Gaming $20 game card screwed up

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I got some gamecards today, looking to get some stuff on the eshop like I do from time to time. Sadly, the game card I bought was completely screwed up. I rubbed off the silver crap and lo and behold the numbers went with the backing... What the fuck!? What am I supposed to do now? That's $20 wasted!!!!

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's usually what happens when you rub too hard or use the wrong items.

Usually a coin works best. Things like a screwdriver or a needle don't. It's good to know, for the future. What did you use?

Also, are they 100% gone? Can't you make out any of the digits on there?

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The same thing happened to me. Immediately return to the store you bought it from with the receipt and explain the situation.

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usually a coin works best.
Also, are they 100% gone? Can't you make out any of the digits on there?

I used a coin. And they are all gone but for the first 8 digits, so I got half the code. Doesn't matter though... I think I'll just take it back to the store and try to get my money back...

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When you buy the card, the code it held gets activated at the store.
So there are records that can help prove what code you are supposed to have, Nintendo should be able to verify the code and the shop should be able to verify who the code should belong to.

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So they should be able to verify that the code it self has not been used and prove I'm simply not taking in the card used then smudged out the code after the fact... Good, cause I'm way to tired, upset, pissed off, etc to go back into my car and drive around for another hour... I want to sit at home right now, and at least try to find SOMETHING enjoyable to do to relieve the stress these past few days have caused... And no, losing $20 isn't the sole reason why today and yesterday have been not so great, but it sure isn't helping.

Now, if I FOUND $20, that would be a different story.

Seaking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you got it from gamestop you are fucked, just do Nintendo's support like Ryupower said.

it happened to me before, you will need to take pictures of the card and send it to a nintendo email, they will add the funds to your eshop account

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
if you got it from gamestop you are fucked, just do Nintendo's support like Ryupower said.

it happened to me before, you will need to take pictures of the card and send it to a nintendo email, they will add the funds to your eshop account

LOL i hate that bastards.
They didnt gave me NSMB2 Coupon when i purchased 3DS XL, and they did lotsa more $hit.

If i was in your place i would go back to the gamestop :)

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol something similar happened to me once. Scratched too hard on a card and took the last 4 digits out somehow.

Ended up playing the guessing game and got it 20 minutes later lol.

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there was a target around here, I would take you up on your advice, believe me. I've heard a lot of good things concerning game consoles and such from target.

roastable

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Happened to me with an iTunes card once. Their support was pretty good, and thanks to some other identifying codes, they sent me a new code to redeem on iTunes.

I wonder if the same might go for Nintendo?

Randamin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The same thing happen to me with the first card I scratched a few days ago with a coin. It was mostly the lower portion of the numbers but with what may have seemed 15 minutes of detective work was finally able to decipher the jumbled mess. The second card was more careful and opted to use my finger nail which ended up coming off much more cleanly.

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no recovering the code on this one past the first 8 numbers on this card. That's another 8 numbers I would have to brute force... that could take.... a long time.

Whipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More on Target: My personal experience YMMV
I purchased a DSL on their closeout special last year.
Brought it home and it was DOA - didn't do anything.
Went back expecting a hassle.
They took a look at the receipt, checked the serial numbers on the box and the actual unit and handed me a new factory sealed unit.
Took less than 5 min. no hassles and the girl aplogized for me having to bring it back.
Good customer service, will use them in the future for consoles and game cards because of the way I was treated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Boo I thought that was a rejection comment