to guess my USB-IDE kit is the root of the problem or am I just imagining it?

6. shinji257

Member shinji257 61396C68206D61737465722072616365 :3

United States
    Well are you sure the Xbox hard drive isn't locked? Just a thought there but I remember that some hard drive models could be locked which helped prevent (but wasn't guaranteed) you from getting banned off of xbox live. When the drive is locked it won't be seen by the computer until a certain code is sent to the drive.

7. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    No. Because I can remember buying the HDD and thinking, "nah, I don't go online. No point in locking it"