2 WBFS partitions on 1 drive possible?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by bnm81002, Jun 6, 2009.

Jun 6, 2009
  1. bnm81002
    OP

Member bnm81002 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I was wondering if it was possible to have 2 WBFS partitions on a USB drive? I want to use both the WBFS Manager 3.0.1 and the WBFS Inteligent v6 on my drive, I'm using the WBFS Manager now but I like the fact that the Inteligent v6 as extract back to the PC as an ISO cutting down the size of a game less than the 4.37GB amount, hope it is possible to do it,
    WBFS Manager 3.0.1- http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=153184
    WBFS Inteligent v6- http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=149624

2. dajavax

Member dajavax GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    i don't think you can have 2 wbfs partitions... but... any manager will work with any partition... i mean if you made a partition with one manager, it doesn't mean it won't work with another one... no need to hasve 2 partitions...

3. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    No need to have multiple wbfs partitions
    all managers use the same one [​IMG]
    btw. only the uLoader (=usb loader) by Hermes can see multiple partitions

4. K3G4

Newcomer K3G4 Member

United States
    I know its possible to make two partitions on ur hard drive using the compmgmt.msc utility. (go to Run in the start menu and type "compmgmt.msc" without quotes in). There's the "disk management" selection at the bottom of the left list. You can make multiple partitions on the harddrive like that. Then use your WBFS utilities to format each one. In theory, you can have these two partitions but whether or not it will run, I'm not sure.

5. RC89

Member RC89 GBAtemp Regular

Denmark
    Im pretty sure that this is possible, but is a bit useless in my opinion as well.

6. Kleiner

Newcomer Kleiner Member

United States
    If you use the uLoader that tj_cool mentioned, you can have two seperate WBFS partitions on your drive.

If running vista, right click on My Computer, hit Manage. Select the Disc Management tab under Storage, and then you can partition the external HDD as you see fit. I have mine set up with an NTFS drive and a WBFS drive. Use the NTFS for my personal files and backups, and the WBFS for my Wii games. So far every loader I have tried using just ignores the NTFS drive and goes straight to loading the WBFS; however with two WBFS drives, i think only the uLoader will be able to select one or the other.

However, i don't see any reason for you to set up 2 WBFS drives; any WBFS manager can work with a single drive.

7. madtamski

Member madtamski GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Creating another partition which can be accessed by a loader I suppose is a workaround until WBFS drives can be shrunk/expanded.

I may try this along with Herme's loader later [​IMG]

8. PiNPOiNT

Newcomer PiNPOiNT Member

United States
    No, this does not work, ive tried it. the loaders only find the first partition of games.

you can techincally make 2, but the second set of games wont show up to the loader

9. supagusti

Member supagusti GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    As far as I've heard: uLoader supports 2 WBFS partitions on one drive (and thats the only one that does!!!)

Edit:
    found here -> http://mods.elotrolado.net/~hermes/wii/uloader_v2.0.rar

10. fbrd

Newcomer fbrd Member

United Kingdom
    Yes you can have up to 4 WBFS partitions on one drive.

Useful if you hit the 500 title limit on a big drive.

the only loader that supports this is uloader and you must switch between partitions rather than it presenting all titles in one long list.

wbfs commandline on linux takes the partition desired as one of its arguments so you can specify where to install a particular title.

under windows you assign a drive letter to each partition and the alexDP wbfs manager can happily write to whichever partition you desire. I've not tried other windows wbfs managers.

the mac gui client finds the first partition only. but it is based on (and includes) the command line tool so you can access each partition quite happily from a terminal.

11. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    I don't think someone will get 2000 games [​IMG]

12. fbrd

Newcomer fbrd Member

United Kingdom
    certainly not at the moment but 2 partitions for >500 is reasonable right now.

some folks are sorting their PAL, NTSC-U and NTSC-J on different partitions

13. spiderjjr45

Newcomer spiderjjr45 Member

United States
    How does one go about switching partitions in uLoader? I can only access my first WBFS partition.

14. bunk

Newcomer bunk Member

Canada
    --->How does one go about switching partitions in uLoader? I can only access my first WBFS partition.

Point your Wii remote at the screen to select partition 1, 2, 3 or 4 at the top of the screen (small green rectangles.)